Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > Black Label

Black Label Have you been treated good or bad? Share your story. This is the place to praise or shame

Old 11-28-2005, 02:51 PM

HF Jack Stands???

I rotated my tires this past weekend, I used 6 ton HF jack stands. I had a jack stand go down on me after I removed my rear left lugs (I had loosened the lugs before I raised the TJ). The tire was still on there, so my Jeep didn't fall, but it made me think about being under cars throughout my life that have been supported only by jack stands. I am sure this was my fault, and I didn't check to make sure the jack stand was on there firm. But, the TJ rested on that stand for a minute or so before it went down.

So here is my question, is there a better (safer) jack stand?

TIA,
Rob
Old 11-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Reggae

What exactly happened? The stand slipped from under the axle? The lock broke?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Re: HF Jack Stands???

Quote:
Originally posted by tiger-bailey
I rotated my tires this past weekend, I used 6 ton HF jack stands. I had a jack stand go down on me after I removed my rear left lugs (I had loosened the lugs before I raised the TJ). The tire was still on there, so my Jeep didn't fall, but it made me think about being under cars throughout my life that have been supported only by jack stands. I am sure this was my fault, and I didn't check to make sure the jack stand was on there firm. But, the TJ rested on that stand for a minute or so before it went down.

TIA,
Rob
Rob, all adjustable lever jackstands are susceptible to this. What happens is the locking pawl doesn't engage the slots in the t-bar all the way and when it slips the stand goes all the way down.

Try the stand again and look at the angle of the lever handle. You can see when it's all the way down versus halfway engaged. Just make sure that it's all the way engaged before you lower the jack. Another thing I do is drop the jack really quickly the last inch or so to make sure the stand will hold before I get under the rig.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:53 PM

I haven't had any issues with HF stands and use them frequently. This is a good reminder to make sure the locking mechanism engages, though. That's why I always give the vehicle a couple good shakes before removing the tires.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 11-28-2005, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
What exactly happened? The stand slipped from under the axle? The lock broke?
It didn't slip or break, what happened was what Mr. Blaine stated. The locking paw must not have been all the way engaged. I will follow Mr. Blaine's advice to look at the angle of the lever handle.

I have to admit it scared the crap out of me. It supported the TJ for a short time then fell to the base setting. I have been under F-bodies too many times to have very rarely checked my jack stands' locks.

I would ask everyone to please be careful and check their jack stands every time.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Reggae

Thank you for the heads up. I did not know the jack-stands could do that. It certainly is a serious safety issue.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Re: HF Jack Stands???

Quote:
Originally posted by tiger-bailey

TIA,
Rob
BTW- what part of my home state do you reside in?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:49 PM

Re: Re: HF Jack Stands???

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
BTW- what part of my home state do you reside in?
Albuquerque. Before Albuquerque I lived in San Francisco, Atlanta, and Charlotte. I really like it here in the desert, and I'm staying,