Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-29-2002, 09:13 PM

Question Timing Chains - addendum to: JU Question - Spark Plugs?

You may remember a recent thread of mine: JU Question - Spark Plugs?

Well, after taking the Jeep into the mechanic I have a completely new look at my jeep probs. The mechanic found that after clicking over the 100,000-mile mark, all my sensors and injectors are in perfect condition (knock on wood). He said that everything is working the way it should, minus the timing chain and catalytic converter. The cat is gone (I knew that) and the timing chain has 8 degrees of slack in it. He said that beyond 6 is out spec and 10-12 you start getting nervous of causing damage.

The mechanic (a friend in Idaho 4x4) told me that he would like to throw in a roller-gear timing set and clock one of the sprockets 4 degrees to give the engine more torque.

A) Does the roller-gear timing set exist for a '94 4.0? I can't find one.

B) Does clocking the sprocket give more torque without effecting gas mileage? (I know, weenie question)

C) Is swapping out a timing chain something a practicing shad-tree mechanic handle (read: no special tools)?

Finally, I would still appreciate opinions on spark plugs. I do need to replace mine soon. I am leaning towards the Champion Truck plugs, I have been heard a lot of good things about them.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:38 PM

Kelly:
A: I don't know- maybe try Summit Racing?

B: Probably not.

C: Probably. If you can change a water pump, should not be much worse. I do know it is critical to get it lined up right. I don't know if Jeep used a cam button or not, they can get tricky. (Doubt it, mostly a hi-perf. mod) The crank seal might give you some trouble getting out and sealing well.

D: Did Ken give you an estimate? Some things are worthwhile to just let the pro's do, budgets permitting.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:33 AM

A) The factory timing chain for the 94 should be a Single Roller chain, unless you have a late 93 motor in your Jeep. They appear to be interchangable...

B) I would be more concerned with how he was going to do it. Moving the cam gear 1 tooth would be too much. The correct way to do it is to install an offset pin kit from a chevy V8, which requires machining the gear and prpbably some other work.

C) You will need a harmonic balancer puller, and probably a gear puller to swap the crank gear and chain. You could possibly have to raise the engine so you have room to get the balancer puller in the front of the engine.