Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-11-2004, 03:15 PM

Making the most of a crap job.

Currently at work i have bug... erm, nothing to do. I spend all day on my arse surfing the web. So instead today i drove in and spent the day (ok, since 12 when i got here)working on the Jeep.

1) I have finally installed an in cab winch controller. Wanted to do it for ages as i'm tired of digging out the wired controller every trip i go on. I had a heavy duty switch all pre-wired and ready to go, so just drilled a mount reachable from the drivers seat, ran the wires around the engine bay, drilled a hole in the back of the solenoid cover (Warn 9000i), inserted a grommet, spliced the wires and there you go. Easy. Why didn't i do it ages ago???

2) Spent the rest of the time rewiring the 2 compressors i have mounted under the hood. There's a quick air, and an ARB linked together, obviously for the lockers but also good for blowing up tyres, etc. Now the previous owner had some great ideas, but his wiring??... (sounds of sucking teeth...)

Imagine a large pile of multi coloured spaghetti dumped on the right side wheel arch under the hood. Thats what i had to wade through. He'd made two separate systems for redundancy, but they were so intertwined (one shared earth wire for 2 compressors, 2 ARB electric solenoids, 2 relays for the compressors. All spliced together and wrapped in black tape) that it took a long tme to figure out what was what. One of the compressors had been blowing fuses constantly (see aforementioned earth wiring), but now they both are much more reliable.

Off to fix the cruise control. (hey it wouldn't be a Jeep without cruise control!! ;-)
Old 11-11-2004, 03:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
Re: Making the most of a crap job.

Quote:
Originally posted by ukjeeper
one shared earth wire
you've been over there too long time to come back

i spent about a week working on my rollcage and doing other small tasks right before 4play's rubicon trip. had to turn back halfway, but welding and stuff was better then sitting around waiting for a job to come in. now i'm dieing for more...204k and the whole shop gets a bonus big enough for me to buy a trailer anybody need banners or vehicle wraps
Old 11-12-2004, 05:23 AM

Re: Re: Making the most of a crap job.

Quote:
Originally posted by chef
you've been over there too long time to come back
Don't remind me...

Added a heavy duty switch to the + winch battery cable. That way the winch will be turned off, and the kids can find the switch, play with it, but not break anything. "oh look, Dad" click... whirr, BANG (tow hook getting pulled off)

Lunch finished, back out to swap the ARB front locker switch. Its the old style, and won't stay in when pressed. Someone gave me a newer style one. Never got round to it, until now!!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
Re: Making the most of a crap job.

man I could use you right now...I've got a wiring nightmare I need to clean up..Mostly just an old alarm and some random oba wires, but while bouncing around on the lakebed a couple weekends ago all the dash stuff stopped working...oba switch and gauges. headlights/taillights work, can't test the turn signal 'cause the switch/arm broke off I'd bring it to work (pretty slow right now) but too lazy to put the windshield back on and air up the tires Having a tow rig is making me even lazier.