Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-25-2006, 08:22 AM

installing Staun beadlocks next weekend...

I'm installing staun beadlocks next Sunday and I would love to hear any install tips/tricks/experiences you guys have with them.

thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 06-26-2006, 04:06 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Here is some info I gave via pm to a guy on another board...

[QUOTE=Britain]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkTJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britain
B,
...I have many questions on the installation of these.

There is a special notched tire stem. The instructions say this is for the tire. Your picture doesnt show any special tire stem??

The cap, this fits over the rim without issues??

Ok the cap is aligned to the tire stem, the staun tube is aligned to the stauns stem. ok good so far, pop the last outside tire bead in over the rim and then the room for inspection is really tight. Can you actually feel if the tube or the cap flange is out of placement now?

more ? to come........
1. I didn't use the fancy metal stems because I knew I'd destroy 'em in the rocks. I installed new regular (short as you can get is best) rubber stems and cut a slit in them, like the metal ones have, to let more air flow.

2. It's a pain in the ass to get over the last section of rim. a little force is needed.

3. nope, not really. make sure the black parts that align over the tire stem arn't caught between the tire bead and the rim. just push the tire down a little so you can see they're clear.

then inflate the staun to about 15psi. now inflate the tire to seat the bead, no more than necessary. then inflate the staun to about 40psi. if everything is where it should be you can now air you tire up to normal pressure. once it's up, make sure air will escape when trying to air down.

if something is out of place it won't allow you to air the tire up or down. if this ever happens, let all of the air out of the staun and you should be able to air down the tire and break the bead to see what's up.

if the tube is twisted it may burst airing it up to 40, I've heard about this but it's never happened to me.

FWIW, i run mine at 46psi.
and a picture of the valve stem placement...
Old 06-26-2006, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:22 PM

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:28 PM

Question a question

Quote:
Originally posted by blkTJ
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
Brian, given my inexperience, just how long do you think that it will take me to do the install per tire?
Old 06-27-2006, 11:08 PM

well, given drilling the wheels and figuring out the tire suspension rigging the first one will probably take an hour. By the time you get to the 4th you should be down to under a half an hour.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:43 PM

Got em all done. Thanks for the tips. Went pretty well actually. My club has its own tire machine so that really made the process much easier. I dont know how you guys do it with tyre pliers.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cmoore
Got em all done. Thanks for the tips. Went pretty well actually. My club has its own tire machine so that really made the process much easier. I dont know how you guys do it with tyre pliers.
That means you've never used tyre pliers. They rule unless you have to do more than one tire, or have to do more than 3 39" Krawlers, then they suck, but only slightly less than finding a tire shop that will even look at a 39" tire much less dick around helping you mount Stauns.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
That means you've never used tyre pliers.
You sir are correct. I believe you that they rule, I just dont know how. Our tire machine had a hard enough time getting my 35" MT/Rs seated without using soap (as the directions required). I would have thought it would have been even harder without pneumatic assistance.

I'm guessing I'll be redoing the stauns after my next trail ride. I wasnt thinking when I installed them and I used the included staun valves on my wheels. Why do they include such a rigid valve stem? How does it do against rubs/impacts?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cmoore
You sir are correct. I believe you that they rule, I just dont know how. Our tire machine had a hard enough time getting my 35" MT/Rs seated without using soap (as the directions required). I would have thought it would have been even harder without pneumatic assistance.

I'm guessing I'll be redoing the stauns after my next trail ride. I wasnt thinking when I installed them and I used the included staun valves on my wheels. Why do they include such a rigid valve stem? How does it do against rubs/impacts?
Oh, you don't put the tires on with the pliers, they are only for breaking down the tire bead. The tire is put back on the rim with their tyre irons.