Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-05-2005, 08:56 PM

Well, it's time to change

After 6'ish years of "going slow", the time has come to "go fast"
The Jeep is sold.
Blaine, take care of 'em if you get it out to JV. Robert told me you've "been after" him to run some of those trails

I'm not through with 4 wheeling by any means. I hope that I'll be able to keep Dans passenger seat warm for him for a long time to come.

It's just time for a change. I've had nothing short of a blast with the Jeep and the satisfaction that I've had building it over the years has been something that I wouldn't trade for anything. Same with the many, many friends that I've met.
I've learned more than I ever thought possible, both with the mods and gained driving skills. I think that I've come a long way, skills wise, or at least I like to fool myself and think so

Blaine, in particular, I can't begin to thank you enough for all the inspiration and the help that you've given me. In a 'net full of mostly crap, it's a real treasure to find someone who knows

Dan, you've been a dear friend for years, and will continue to be. Besides warming up the passenger seat in your Jeep, I'm look for a "pit crew" or will be soon, I hope

Here's something like what I'm looking at getting now:

A 600 Micro Sprint, also called a Modified Midget.

On the track that I go to out here, these things are faster than anything except the Winged Sprints (full size) and are in the same league as the 360 Sprints (non-winged).

For those that are interested, here are some video clips that are really neat (or at least I think so).

1st one here is a camera in the car, facing out the back. This is Travis (they run a short'ish track back east, it looks like, and this one is weird with no retainer wall on the back stretch ).
Anyway, this is a full sized Winged-Sprint, probably a 360. These cars weigh no more than 1375 lbs, with the driver and put out 750 hp ~ 800 hp.

They are nothing short of rockets
He's doing some hot laps, warming up.
Anyway, he's idleing out of turn 2 as the video starts and idles down the back stretch then idles around turns 3 and 4. Coming out of 4 they get the green flag to start the hot laps and he mashes the pedal. This bloody thing gets up to speed almost instantly (100mph+). Watch the retaining wall and gradstands go by on the left of the video. Then watch as he goes around the turns. It looks weird because they are pretty sideways as they go around

If you have sound, crank it up

http://www.fredtj.com/images/Video/Sprints/sprinthl.wmv

Next is a similar shot, camera in car, pointing out the rear, of a 600 Micro.
These things are virtually as fast as the 360 Winged Sprints on this somewhat shorter track. Other than the sound difference (a 4 cyl 600 cc screaming at 16K rpm, vs a v-8 360 ci ), it's really hard to tell the difference:

http://www.fredtj.com/images/video/Sprints/microic.wmv

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 10-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Beadlocks, grooved tires, not much difference, eh?

Thanks for the kind words Fred, you still owe me a trip or two in JV, grab Dan, haul your butts over and we'll find some seats for you.

I've certainly enjoyed the conversations and hope they don't quit.

Please be safe in your new hobby.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Fred,

You are nuts! I used to watch those cars race when I was a kid at a local track (long since gone) called Ascot. It was insane ... and a lot of fun to watch. Like Blaine said, be safe and good luck with the racing. It certainly doesn't look like a very cheap hobby.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:56 PM

Thanks, Fred - I've been lucky to have you as a friend. I hate to see the Jeep go, but I understand. I'm looking forward to seeing the new toy, and helping out on the crew.

Blaine - I still hope to make it out there some time, whenever the funds allow. I have quite a bit I want (need) to do to the Jeep before I'd feel comfortable on JV-level trails.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-06-2005, 04:52 AM

Ahh! Push start, no clutch-just bang-em!
You can't find an old Elsinore motor anywhere around here-the micro guys snag them fast.
Have fun.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:54 AM

Well at least I hope you come back and visit the forums once in a while to say 'hi' Fred. It's certainly been great having you around all these years so we'd miss you if you didn't.

Enjoy that new interest, you'll probably end up winning some races if you put the same skills and enthusiasm into that as you did Jeeping!
Old 10-06-2005, 09:26 PM

Fred,

Good luck with the new hobby, those things definately look to be quite a rush when watching them in person.

I want to thank you for your assistance on the auto trans conversion, I have it driving now finally just need to button it up.

Tim
Old 10-06-2005, 10:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
Best wishes of many victories in your new venture. Those are a blast to watch and I can't imagine the rush behind the wheel.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chef
Best wishes of many victories in your new venture. Those are a blast to watch and I can't imagine the rush behind the wheel.

How 'bout this lind of rush

In car camera, if you have sound there is only sound on the first part of this little video clip.
In car full speed, with sound.
In car slow motion, no sound.
Somewhere on the track, full speed, no sound, but it really shows what this car did.
It's the black, number 22 ..

http://www.fredtj.com/images/Video/S...microwreck.wmv

It's amazing how "safe" a vehicle can be built and also stay lightweight.
The drivers, besides a firesuit, shoes and gloves (and of course a helmet) are required to have a head restraint (Hans or similiar) device and a neck brace, along with arm tie downs....
I have a video clip from some 410 Sprints that was on TV a month or two ago, showing a similiar type wreck, only more "violent", from an in car camera. Pretty amazing to watch. The camera was in the front of the car, pointing towards the driver. He was hitting so hard (did multiple endo's) that his visor would, literally, snap open, then snap close, snap open, snap close....
Bet he was looking for the asprin the next morning
He wasn't hurt, walked away, and they even interviewed him moments after.

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i