Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 03-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

AL Gas Tank Skid - **BLING**

So I've been having a good time working on my aluminum engine/tranny skid. Troy decided to do something a little more challenging. (he is so competitive)

In case anyone is curious, we weighed a 3/16" steel skid so we could compare it to a 3/16" aluminum skid (yes, one can certainly add an extra layer on the bottom to beef it up a bit). The aluminum skid was exactly 40 pounds lighter.

Robert....I know how you can get rid of 40 pounds from your rear end!
Old 03-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Re: AL Gas Tank Skid - **BLING**

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
So I've been having a good time working on my aluminum engine/tranny skid. Troy decided to do something a little more challenging. (he is so competitive)

In case anyone is curious, we weighed a 3/16" steel skid so we could compare it to a 3/16" aluminum skid (yes, one can certainly add an extra layer on the bottom to beef it up a bit). The aluminum skid was exactly 40 pounds lighter.

Robert....I know how you can get rid of 40 pounds from your rear end!
5052?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

yes
Old 03-27-2006, 08:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
So when are you guys gonna ditch the whole building a jeep thing and just start off on a tube buggy?

Old 03-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Tube buggy does me no good. Don't have a tow rig and no plans to get one.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I can't see from your pic, but does he put a provision for the fuel pump (dimple)? Also, it appears he does not use the mounting point adjacent to the tailpipe. Any problems or concerns without that?

As for being lighter, that's definitely a plus! What do you think it would retail for? I think the AL is definitely an under-represented material that could really take off if it isn't too expensive ... and if folks can get over the bigger and heavier = better (e.g. Bulletproof).
Old 03-28-2006, 05:12 AM

40 pounds lighter! Wow, that should make shipping to me on the east coast down right cheap. I think aluminum is too weak. Please send me one to change my mind.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

The mounting point on the exhaust side hasn't been on his production skid for well over a year....probably close to two by now. I've not seen any issues with it not being there.

No fuel pump dimple. Probably doesn't make much difference for this one as it is headed towards an install for a guy that runs the dunes in his rig.

As for pricing....you would have to get a quote. They are not a production item.

I'm not here to debate, defend, etc. the design.....I was simply showing that a 40 pound reduction in a commonly used component can be had by using AL.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
I can't see from your pic, but does he put a provision for the fuel pump (dimple)? Also, it appears he does not use the mounting point adjacent to the tailpipe. Any problems or concerns without that?

As for being lighter, that's definitely a plus! What do you think it would retail for? I think the AL is definitely an under-represented material that could really take off if it isn't too expensive ... and if folks can get over the bigger and heavier = better (e.g. Bulletproof).
The front bracket that's been deleted is the same deletion we've all been running or run on the ACF skid.

It's an engineering thing that is often overlooked by the folks that make skids without thinking it through.

Basically the factory skid due to it's lightweight function and materials in it's duty as almost purely a basket to hold up the tank, needs that second point in the front.

When you go to heavier material, it's not necessary. The boxed sides and the long longitudinal bends form a fairly rigid structure that is able to hold up the tank quite nicely without it.

Also, due to the geography of how and where we smack the skids, that being almost always near the back, the rear frame crossmember takes most of the load for upward movements and the leverage to the front on the single upright mount is negligible.

In my phone conversations with a skid builder about the differences in design, the hypocrisy shown through quite clearly when I was informed that the factory put that mount there, so it must be needed while at the same time deleting the fuel pump dimple.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:43 AM

Looks good Stu....what about pix of *your* project
Old 03-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Updated my skid thread.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:35 AM

that looks good

And that bumper in the back ground is going onto the same rig?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
...As for pricing....you would have to get a quote. They are not a production item.

I'm not here to debate, defend, etc. the design.....I was simply showing that a 40 pound reduction in a commonly used component can be had by using AL.
I think I'll call for a quote on one...polished! Should be shiny to add real bling.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:34 PM

And tell Troy if he'd make a bumper for an 8274 winch & flatfenders, I'd be REALLY interested.

Aluminium skids. Who'da thunk it? If I fold this heavy-duty tin foil over a whole bunch of times, will that work?

"Trackbar axle bolt - need FORK LIKE THINGY "
Old 03-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Originally posted by Iceman
And that bumper in the back ground is going onto the same rig?
I doubt it. That happens to be the shipping counter where the floor scale was located. I put the skid on the corner of the table to take the pic. That steel bumper just happened to be sitting there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M
I think I'll call for a quote on one...polished! Should be shiny to add real bling.
Jim, that I can help you with (the shiny part I mean). The company he sends the AL products to for polishing charge in the $200 ~ $300 range, depending on the item. But they do a nice job....the last pair of rear corner panels came back so shiny you could comb your hair in them.