Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-09-2004, 02:31 PM

I need someone to talk me into this or...

...slap me silly for considering it.
Ok, the Ford 8.8 is mine for the taking. It is complete. It does however have 3.73's in it. I need at least 4.10's.
Goody list
Complete Axle
New gears (might as well go to 4.88's)
Someplace to install said gears (4.10 once or 4.88 twice)
MORE install kit ( need welding/welder)
Longer brake cable
Have always wanted a SYE and probably a new drive shaft
Haven't even considered a locker yet.
Jeep will be down only when the axle is ready to go in.

Should I just scrap this whole idea and go with a Super 35? Costs more but less hassle???
Not that I want to be talked out of this but I've always been a Buyer's Remorse kind of guy. Should have seen me when I bought my house, first car, second car....
Thanks.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:07 PM
dennisuello

you'll have buyer's remorse if you go with super35. 8.8 is better in all aspects.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:21 AM

Jason, I PM'ed you. Here's a copy/paste of most of what I mentioned:

I can easily see where you'd be where you are in the decision making situation given the details you mentioned and where you want to go with your rig in the future.

Like you mentioned, at a bare minimum you need 4.10's. So 4.88's are where I'd be looking to go instead of 3.73 to 4.10's. I do realize the added $ because the fronts will need to be changed to match.

I gathered parts & did lots of research, like you are doing, for over 5 months - so I know what you're going through! Isn't it fun??? Jeep=$=Jason=headache. LOL

The costs you mentioned look about right. Maybe the gathering of parts & doing lots of things at the same time is a better route for you since it seems minimal down-time is more of a concern for you, and I can fully understand that.

BTW: If you'd like to chat/call, feel free to give me a ring 24/7.

This is just one area I got lucky:

I got my 8.8 Yukon 4.56's & ARB from a good friend who lives in Colorado (he goes by boulderbob on the Colorado4x4.com forum). He just so happend to get in on a "group buy" through Randy's Ring & Pinion. Then later he found out I was looking for a set, so he got an extra set & passed the savings to me. ARB + R&P + install kit = $724 shipped to my door. What I'm trying to say is: keep your ears to the wall & maybe you'll run across a set for a good deal. Heck, I gave away my old D35C w/4.56 & ARB to a complete stranger for free. I never even met the guy. I just told him he could pick it up at MIT.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
I think you'd be better off with the 8.8" too.
That being said, I had one and gave it away only to put another D35 under my Jeep. Hadn't broke the first one, just needed the gears in the second one.
Now I'm doing another axle swap.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:55 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

jason, i have the 8.8 in my yj, and have had no trouble with it.
as far as the installation, i may have someone that can help you with that. check with jim at www.jcfabanddesign.com
he is located at the 5 and 14 freeways, but worth the drive. he did my 4.88 gears, and arb install.
when you do the gears, you may as well take care of the locker at the same time. i highly recommend the arb locker.
let me know if i can give you any more info on jc fab, or if you would like to get a look at my set up... i am right down the street from you.
let jim know i sent you and to give you a great deal.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>