Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-25-2003, 08:34 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Aircraft Style / Switch Covered Toggle Switch Source

Aircraft Style / Switch Covered Toggle Switch Source

Hi Folks, I thought I would make you aware of a new Aircraft Style / Switch Covered Toggle Switch that I recently found at AutoZone for $8.95. I figured some might be interested being these are considerably less expensive then new military surplus switches of this type.

Here is a picture.

This is a single pole single throw (SPST) ?on/off? toggle switch rated at 15 Amps.

The toggle cover appears to be made of Orange Bakelite (Not metal, like the surplus military switches)

Pilot Automotive makes the switch. Their web site is http://www.pilotautomotive.com/pilot2ap1n.htm

I purchased four of these switches and plan to used them for those circuits that I want to ensure positive control over. In my case I will use these switches as follows:

1. To turn my radiator?s electric cooling fan OFF for water crossings.
2. Master Control for my Winch (even though Hydraulic I want to ?HAVE TO? turn this switch on before my in-cab winch controls will work.
3. Master Control for my Lockers. I want to make/break the electrical circuit for my front and rear lockers with this switch.
4. The fourth switch will be used at some later date.

All four switches will be mounted to a bracket I will make to mount above the rear view mirror on the windshield frame.

I do plan to waterproof these switches by dipping them in liquid electrical tape.

Here is a picture of what a similar switch looks like when waterproofed.

Please note the small black nipple, which threads on and covers the toggle to complete the waterproofing. These nipples are available at Radio Shack, Loews and Home Depot. (Two (2) for $1.95)

While I purchased my switches at AutoZone it is my understanding they will soon be available at Pep Boys and Advanced Auto Parts as well.

I hope some find this info useful.

Frank
Old 02-25-2003, 09:56 AM

Thanks Frank.
I haven't seen these at my Auto Zone but I'll keep a look out.
I can use one for my Off Road lights as the switch is kind of close to my bony knees and sometimes inadvertently gets turned on. Seems cheap and they look cool.