Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-21-2005, 07:43 AM

Tie rod and sleeve

Check it out, I?m started to get a slight wobble after hitting larger bumps 2 seconds worth but annoying at highway speeds.
I have had the front tires (BFG AT 31x10.5) re-balanced within .25oz/ 7grams and the psi and the tire are good to go, also jacked the front end up to check the ball joints and bearings for play ?none found. Also torqued the track bar and CAs with vehicle sitting normally plus fresh grease for all the zerks. All the above through forum searches.

I?m going to replace the tie rod ends now and would like to know a better than oem tie rod and sleeve to use something heavy duty, the vehicle will get a 4in lift next year or so. Any suggestions?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Re: Tie rod and sleeve

Quote:
Originally posted by LArry 200 TJ
Check it out, I?m started to get a slight wobble after hitting larger bumps 2 seconds worth but annoying at highway speeds.
I have had the front tires (BFG AT 31x10.5) re-balanced within .25oz/ 7grams and the psi and the tire are good to go, also jacked the front end up to check the ball joints and bearings for play ?none found. Also torqued the track bar and CAs with vehicle sitting normally plus fresh grease for all the zerks. All the above through forum searches.

I?m going to replace the tie rod ends now and would like to know a better than oem tie rod and sleeve to use something heavy duty, the vehicle will get a 4in lift next year or so. Any suggestions?
How do you know the TRE's are bad?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:54 AM

The ZJ upgrade is a reasonable step up.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/zjtie/tierod-1.htm

Several vendors make replacement tie rods with a variety of TREs.

Currie makes a complete replacement steering setup including a stronger drag link.

I'm running the ZJ unit right now. It has a slight bend in in from but I've also bent my R/E chromoly tie rod.

but this may not be the cause of your wobble.

check and double check the trackbar and check your steering stabilizer.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:22 AM

I forgot that in the thread, the sterring stabilizer has oily residue suggesting its leaking (like a bad shock) I thought it was more of damper when in rough terrain than a wobble stopper.
I'm assuming the tre's are bad there is play by grabbing the sleeve and rolling it back and forth pretty easily but that is not a good test and by jerking the steering wheel back and forth there was very little play if any. But if there is any at all I would like to replace to a higher endurance/ strength version. I checked out the swap link, nothing to it bolts right in did you ever get the drag link question answered?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
did you ever get the drag link question answered?
that would be a question for Stu.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I'm assuming the tre's are bad there is play by grabbing the sleeve and rolling it back and forth pretty easily but that is not a good test and by jerking the steering wheel back and forth there was very little play if any.
That is simply the TRE's rotating around their axis which they are supposed to do. You can check for TRE's by jacking up one side at a time and grabbing the wheel at the 3 and 9 positions. If there is any slop when you try to move the wheel forwards and backwards, then you have bad TRE's - something I don't suspect that you have.

The BFG AT's in that size on steel wheels are more likely your problem.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-H
that would be a question for Stu.
I upgraded to a Currie steering system, which gave me the necessary beef in the drag link department, along with their tie rod.

After a couple of years, I switched over to Toys by Troy's alumiflex steering when I installed his lift. The two compliment each other and it addressed the relocation of the drag link (axle end) that was necessary for my lift height.

Both systems worked/work well for the configuration they were/are installed to support.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:52 AM

yea I did that and couldnt notice any real movement, stuck a long bar under the tire and lifted up then hands at 12 and 6 and shook back and forth, again no movement.
So it is probably the nature of the tires and rims?

Would that be the cause of my rear of the jeep to bounce/slide sideways on "washboard" type road sections, ie a well traveled gravel road. My wifes sport does it but not as bad maybe the differance between hard and soft tops?