Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-06-2003, 10:12 AM

Any of the ZJ guys get/do their shifter recall yet?

I just recieved my recall notice in the mail yesterday for the shifter.

Anyone know what exactly they are going to install? Does it make the shifting out or into park more annoying?

I'm going to call a dealership to find out, but I just wanted to check here first.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:37 AM

Shalom, I got mine along time ago....

I never did it, because I am not one of those "idiots" that forgets to put their jeep in park,

I have never had a problem, and I am in the habit of puttin on my ebrake also..
Old 02-06-2003, 03:12 PM

I'm thinking along the same lines, but at the same time, if it doesn't make the shift lock anymore annoying, then I don't see what the big deal is.

If it makes shifting in and out of gears a multistep process though, I think I'd pass.

I'm pretty leary of recall "upgrades" after my dad's GMC sonoma went in for an ABS reprogram that made the problem it was supposed to fix from somewhat inconvienent to downright dangerous.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:12 PM
AA reject

Shalom--
I had it done and thought it was worth it. More of a positive feeling when locking into park. You could definitly feel it.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:14 AM

I didn't have mine done either... I don't let anyone touch my jeep that doesn't have to... That and last time I went to pick up a part, one of the salesman asked me if I had a lifted liberty, since he saw the tire on the back
Tim
Old 02-07-2003, 09:50 AM

I had mine done after I cleaned up the neutral safety switch and shifting points got a little ou of wack. So I had them adjust the shift cable and they installed the secondary shift detent. I noticed immediatly the better shifter feel and to be honest I notice nothing different as far as shifting procedures. i.e. how to shift, just a better shifting response.

I think it was worth it. Besides it is fun messing with the service writers because they see a lot of steel hanging off the jeep and they just scratch their heads.

Chad
Old 02-07-2003, 10:58 AM

Okay, that's all I wanted to know. If it shifts the same, I'm in. I was afraid they were going to put some annoying secondary switch or procedure to shift in and out of park.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:09 PM

ours is a little firmer to shift now (not the transmission, but the shifter).....kind of a pain, but it was pretty bad before. If I drove it everyday, I wouldn't notice it after a while (I could get used to it, but don't like it--my wife doesn't notice)

YJ tub, YJ 'frame', MB 'look', TBI 350/700/D300, GM D60/14 bolt, etc., etc., etc. leaf sprung on a 101" wheelbase

(former station wagon on 35" MT/Rs owner)
Old 02-13-2003, 12:49 PM

The recall notice should explain what they will do although not as detailed as the recall instructions. They will pull the shift knob/bezel and installthe extra detent which also applies some pressure in all the other postions making it feel not as sloppy when shifting.

Mike Palmer bring yours by and I will install it.