Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Reggae

Is belt whine a problem?

A shop replaced accessory belts on my mom's Lancer. Now the car whines like it has a supercharger. She took it back and they told her it was normal.

They replaced two belts, but the noise comes from the fat Gatorback one, with crosscuts.

As far as I can tell the groves are aligned in the pulleys. Are loud belts like this common; can we just leave this alone and live with the noise, or is it hurting something?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
A shop replaced accessory belts on my mom's Lancer. Now the car whines like it has a supercharger. She took it back and they told her it was normal.

They replaced two belts, but the noise comes from the fat Gatorback one, with crosscuts.

As far as I can tell the groves are aligned in the pulleys. Are loud belts like this common; can we just leave this alone and live with the noise, or is it hurting something?

Thanks
Not normal, they should fix it. It may be the tensioner/pulley wearing out and not applying enough force to keep the belt tight.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Reggae

Thank you.

You think the belt is slipping? I'll try carefully spraying a little break fluid on it, while it is spinning, and see if it stops the noise. I am not sure what kind of tensioning mechanism is there (it is hard to see), it is probably automatic. But while the engine is off, by jeep standards the belt feels too tight.

I was thinking maybe it is those cross sips on the belt that make it loud. Any experience with belts like that? The whine is louder at higher RPMs.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
Thank you.

You think the belt is slipping? I'll try carefully spraying a little break fluid on it, while it is spinning, and see if it stops the noise. I am not sure what kind of tensioning mechanism is there (it is hard to see), it is probably automatic. But while the engine is off, by jeep standards the belt feels too tight.

I was thinking maybe it is those cross sips on the belt that make it loud. Any experience with belts like that? The whine is louder at higher RPMs.
Slipping belts are pretty annoying, so I don't know if yours is slipping. I do know that belts that are correct for their application with the proper tension do not make noise at any time.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Reggae

All right. Great. Thanks.