Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-10-2006, 03:06 AM

Help with part name?

Howdy all.

Okay, I'm having a bit of trouble finding a replacement part as nobody I speak with (friends, relatives, auto shop/dealership staff...) seems to know what the name of this little part is. I'm hoping someone can help me out!

When I bought my latest Jeep ('98 Cherokee Limited) this past November there was a single part missing from the interior. It's a little nut-like piece that secures the spare tire to the threaded steel arm on which it sits when the tire is upright and in the back cargo area. In my old Grand Cherokee, it was sort've a T-shaped plastic piece surrounding what looked like a pretty standard nut. Without this little guy, I am forced to either leave the spare laying flat down in the back, or take it out entirely. Neither of these options are very appealing to me. I'd rather just have the damn thing upright on its holder as it should be.

Any ideas on the name of this part? Or perhaps where to find a replacement? I can't believe that the DEALERSHIP didn't know what the heck I was talking about... but they didn't. All I want is my spare tire secured!
Old 06-10-2006, 04:40 AM

At the dealership they weren't able to bring up the parts breakdown with pictures so you could identify it?
Old 06-10-2006, 07:33 AM

I'd bring the little bar in that goes through the center of the tire, that the nut is threaded onto, to your local harware store and just find a nut that will thread on to it.

(Assuming the cherokee bar is removable. I could remove the one in my ZJ, and I can't remember exactly anymore if the XJ one came out in my dad's XJ).

BTW, you need to find a new dealership. I stopped going to the jeep dealership closest to me because the parts people were seriously dumb. I found one a little big further away that acually know how to use their parts computers.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:16 AM

I know what you mean Shalom. A few years ago I needed a replacement rear view mirror for my TJ. The parts guy at the local dealership said they couldn't order the right one for me unless I had the VIN.

After that I started going to the dealer in Glendale. It's a little bit of a drive but worth it.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:01 PM

Nope, they were unable to ID the part and basically just stood there with dumb looks on their faces. I would never, ever have thought that the dealership wouldn't know what I was talking about. I figured I'd head in and within 10 minutes they'd know what I needed and get it for me.

I'll go take a look shortly to see if the bar is removeable or not. I KNOW the guys at the nearest Ace Hardware aren't idiots, so hopefully that will work. I was hoping it'd be easy enough to ID through y'all, but I will gladly use a regular old Hardware Store nut if it will stay on nicely.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
sounds like you need a wing nut.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by T.Dome
sounds like you need a wing nut.
Too funny. I just happened to have an 97-01 XJ parts list in pdf, and I glanced at it. Yep, wing nut.

Here is the official terminology.

Wingnut Retainer, 6503070
Wingnut Cap, 52000733
Retention Cup, 52067699

This is the 3 pieces that are on the outside to retain the spare.

Worth a shot anyway.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the technical names, Scott... that is precisely what I was looking for.

However today the local Ace Hardware guys hooked me up with an appropriately sized wingnut. speaceman was correct and the bar was easily removed. Not sure what the dealership would've charged if I provided them with those part numbers, but I am happy to have paid less than $5 to Ace.

Thanks again for the help, y'all.