Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-13-2003, 08:49 PM

I'm sick of working on my Jeep

Well, I've reached capacity. I, for the first time in my life (and I've owned Jeeps since I started driving), am sick of working on my Jeep.
The mods were fun to do but now that I'm just trying to get it back on the road after everything, its lost that loving feeling.
I got the new drums tonight and they did not get rid of all the vibes. Some are still there. The brakes still aren't great even after the master cylinder replacement. My front ARB still isn't hooked up. I have cool new 1 ton steering parts fresh from DEO to install but I don't want to go out to work on it.
I'm going to make one more adjustment to the pinion angle and if that doesn't help, the high clearance skid comes off and i put everything back the way it was.

Yeah, I know, waaaaaaaaa

I'm just venting. Does anyone else out there get this way every now and then?

Chris
Old 01-13-2003, 09:03 PM
ghall

Re: I'm sick of working on my Jeep

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisK
Does anyone else out there get this way every now and then?

Chris
Ya about every Monday. I would be glad to trade the misery and bills from this weekend. Over.
Garry
Old 01-13-2003, 09:25 PM

Oh yeah! I resemble that remark.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:33 PM
ghall

Oh, I forgot to mention that when Friday rolls around I will have forgot the details and go out and do it over again next weekend.
Garry
Old 01-13-2003, 11:07 PM

Garry - did you break something this weekend? I thought you got outta there relatively unscathed.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2003, 12:13 AM

yeah i hear ya man, i have no front driveshaft (broke it) my vac disco is stuck connected, i have a broken out rear hartop window, i have a d44 to build and get under the jeep. I dont feel like doing any of it, maybee because its 19 and snowing out, who knows, i still wouldent trade it for the world tho.

44 willys MB bone stock being restored.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slander
i still wouldent trade it for the world tho.
I hear ya. I'd never trade my Jeep for anything. We are all glutons for punishment, aren't we? Tomorrow, I'm not even going to dink around with pinion angle experimentation. The arms get readjusted back to where they were and the stock skid goes back on. I'll mess with the zoot skid later (much later). I need to get back to building my airplane.

Chris
Old 01-14-2003, 08:20 AM

I get that way and just park it for a couple of weeks and ignore it.

I have so many other projects that get neglected I dig into one of them and soon realize that working on the jeep is much more fun and rewarding.

Yardwork sucks. Home repairs suck, maintenance on the commuter car really sucks so when I get tired of working on the jeep I just dig into one of the other suckey projects and quickly realize the jeep isn't that bad.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:02 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Chris,

I don't know of anyone who doesn't get burned out from time to time.

For me I get burned out sometimes when I "HAVE TO" work on something. (Read that, it's broke and I have no choice!)

I enjoy very much working on it when I "WANT TO"! That's fun to me. Might be why I create such crazy projects from time to time.

I just don't enjoy the "Have To Stuff!" Sometimes. Sounds like the same as you right now.

Frank

PS:
Mowing the lawn, now that $&CKS !!!!

If God intended grass to be 2.5-inch in height he would have had it stop growing at that altitude, and not require me to decapitate it!
Old 01-14-2003, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daless2
Mowing the lawn, now that $&CKS !!!!

If God intended grass to be 2.5-inch in height he would have had it stop growing at that altitude, and not require me to decapitate it!
The answer to that is move to Arizona. My yard is soon to be all rocks and that's OK here.

Chris
Old 01-14-2003, 07:11 PM

AMEN! I just finished my double axle swap, complete with mostly new suspension and all. Now here's my list of stuff left over:
Re-work Axle end seals on 9"
Replace inner diff seals on D44 (shoulda done it the first time!)
Extend bumpstops & finish trimming inner fenderwells for 36s.
None of it is that difficult, but I've spent soo much time in the last few months that I am sick of it, so its been basically sitting for the last week... by the end of the week I'll be ready to tear into it and finish it up, hopefully!
Tim
Old 01-14-2003, 07:13 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisK
The answer to that is move to Arizona. My yard is soon to be all rocks and that's OK here.

Chris
Great point Chris!

I solved it by building my home in the woods!

I don't rake leaves either.

I figure God wanted all those leaves exactly where he let them fall.

Hey I sound like a tree hugger!

Na..... Just have better things to do with my time!

Frank
Old 01-14-2003, 07:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Daddy Longlegs
Hi Chris,

Yep I know the feeling. I have a tendency to complain to my wife "My Jeep is never going to get done." She reassures me its ok and sends me back out there. When its all done it feels worth it. That AW4 swap really burned me out for awhile. I'm hoping I can run at least a few more trails before doing much maintenance again. I took a couple weekends off to do some painting inside the house. After spending that amount of time on a ladder the floor of the garage starts looking alot better.

Scott K
Old 01-14-2003, 08:33 PM

YAY!!!!!

It is back on the road again and vibe free!!

I set the control arms back to where they were and popped the factory skid back on. All is good in Jeep land again.

Scott - It was that dang Joe West skidplate that did me in. I think its his revenge for putting those tiny street tires on his Jeep while he was out of town.
Probably some weird voodoo ritual involved.

Chris
Old 01-14-2003, 08:38 PM

LOL

Old 01-14-2003, 09:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
I know what you mean. After I broke off my second shock mount, I kinda quit looking at it, and I just drove it. Im still driving it, and I have a crap load of stuff to do now. I need to move my rear spring perches out 1/4" on each side. I need to relocate each of my side body mounts to above the frame, to run the flat skid plate that I want to run. I've got a set of tube fenders I still need to put on, not to mention, I need to fix my horn, hopefully with a sun performance air horn. Ive got a tranny leak that I need to fix. Ive got the parts sitting here, I just gotta fix it. Lastly, I need to put an oil return line on my on board air setup. I think thats all for now. Only gonna take a day or so to do it all, Im just too lazy and burnt out to do it now, but its gotta get done before TDS in march.
Scott
Old 01-15-2003, 08:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Scott, you need to pull out some of that useless A/C stuff too
Old 01-15-2003, 08:53 AM

Chris: Yep, after getting the D60s and all the associated stuff done, I have found myself pretty sick of working on my junk.

Fact is, I'm rethinking my entire approach to 4 wheeling. Sold my trailer. Trying to sell my Chevy tow rig, and getting back to simplicity. Probably go down to 37-inch tires and just drive to the trails when I feel like going. Meanwhile, it's still parked in the garage after my most recent roll.

Plus, I bought a Ducati Monster 900 to work on (grin).
Dion
Old 01-15-2003, 09:27 AM

Dual purpose is king. I love being able to drive my rig whereever the hell I want. Sure I take a hook on occasion, especially if there's a chance of rolling, but I still can drive some of the hardest trails I've been able to find and drive home.

Don't get burned out. Remember, its not a jeep, its just parts. Lots of them. They ALL can be fixed or replaced. Start at the begining, work to the end and build it right the first time.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Quote:
Originally posted by sethmark
Start at the begining, work to the end and build it right the first time.
And then build it again later.....
Old 01-15-2003, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John
And then build it again later.....
AMEN Brutha!!
Old 01-15-2003, 05:08 PM

Though my Jeep is not a daily driver, I prefer driving to and from the trail. Driving on the street gives me a chance to find out if anything is wrong before I get off the pavement. Kind of a shakedown before the run. Which is why we traded Theresa's truck in on a more sensible Accord and why I run 37" MTR's.

Scott K
Old 01-15-2003, 07:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Quote:
Originally posted by John
Scott, you need to pull out some of that useless A/C stuff too
That too! Hopefully soon man!
Scott
Old 01-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Reggae

If you are sick working on your jeep, maybe you should let it get stollen, and have the crooks fix it for you.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2002581523,00.html