Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 04-05-2005, 11:04 PM

Welding control arm skids

Well, I've been working on getting my TJ armored up and I'm installing a set of front lower control arm skids, basically 1/8 plate bent to enclose the top of the mounts with a front lip to the axle. My buddy that is welding it up for me suggested that I only stitch along the top edges and just let the front lip rest on the axle. He said if you hit the mount on the side you can easily trail fix it...if you weld it on the front it will be a bear to bend back into shape...also he said it's better to have the axle side weaker than the frame side if the arms get hit.

My overly complex interpretation is that if you do hit the mount laterally both with bend equally and you can easily hit them with a torch and bend them back. If you weld the front to the axle and you do end up with a torsionally eccentric situation and the mount will twist as it bends.

Is this reasoning correct? I know the mounts will be weaker if i don't weld the fronts but do you guys think it's worth the risk of them bending easily or should I weld the crap out of them?

Sorry for the overly drawn out post but I'd like your guys opinions.

thanks,

marc
Old 04-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Re: Welding control arm skids

Quote:
Originally posted by TJMarc
Well, I've been working on getting my TJ armored up and I'm installing a set of front lower control arm skids, basically 1/8 plate bent to enclose the top of the mounts with a front lip to the axle. My buddy that is welding it up for me suggested that I only stitch along the top edges and just let the front lip rest on the axle. He said if you hit the mount on the side you can easily trail fix it...if you weld it on the front it will be a bear to bend back into shape...also he said it's better to have the axle side weaker than the frame side if the arms get hit.

My overly complex interpretation is that if you do hit the mount laterally both with bend equally and you can easily hit them with a torch and bend them back. If you weld the front to the axle and you do end up with a torsionally eccentric situation and the mount will twist as it bends.

Is this reasoning correct? I know the mounts will be weaker if i don't weld the fronts but do you guys think it's worth the risk of them bending easily or should I weld the crap out of them?

Sorry for the overly drawn out post but I'd like your guys opinions.

thanks,

marc
Tell your buddy he forgot that the control arm bolt actually forms the 4th side of the box as will welding the skid to the axle tube.

I always weld the skid to the tube and most commercial weld on skids have a tab bent down in that direction for doing just that.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:58 PM

ahh...forgot about the bolt. Thanks for the info