Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-27-2005, 03:34 PM

Carnage with small hubs?

Have you guys had any u-joints or shafts break in your dana 30's with the small Warn hubs?

I broke my short side inner shaft at the splines a few weeks ago in Clayton, OK. The breakage caused the housing around the o-rings for the ARB to rotate under the bearing cap and sheared off the copper air line. I'm wondering if the small hubs would have prevented this failure, or if it's still a crap shoot as to what will break. The shafts were new stock shafts, and the ears were actually stretched around the u-joint caps. I'm surprised the u-joint didn't break first. My chromos are sitting itn the garage... I just hadn't installed them yet.

I have no experience with the hubs, so I appologize if these are newbie questions.....
"ALIEN" <>< Heb. 11:13

www.jeepaddicts.com
Old 08-28-2005, 02:55 PM

I am curious about this as well. The smaller hubs use the fuses too correct?
Old 08-28-2005, 05:09 PM

I'm not sure about the answer to Alien's question in relation to the stock inners. Most? people here using the small hub kit are also running chromolly inner axles. The idea is that when you have the chomolly inner and outer axles, then the small hub "should" act as the "fuse" and blow before anything else breaks. If using stock inners, then I'm not sure whether the hub would necessarily blow first.

To answer Battallion's question, no the small hubs do not use a fuse.

I'm sure others will chime in here when they get done with the major project work underway currently
Old 08-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Reggae

Small hub is the fuse. Very easy to replace, take the wheel off, slide the replacement hub on, put the wheel back on.

However, with regular U-joints the small hub is known to blow up at the same time with the U-joint (however it saved the alloy axle shafts in that instance), therefore CTM U-joints are also recommended, that way the small hub becomes truly the weakest link in most cases.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 08-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Re: Carnage with small hubs?

Quote:
Originally posted by -=Alien=-
Have you guys had any u-joints or shafts break in your dana 30's with the small Warn hubs?

I broke my short side inner shaft at the splines a few weeks ago in Clayton, OK. The breakage caused the housing around the o-rings for the ARB to rotate under the bearing cap and sheared off the copper air line. I'm wondering if the small hubs would have prevented this failure, or if it's still a crap shoot as to what will break. The shafts were new stock shafts, and the ears were actually stretched around the u-joint caps. I'm surprised the u-joint didn't break first. My chromos are sitting itn the garage... I just hadn't installed them yet.

I have no experience with the hubs, so I appologize if these are newbie questions.....
Before you jump into the upgrade boat and whip out the hundred dollar bills to paddle your butt upstream, be aware that your breakage is fairly anomalous.

Being anomalous, it's pretty difficult to predict any prevention or diminishment of carnage.

I will say that if you are stretching ears and breaking shafts, you might want to investigate some stronger stuff, but bear in mind that it get's pricey pretty fast. Most of the rest has been covered by Sergey et al.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:11 PM

Re: Re: Carnage with small hubs?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Before you jump into the upgrade boat and whip out the hundred dollar bills to paddle your butt upstream
That's' classic
Old 08-29-2005, 08:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
a-nom-a-lous 1.deviating from the regular arrangement, general rule, or usual method; abnormal 2.being, or seeming to be inconsistent, contradictory, or improper
SYN = irregular

blaine made me bust out the websters again. i will be sure to bring my pocket version with me if i ever make it to so-cal again (just so i know what you guys are talking about).
Old 08-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by T.Dome
a-nom-a-lous 1.deviating from the regular arrangement, general rule, or usual method; abnormal 2.being, or seeming to be inconsistent, contradictory, or improper
SYN = irregular

blaine made me bust out the websters again. i will be sure to bring my pocket version with me if i ever make it to so-cal again (just so i know what you guys are talking about).
Yeah, but did I use it in the right context?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but, did, I, use ,it, in, the ,right context?

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:23 PM

Here are pics....

stretched ears....

twisted splines...

I'm thinking stronger stuff is in order.
"ALIEN" <>< Heb. 11:13

www.jeepaddicts.com
Old 08-29-2005, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by -=Alien=-
I'm thinking stronger stuff is in order.
if it breaks -> upgrade
Old 08-29-2005, 07:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
Quote:
Yeah, but did I use it in the right context?
your vocabulary prowess is astounding. and you are correct!

now quit trying to hurt my brain