Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-06-2003, 12:27 PM

? about Trash Loc's and additive.

I was told today that Trash-loc need a special additive in the oil to work correctly. Having owned and used one for 5 years ,and 80,000 miles without a single problem, running on straight gear oil (the sulphur based stuff), i was wondering if the other trash loc users actually add the additive??
Old 08-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Reggae

AFAIK, Pretty much all gear oil sold in the US already contains the additive (friction modifier). Here, if you need the oil without additive, you have to order it, or specifically look for it.

Take a look at this:
http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/lsdfmbti.htm
Old 08-06-2003, 12:41 PM

/\/\/\ What Sergey said. I also found that I still needed to add the mopar additive for my track lock to work right eventhough I was using diff oil that already had the additive.

If I didn't add it, the trac lock would engage strangely or not engage at all (it did that anyway half the time after 20K miles).
Old 08-06-2003, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
/\/\/\ What Sergey said. I also found that I still needed to add the mopar additive for my track lock to work right eventhough I was using diff oil that already had the additive.

If I didn't add it, the trac lock would engage strangely or not engage at all (it did that anyway half the time after 20K miles).
If you do end up needing to add a little more friction modifier additive on top of what's already in most GL-5 lubes, do so sparingly. Add just enough to restore normal operation. Too much additive is as bad as not enough.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to RipCurl
Lots of people speak badly of the Trac-lok. I've had mine in my D44 for 54,200 miles. I change my diff oil about once every 10-15k and always add 4 oz of limited slip modifier to the el cheapo 85-90W gear oil. The bottle never says anything about limited slip differentials. The Trac-lok still locks up enough to get my 32s scratching at gravel roads during tight turns. That's without the e-brake applied. When I'm working over an obstacle that the front Lockright doesn't pull me up, a light brake application usually will do the trick.

"There is only one true American sports car... the Jeep."
Enzo Ferrari
Old 08-06-2003, 08:42 PM

All I know is mine was very unhappy about moving my ZJ around after 19,000 miles of driving and multiple offroad trips.