Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-22-2004, 07:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
What should I do to the yj now?/torx bolt rants!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...18906358ooKpHv

thats how the jeep is currently residing. The thing in front of my headlight is a roll bar on the Kubota tractor, not some proto-type front bumper.

Currently replacing both d35 shafts with ones that are in one piece and don't have twisted splines and replacing the spider gears with a lock right. It'll be awhile till I can afford bigger tires and regearing so for the extra $100 I figured it was worth it in the mean time.

I did the standard check over, the new steel brake lines I put in are going good, checked tranny, t-case and all of that other good stuff. Fixed my oil pressure gauge that used to peg out on 80 every time the ignition was turned on. A simple sending unit fixed it. Gonna paint all 4 inner fenderwells with rustolem primer then some rustolem black (of course after I clean em up lol). Need to replace my slowly leeking radiator too. Probably gonna do a water pump while its all apart.

Still don't know what the ticking sound in the engine is (how it got the name choo choo train). Only does it when the engine warms up?? Any hints? It leaks hardly any oil at all (not enough to worry about)

As you can tell I need some bigger tires, but it looks worse than it is because some of the weight is supported on jackstands. Go for 35x10.50 boggers, 36x12.50 tsl's or some 35x12.50 cheap radial mudders? I'll make any of the tires fit with a sawzall so rubbing isn't a problem. Cost is a problem though!

I found a running '80 bronco with a 351 in it. body is bad (really dont care about that) says the owner but does it have the 9" rear end? What about the front? any good? He only wants a few hundred for it. Go for it? If I do I'd probably set up both of them for soa and yj width, regear them as deep as possible with some lockers and put em in. That way I have the same bolt pattern and same width.

I was taking out the torx bolts that hold in the seat belts for the back seat (thats no longer there) I've broke 3 torx bits already tring to take them out!! It's gotta be the weakest design ever.

If I hit the lottery that I dont play maybe I'll be able to run some TBI injection this summer and get rid of this constand off camber stalling out from my weber 32/26. Hoping to finish it late enough that I can get it out of the garage with the top off - I hate this cold wheter (sp) stuff! This is monster garaging - on a highschool budget. LOL Make do with what you have right? What's everyone else doing to their rigs in the winter months?
Old 02-23-2004, 09:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
That Bronco will have a TTB front end. Not something you'll want to put in your Jeep.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:39 AM

Yep, if you want a Dana straight axle in a Ford, you need a 70's model.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:34 PM

Re: What should I do to the yj now?/torx bolt rants!

Quote:

Still don't know what the ticking sound in the engine is (how it got the name choo choo train). Only does it when the engine warms up?? Any hints? It leaks hardly any oil at all (not enough to worry about)
I don't know about any of the other stuff, but the ticking sound could be a a dead lifter (no oil in it). My 86 Dodge does that too..... then it stops once it warms up and has oil in it. It is an annoyance for sure, but from what i have been told, isn't hurting anything. No need to replace it unless you tear into the motor..... or you get tired of the ticking.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
Well thats good to hear. As long as it isn't hurting the engine any I couldn't care less. In fact, in the over a year that I've had it I've grown used to it and I don't even notice it most of the time, I tune it out.