Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-26-2004, 08:42 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Hood-Rack w/Off Road Lights

Hood-Rack w/Off Road Lights

Hi folks, this has been a rather miserable week weather wise. First -2 degrees for a day, and then an ice storm. I finally managed to get the time, and inclination to install the Hood-Rack and Off Road lights I picked up from Tough Stuff Products. (Hellbender's Company.)

I thought I would post a few pictures now and do the installation write-up over the next day or so.

Here's what it looks like with my 4-foot Shovel and Axe mounted to it.

The Hood-Rack mounts directly on top of the Jeeps Hood Hinges. Basically you take the three screws out of the hinge, and bolt the Hood-Rack directly on top of the existing hood hinges (with a rubber gasket in between). I like this, NO DRILLING!!! And all the bolt and nut hardware is Stainless Steel. No RUST!

The Hood Rack itself came with a rather nice "wrinkle finish" powered coating.

The installation of the Hood Rack is simple, and can clearly be done in 30 minutes or less.

If you add lights, which are an add on option you can count on another hour or so to mount, align and wire them.

The six lights are your basic 55 watt driving lights. You won't find any fancy Optics in these, but they do illuminate the night pretty well.

The Hood-Rack can hold two devices, such as a shovel, pick axe, or axe, right as it comes out of the box. I plan to make a small rubber adaptor so I can carry spare axles on the hood if I need to in the future.

The Hood-Rack can also carry a Hi-Lift Jack. Sorry I don't have any pictures with the Hi-Lift mounted. If you care to see how that works here is a link to the manufacturer.

http://www.toughstuffproducts.com/jeep/index.html

As I said, I'll do a small write-up over the next few days.

I like new products that are well engineered and designed to address a unique problem or issue. Storage of large items in my TJ has always been a problem for me.

I think I just found a solution.

More later,

Frank