Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 02-16-2006, 08:24 AM

Question rear tailgate rack

Hey All. I have plans to build a rack that I want to attach to my tailgate bolted in behind the rear spare tire mount. The rack will hold my Hi-Lift jack and have removable bars that can hold 2 bicycles. I'm looking for help with a few questions if anyone may have any insight here. Please see the pics linked below for a line diagram and rough computer rendering of the part.

1. does anyone know if the stock tailgate will hold this much weight (I would not be putting both the bikes and the Hi-Lift on at the same time, ever)??

2. If the tailgate is strong enough, does anyone have any fabrication suggestions for the part? You can roughly see in the diagram that it will consist of a plate that will bolt into the spare tire mount bolt holes, welded tubes to hold up an angular L-shaped top bracket, to which my 4XRAC hilift mounts will be bolted on. I will also weld tube brackets to the angled steel, within which smaller steel tubes can be inserted and fastened if I want to carry bikes.

I've measured the whole rear end of my jeep and built a computer model and all the parts seem to fit around the jeep and spare tire, although I'll have to remove the third brake light mount in order for this baby to fit (will replace with LED attached to rack). One of my friends has also done a computerized load analysis on the design and determined that the rack itself would be good for 250lbs. min. force before breaking.

I know that sometimes things look great in the computer or on paper, so any fabrication gurus out there have any suggestions before I start cutting and welding away an entire weekend? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

here are the links to the pics...

Old 02-20-2006, 10:30 AM

part finished

ignore this post, part was redesigned and fabricated over the weekend.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Re: part finished

Quote:
Originally posted by maddmike
ignore this post, part was redesigned and fabricated over the weekend.
How 'bout some pics of the finished product? FWIW, most of the fabricating gurus were away from the board since last Thursday, wheeling at JV.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:53 PM

yeah i know you all wanna see pictures...

haha...well....the part was fabricated...but not quite installed. or painted. and it doesn't quite fit right...but i think i can fix that later. now that i'm done replacing the catalytic converter on my old honda (did not pass smog and need to sell), maybe i'll have time to finish it up...that is if i dont go camping this weekend.
!!

I'll post some pics soon.

many thanks again to chef for the welding and use of the "fab shop"...