Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-18-2002, 02:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikebeach
The Hammers, 21-24th, anyone gonna be there?

Hey all,
Me and my buddy Rick, are comming out Thursday morning and staying until Sunday Afternoon. Anyone gonna be there? I'll be trailering my jeep with my Suburban. Let me know if you'll be there.
Mike
Old 11-18-2002, 02:50 PM

http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showth...&threadid=2006
Old 11-18-2002, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showth...&threadid=2006
I didnt see anyone post any dates, so i figured it was the week after. So all of you guys are gonna be out there huh?
See-ya there.
Mike
Old 11-18-2002, 03:32 PM

I thought the thread implied that we are going to be there during the week of Thanksgiving. Some will arriving Monday (25th) and will be wheeling till Friday.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:25 PM
ghall

Mike:
I will be camped on left 100 yd. after you make the left at T from Boone rd. To Barnes rd. (camping 100 ft. before crossing the wash) Will be getting out there Thur. evening. Look for grey Dodge and trailer with a green TJ that looks as if it was purchased as a salvage and then abused after that.
Garry
Old 11-18-2002, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ghall
Mike:
I will be camped on left 100 yd. after you make the left at T from Boone rd. To Barnes rd. (camping 100 ft. before crossing the wash) Will be getting out there Thur. evening. Look for grey Dodge and trailer with a green TJ that looks as if it was purchased as a salvage and then abused after that.
Garry
Let me translate for you Mike.

After you leave the main highway, you will be travelling down a very sandy road. It meanders a bit, but generally heads away from the highway. After awhile it changes direction and takes a decided right hand bend and is generally parallelling the highway. Not too long after the right bend, the sandy road will intersect another road. You want to turn left here and will be generally heading away from the highway. A short distance on this road will bring you to a big dip in the road as it crosses a sand wash.

Don't go into the dip. Back up about 25 feet and turn left. You will be at a clearing in the brush that slightly overlooks the lakebed which is a big dry flat dusty area with an almost noticeable road through it.

Garry and company will be in the clearing on the left that is bordered on the lakebed side by the sandwash, the road you just came down, and some brush on the remainder.

Be careful where you drive as there have been many campfires built from burning pallets and the resultant plethora of pointy fasteners have been known to do in a street tire or two.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:23 PM

Registered for abuse

Quote:
Originally posted by ghall
a green TJ that looks as if it was purchased as a salvage and then abused after that.
Garry
Between the two of you, that Jeep doesn't stand a chance

Old 11-18-2002, 10:27 PM

Cool!, you guys kick butt. I'll be in a Green Suburban with a White TJ on a trailer. See ya there.
Mike
Old 11-19-2002, 12:10 AM

Mike - not sure if this is your first time out there, but heed a warning I was given by very wise men on this board - whatever you do - do NOT GO ONTO THE SHOULDER WHEN YOU ARE ON THE MAIN HIGHWAY - if you blow the turn into JV to down until there is a road to make a u-turn.

The shoulder is composed of a combination of 12" deep sand, micro pebbles, and dried oatmeal - how I didn't end up stuck (after I stupidly pulled off AFTER they told me no to) is beyond me. My XJ was stock and open at that point.

I am trying like hell to make it there tuesday and wednesday - hope to see you.

Jeff
Old 11-19-2002, 06:10 AM

Just remember Jeff's idea of wise men is in question. he listened to me for gods sake.

Scott
Old 11-19-2002, 11:34 AM

This is gonna be my first time out there, so thanks for that, cause I know I would definatly just pull over on the median. This is the best map i could find; look good? These are the directions I got; look good?
Thanks
Mike

"If you're coming from westbound on 1-10, Exit at "CA-62E/ Twenty Nine Palms" toward 29 Palms/Yucca Valley.

You'll go through the town of Yucca Valley, then Turn Left onto Hwy 247 Old Woman Springs Rd. (There's a Kragen auto parts near the corner)

Go ~25 miles and turn right onto dirt road marked with orange + brown "Johnson Valley OHV area" sign. If you get to Lucerne valley you've gone too far. "
Old 11-19-2002, 12:54 PM

Mike - do a search in the trail runs forum for rookie run. I think Blaine put some excellent directions in that post. I'd do the search for you but I'm connected via my cell phone now and performance is not impressive.

Look forward to meeting you.

Jeff
Old 11-19-2002, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Old Woman Springs road is also known as Highway 247. On the right hand side of the road are street signs that mark some of the roads on the way out there. When you see the one marked "Last Mile Road" slam on the brakes. It marks a road on your left and the next road on your right is Boone road with the brown sign. The brown sign is obscured by brush until the last minute.

Literally, when you see Last Mile Road, slam on the brakes and get ready for the right hand turn onto Boone road.

Lucerne is about 20 some odd miles further, so you will definitely have passed your turnoff if you get there.

If it's daylight when you go by and are looking for a landmark to let you know if you passed Boone road, look for the long white fence on your left that is part of Old Woman Springs Ranch. If you get to it turn around and go back and look for the sign for the Johnson Valley OHV area at Boone road.

There is a near indentical sign 12 miles past Boone for another entrance to the OHV area. It is for Soggy dry lake I think. The best indicator that you are on the wrong road if you turn here is that the road is not deep sand.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:05 PM

Wow, I think I wouldve been so lost if you guys didnt explain all the ins and outs of JV. Im really excited to meet all of you. Also, Im renting a U-haul trailer(I get it for free so why not) should I be worried about the dirt/sand road comming in? Let me know what you think on that.

Thank you guys so much!
Mike
Old 11-19-2002, 02:22 PM
Jes

I'll be out there Thursday afternoon.
I assume your buddy is Rick Norman with the white XJ?
You don't need to worry about the sand road it's not too deep, just don't run up into the embankments on the sides.

Jes
Old 11-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Reggae

Mike,

Usually, the dirt/sand road is not a problem, however during the last ARCA nationals the road had seen so much traffic, it really became a challenge for some vehicles. Nothing a jeep train could not fix, though.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jes
I'll be out there Thursday afternoon.
I assume your buddy is Rick Norman with the white XJ?
You don't need to worry about the sand road it's not too deep, just don't run up into the embankments on the sides.

Jes
Cool, Yup me and Rick Norman. He got a Tow rig and trailer all last week I assume your one of the XJ guys we're meeting up with?
See ya
Mike