Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 05-22-2006, 09:13 AM

Question Critique my weld

After spending some time with a good friend on Saturday a few ideas were suggested on a little project I'm attempting where I'll be doing some welding with my 110VAC Hobart 135. I do run a mix tank.

The welder is rated to weld 3/16" steel with one pass, but in this case I'm trying it's ability to slightly go beyond that & weld 1/4" plate and square tubing. So I figured I'd take a few practice beads and get some feedback before going further and actually welding on my project. The project is a HPD30 SOA truss. In hindsight, I probably should have gone with a slightly thinner material for the square tubing.

Anyway, here is a couple pics I'd like comments on. Please be critical. I had the welder set at #4 (highest setting) and the wire speed at ~70 of 100. Also, if you think I need to use a better welder or if my welding technique simply suxs, that's okay too.

These are just some scrap from the material I'm using.

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:36 AM

I'd re-think using 1/4" material for a truss. It's just unnecessary weight.

The welds look like crap. You should give up and give the welder to someone deserving

(Damn nice considering you've maxed out the welders power. If you could slow down the wire speed you might be able to get a little more heat, but I imagine you've already tried that. That last pic sure looks like your getting some penetration )
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 AM

Yeah, 1/4" seems to be overkill. Perhaps rectangle tube that's 3/16" 2"x3" or 2"x2" would have been better.

I've tried slowing it down to ~55, 60 & 65. The welder seems to run better at 70 as compared to the lower settings with the thickness of steel I'm using.

One thing I should have mentioned.....the circuit breaker it's plugged into is too weak (15 amp). IIRC, it's much better if it's plugged into a 30 amp. Every so often the breaker will trip, and yesterday it did once.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:30 AM

You've got a handle on it.

Truss away.

Allen

EDIT

OK, it seems that someone wasn't happy with my advice and harrassed me over the phone.

Rightfully so I guess. I just don't have the e-time I used to have.

Best thing to do is call me, so I can get into all the details I don't have time to type out.

PM'd you my number.
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:15 PM

Will do. Is your phone ringing yet?