Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-10-2004, 11:23 AM

Re: Lessons learned

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine

If you brag about how capably you can follow bigger rigs, the rock gods will not smile at you in the slightest.

Bwahahahaha!!!

I've always got a kick out of that kind of talk, especially when it comes to tires.

"...................... I can on 'blah blah' size tires easily follow rigs on 'blah bigger' tires........................."

This always leaves me thinking, "If it is such an easy feat why is it worth boasting about?"
Old 02-10-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
Fine. C-clipped lunch box lockers aren't worth crap balanced against trail repairs.

I say it in all seriousness. It was an eye opener, not having any experience with c-clipped lunchbox lockers.

I've seen other axle repairs and have participated in axle build ups and I can honestly say that if it were me, stuck on a trail with that locker, i don't think I would have been able to get the c-clips out.

Having to spend close to an hour to work the 4 spring/pins out slowly, with a pocket knife, just to get the c-clips loose, is not my idea of the best set up for a trail repairs.

Brad is a very patient man, that's all I know. That's another thing I learned this weekend, I guess.

Please note the in the post. I was simply pointing out that not ~all~ lunchbox lockers have the same inherent problems as those of the D35 variety. I'm glad to hear everyone got off the trail safe and sound.

Mark
Old 02-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Sounds like a very exciting day!

My group had a pretty eventful day in Hollister Hills SVRA Sunday as well:
- 1 flopped rig, and lost tire bead in first 5 minutes on the trail. We had one rig drag him backwards while I snatchblocked across trail and back to the rig's highside rocker- to keep the rig off the ground, to get the rig back where we could reseat the bead.

- I laid the FJ over on it's side in a ravine about 30 minutes later. Had to pull the soft top off and kept driving out of the situation; the roll cage acting like a grader on the hillside. Yesterday I vacuumed out about 5 pound of dirt from the tub!

Pics of where I laid it over. Pics don't do it justice, I could not get the bugger back out of that slippery sloppy clay ditch. Just plowed up the last ~50' ft of it.
http://home.off-road.com/~bassettsbe...ster/feb82004/

-Same section where I laid over, a CJ-7 with us did the same thing. Then he sheared the bolt off the steering shaft, knocked out a rear window (not as easy to pop off a hard top as a soft top ), and blew a bead. At the time this happened, I was away from the group trying to find a lost coworker who came out to play with us. I got all twisted up myself, and ended up running most of the advanced trails solo- trying to get back to the stranded CJ-7. While I was away, another group happened by my group. A blinged-out TJ with them tried to winch out our CJ. He got a brief tug from his 9500i, then 'poof', it died. So the guy locks his front ARB and tries to tug out the CJ and 'BAM!', front joint/shaft detonate. Guy apparently wouldn't listen to anyone saying "Stop!", keeps on tugging another second and 'BOOM!', one of his Warn hubs explodes. About that point the guy decides he's done trying to be the hero, tucks tail, and leaves. One of the other rigs in my group was able to strap the CJ out of the ravine, nearly flopping it onto it's other side in the process.

-That was about the extent of our carnage. I did manage to get myself stuck on my 2nd run through the logjam at the obsticle course. It was very soupy, and the ruts between the logs were deep enough that my rockers were sitting ON the logs. That's deep. My first run through was fun. After 5 minutes of back-n-forth in the deepest ruts, I got a front tire up and took advantage of it with a healthy blip of the throttle: I loooove my 350! Airtime wasn't that long, but long enough to get a "Whoa! What happened?" out of my copilot and better-half .

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Truly, there are no issues with who does the work when it needs to be done.
True, true. I almost always find myself deeply involved in trail repairs. Time-allowing, I usually have the rig owner do the labor, and I coach him/her through. It serves as a good learning experience for the owner. If they get frustrated or aren't confident enough to dig in, I have no problem doing it.
When it comes to welding-required breakage, that's not something you really want to turn over to someone that has no idea what their doing.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:23 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

wow! that must have been a wild trip indeed
glad everyone made it out ok.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 02-23-2004, 01:28 PM

One thing I noticed, is people who think with out thinking, and people who do things with out thinking. Prime example, I was crawling over Jeffs Jeep to attach a strap; I was leaning out to grab the other strap. Hellbender, being a smart man, grabbed hold of me so I didn't fall off face first into the rocks, 5 feet down.

Some people have really good common sense. For all others: there are check list and bandages.