Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2008, 04:54 PM

Life: Post military retirement

Tomorrow is my 33rd birthday. Lately it has been hitting me that the military portion of my life is coming to an end. I joined the Marines when I was 17 and have already reenlisted out to my 20 year mark just a bit over 4 years from now. This boards members, for the most part, are a bit senior to myself, so I thought I would ask some opinions from you all.

I'm a family guy with a wife and two kids. My retirement will bring in about $3,000 a month after taxes +3% each year for inflation starting the first day after the month I retire plus ful medical benefits for the family. Basically my house will be paid for and we will have great medical insurance. I plan to work for 30 years after military retirement to pay the house off, then use the retirement to actually retire on.

Here's my dilemma. As much as I have enjoyed the military, it's not something that I care to continue dealing with on the civillian side. I wil have done my time in my opinion. There are MANY contractor and government jobs I could take and make a healthy 6 figures on top of my retirement with the education and experience I have collected over the years. BUT..and it's a big but..my real passions in life is spinning wrenches. I just love to get dirty working on cars.

Having spent my entire adult life in service, I think maybe it's time to do something I love for the next part of my life. I'm getting ready to step into some uncharted waters soon. My family is on my side 100% either way.

My basic question is: If you didn't have to worry about a house payment or retirement and were just working to put food on the table, would you turn down the bigger check for doing something you actually enjoy?