Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Get Out and Wheel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Get Out and Wheel Head 'em up and move 'em out! We're getting ready for a trail ride! Find a trail ride for your local or not so local area here. You can also post information about upcoming runs and off-road events in this section

Old 08-26-2003, 06:00 AM

Recommended Moab trails for newbie

I've gone to Moab the last two years for mountain biking. This October I'm taking my new (new to me) 99 XJ, mostly stock with a 3" lift, 31s, and rock rails. What trails would you recommend for a newbie to the sport. Wanna have fun, don't wanna roll down a mountain.

Mountain biking in the morning, Jeepin in the afternoon, camping in the desert. Honey, sell the house, send (at least half) the money.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:01 PM

A couple years back, we had a guy in our group who did Behind the Rocks & Pritchett Canyon in an '00 Cherokee with modest 31's & 3" lift. Granted, the guy was new & we did alot of road building for him, but in the end he made it through without much damage.

When you get to town, purchase the "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails", it's by Charles A. Wells. You should be able to buy it at the bookstore across the street from the Visitors Center downtown. A guy named Charlie runs the place I believe. It runs ~$20. The backing is junk!! but the content is pretty good (GPS #'s, pics, difficulty levels, how to get there, maps, expected driving times, tips, etc).

Have fun!
Old 08-27-2003, 05:12 AM

The last two years I've done the "24 Hrs of Moab" mountain bike race. This course is always at Behind the Rocks. Hopefully, it's a lot easier to do in a Jeep than a bike.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:10 AM

I see you mentioned in your opening post: "Wanna have fun, don't wanna roll down a mountain" I probably should have not mentioned BTR & Pritchett as an opening trail run attempt at Moab. What I wanted to mean is that even some of the tougher "known" trails in Moab can be tackled with the right amount of guidance/help & help from spotters in relatively modest built Jeeps.

You may want to stick with a couple of Wells' suggestions as far as easier stuff to begin with. Then work your way up the pucker chain. I thought Top Of The World was real easy, but it's scenery at the top is fantastic!!

I don't know if you are going with a group of fellow off-roaders or not, or if you have GPS or a keen sense of direction, but folks can get lost out there easy enough.

Perhaps early on try Fins & Things & see how that goes. I think this was my first trail there. Hells Revenge & Hells Gate obsticals are in the same area, but these aren't for the faint hearted. Roll overs are common. On your way there, you can do Lion's Back (gotta pay $10), or mini Lion's Back (free).

Most of all....have fun & bring LOTS OF WATER!
Old 08-27-2003, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the info. The last two years I've put together a four man team for the race I mentioned. My team last year included a friend who wanted to tow his XJ (2" budget lift w/ 235s) behind the RV for some off roading. I was never into 4 wheeling but was hooked when we did Fins and Things. A couple months ago my friend bought a Land Rover Disco and I bought his Cherokee. I've since put a real 3" lift, cargo rack, rock rails, and discos on. (The tires are coming soon)
Old 08-27-2003, 02:25 PM
Jes

Re: Recommended Moab trails for newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by kid4lyf
I've gone to Moab the last two years for mountain biking. This October I'm taking my new (new to me) 99 XJ, mostly stock with a 3" lift, 31s, and rock rails. What trails would you recommend for a newbie to the sport. Wanna have fun, don't wanna roll down a mountain.

Mountain biking in the morning, Jeepin in the afternoon, camping in the desert. Honey, sell the house, send (at least half) the money.
When in October? I'll be there for NAXJA's Fall Fling from the 5th to the 13th or so. We'll have all sorts of trail runs for the stockers to the pure junk.

Jes
Old 08-27-2003, 02:29 PM

Unfortunately we'll be a week too late, from the 18th to the 26th.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:32 PM

Re: Recommended Moab trails for newbie

Fin's N Things would be a good trail to play on. 7 Mile Rim would be a fun easier trail also.
Forgot to Mention Poison Spider Mesa and Hells Revenge. Both are rated harder then they actually are IMO and are fun to play on.