Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-05-2004, 05:19 AM

Welding question.

I'm teaching myself welding with a MIG gas/gasless welder i've been given. Right now it's set up as gasless with 0.8" flux cored wire. Getting reasonable results but wondering if i should go get some gas and switch to that method? From what i've read so far the splatter goes way down and penetration is deeper with gas. But as this is just me practicing right now maybe i should stick to gasless and avoid the extra expense.

Any ideas?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Re: Welding question.

Quote:
Originally posted by ukjeeper
I'm teaching myself welding with a MIG gas/gasless welder i've been given. Right now it's set up as gasless with 0.8" flux cored wire. Getting reasonable results but wondering if i should go get some gas and switch to that method? From what i've read so far the splatter goes way down and penetration is deeper with gas. But as this is just me practicing right now maybe i should stick to gasless and avoid the extra expense.

Any ideas?
The splatter should go down. I don't like flux core because it's messier, but it's not as messy as improperly set up gas and regular welding wire.

Do you have the polarity correct?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:33 AM

Hi Tim!

I'm no expert by any stretch......but continued practice without a mix bottle is the way I'd go if I was begining to get the swing of things. If nothing else - it will make you appreciate the benifits of when you switch to adding a bottle to your welder, and swapping to regular wire from the flux core.

I have a little Hobart 135 Handler. It comes with the regulator & fittings to add a bottle, so swapping to one was easy. Simply attach the bottle, reverse the leads, and if you like - change to regular wire. You can still use flux core wire with a mix bottle if you'd like, it's just not necessary.

Have fun with it! Oh yeah - have the wife watch the electric meter at your home spin sometime as you weld.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:08 PM

Re: Re: Welding question.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Do you have the polarity correct?
Yes, its setup for gasless on steel. I'll keep playing tomorrow with wire speed. Its fairly thick steel so i'll go slower and let the heat build up (go deeper).

I also asked on one of the UK forums and a member offered to hold a welding class for some of us which is cool!
Old 11-07-2004, 09:36 AM

My first attempt at fabrication...
Old 11-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ukjeeper
My first attempt at fabrication...
Does it smell bad when you drop spatterberries in your woolies?
Old 11-08-2004, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Does it smell bad when you drop spatterberries in your woolies?
Not since i started taking Imodium AD...