Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

In 4WP's defense, I've found their Compton retail store to have done a 180 degree turn from their past "shady" practices. The past several times I've actually been charged their advertised prices without having get scammed for full MSRP.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
Jerry you might want to try again with ORW. Just got off the phone with them. I called as a regular customer and asked about pricing and quality of both the RE kit and the FT kit. Damion said that he suggest going with the FT kit. He never even gave me a price on the re kit. All he could do was praise the FT kit and there quality. Said he has already done three this month. He did mention about there heims and said that they were good quailty but I could upgrade for some more money to the teflon lined ones. But he said if I maintained the kit that the FT ones were just fine. Very nice guy to talk new exactly what he was talking about and races a class 7 truck. I will defently buy things from them the next time Im down there. He also stated that Ft was there kit of choice, and that Rewas the best until FT came out.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
In 4WP's defense, I've found their Compton retail store to have done a 180 degree turn from their past "shady" practices. The past several times I've actually been charged their advertised prices without having get scammed for full MSRP.
I've heard that myself.

Knowing a little more about the retail side than I ever thought I would, I don't think charging full retail when a sale is on was ever anything but the salesman screwing up or simply being unaware of a particular sale going on. Honest-to-God, I really don't see how they keep up on all the sales that are always going on in the retail industry. The way it works is that the computer comes up with the normal pricing and then the salesman keys in the promotional code that lowers the price. The salesman SHOULD be aware of every single sale going on but by the shear volume of sales going on, both 4WP and manufacturer sponsored, it's just not that easy to keep up on them, especially when the counter is busy as it often is. Definitely not an excuse, just a likely reason. And the way the computers have to work, entering in those special codes to get the discounted price is just a fact of life.

Having met the owner of 4WP and most of the management, I have to say I'm convinced that trying to sell a part at full MSRP when it's on sale is not a practice that is ever encouraged or normal. It's just that sales are on and off and that some are more complex than others... a little friendly reminder to the sales guy behind the counter is likely to elicit a little embarassed 'whoops, sorry'. response.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

I have had trouble with 4wp in the past. The last draw was when I watched the guy up here in riverside try to rip off this college girl. she just wanted to be able to put on these pretty rims and 31's. Well after he told her the only way to run that size tire was a four inch lift I started to really listen in. Slipyoke elimanator kit cv drive shaft, and tons more. Well I steped in to help her and asked her what she was going to use the jeep for. School and the beach that was it. Well he got ****ed. I told her a 2" spacer lift and new shocks was all she needed. I asked her if she would like some help and she said yes. Well I installed her lift in my driveway and she was extreamly happy. $200 later she was on her way.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockjeep
i don't have a tj but ever leaf spring I bought or they have replaced for me has either sagged or broken. they ride nice but are weak. just my experance
That should tell you something about leafs!
Stock Jeep leafs invert and break as well. Should we all buy Hummers?

I have to get something off my chest here...
The RE LA lift has to be the most successfull lifts ever designed for a TJ. All you hear is how bad the radius arm design is. How it binds and prevents flex. How the radius arms cause torsional flex of the axle tubes. BS!!!! When's the last time you saw an axle tube rotated due to a RE lift? Last years 4x4 Jamboree here in AZ, hosted a ramping contest. The winner at over 1400 pts. was a Samurai. The second place honors at over 1340 pts. was my buddies 5.5" RE LA kit on full width axles. So; if he removed the upper passenger side radius arm; he could have flexed even greater? Why would anyone want to? Like any kit; RE needs maintaining.

I've been on many trips with a variety of lifts. The funny part is that we all get to the end of the trail regardless of lift brand or type. Heck; there's several guys running the RK LA on their XJ's and TJ's here. I saw no breakage and they went everywhere the other kits went. This is Jeeping folks! Anything can be broken and nothing is perfect.

Don't let anyone kid you; the most essential part of any 4x4 is the driver. Currie seems to be pushed down our throats here which is understandable with a few of you being friends with them. Sure; John has won events with his suspensions. He is a great driver. I looked into buying a Currie lift before deciding on my current setup. I wanted a triangulated rear with J-arms front and rear. I was told by the Currie staff that I had to purchase their rear diff in order to run their triangulated rear suspension. I tried to reason with the person on how I would fab mounts on my existing 44 for the tri-link and J-arms. I was basically told that they couldn't sell it that way. I certainly wasn't going to purchase a new rear diff for their suspension! I'm intrigued by the J-arm setup still, but my current setup has not held me back thus far. It does puzzle me that Fred seems to be the only person i've seen on the trail locally with the J-arm setup if it is the "end all" of suspension design. I've got to say; i've seen bigger differences between drivers, tires and lines taken than between most lift kits.

Back to my initial point...I see far more RE lifts on the trail than any other lift period. That says a lot to me.
totally worn out, shouting,
"...HOLY $HIT...what a ride!"
Old 08-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

you can't compair your friends full width axles. Just the axles alone would increase his score. My scrambler scores a 1400 on a 20 degree ramp and a 1290 on a 30 degree. And besides the ramp is not a real world test. but there fun
Old 08-12-2004, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I have had trouble with 4wp in the past. The last draw was when I watched the guy up here in riverside try to rip off this college girl. she just wanted to be able to put on these pretty rims and 31's. Well after he told her the only way to run that size tire was a four inch lift I started to really listen in. Slipyoke elimanator kit cv drive shaft, and tons more. Well I steped in to help her and asked her what she was going to use the jeep for. School and the beach that was it. Well he got ****ed. I told her a 2" spacer lift and new shocks was all she needed. I asked her if she would like some help and she said yes. Well I installed her lift in my driveway and she was extreamly happy. $200 later she was on her way.
Did you get anything for helping her - you know - maybe good word of mouth or something...
Old 08-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

No, I am married and wasn't in it for that. Besides the wife was there helping.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:24 AM

Quote:
you can't compair your friends full width axles. Just the axles alone would increase his score. My scrambler scores a 1400 on a 20 degree ramp and a 1290 on a 30 degree. And besides the ramp is not a real world test. but there fun
Please.....I'm not a complete idiot. Do you actually think he's the only Jeep here with full width axles that ramped at the Jamboree? I know ramping means nothing on the trail. I posted the score asking how the RE radius arms were hurting him. Surely you've heard the rumor that RE LA lifts bind and have limited flex due to the radius arms.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DsrtJeeper
Currie seems to be pushed down our throats here which is understandable with a few of you being friends with them.

Back to my initial point...I see far more RE lifts on the trail than any other lift period. That says a lot to me.
I hope you don't think my saying that in my opinion Currie makes the best lift means I'm pushing it down anyone's throat. I've taken my fair share of $hit for liking Curries products and I think that's unfair.

Thr Currie lift is expensive - that is a major souce of people slamming it on the web. Many of the forum Jeepers seem to be young people with little or no money. This is a horribly expensive hobby and I can see why cost would immediately eliminate a product from your list.

I also want you to note that not once did I say RE wasn't a great product or disparage their company. The only lift company I will without shame or doubt slam is Teraflex. I've owned two of their lifts and will never own another part they make.

IMO RE makes a great product and was a strong second choice for me. They make a product that meets or exceeds 98% of all Jeeping needs. Their products stand up to easy trails and daily driving, and they stand up to the Hammers. Seth competed with his RE LA kit. If they weren't the first LA kit out there they were one of the first. You see a lot because they put out a quality product at a good price. You see a lot of Honda Accords for the same reason.

Why did I pick Currie? I like John - even before I met Blaine I interacted with John as a "regular customer" and have never been treated so well in a retail store this side of Nordstroms. Having a connection with people I do business with is something that I enjoy. I only shop at a couple drum shops because I have relationships with them, same with Jeep parts. I don't like to do a lot of "online" business for that reason. I do pay more but it's worth it to me.

I like their designs - many of which they developed. I think John goes the extra mile most of the time when it comes to design and materials used.

I know their products are super strong and I knew I was building for JV.

They are local. I was able to drive over and pick up rebuild kits for all my JJ when I re-did my arms last year. That to me is worth a premium on price.

If the question was "what is the best lift for the money" I'd be hard pressed to not recommend RE.

You and I both know that the reason you don't see more J-Arm kits is that the fabrication necessary puts it well beyond the average JU level Jeeper who wants something he can bolt on. Installing an RE kit is not nearly as difficult. I would love to J arm my Jeep, but because I can't weld I don't see that happening anytime soon. If I had a need for a LA suspension, I'd have to pick one of the bolt on variety.

In the end - 99.9% of people recommend what they purchased - that is just human nature.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2004, 11:35 AM

Jerry;
If all is good there; PLEASE come down and fire all the crooks at the Mesa store!!!

That place is the biggest ripoff and our club knows it. 4WP put on a club meet and greet at the store in Mesa. We were to receive club discounts on any purchases. Not one member received a discount and there was quite a thread about it on our website. 4WP's advertised giveaways and drawings along with a ramping contest. None was to be found.

If you walk in there with a coupon from their mag; they quote you the price out of their book. I've asked twice now where the discount was and the guy told me that was the discounted price. Yet; the price was quoted right off the computer or out of a catalog at price listed. So where is my 10-20% off? They always have an excuse. They will never be what 4 Wheelers Supply is to us in the valley. I don't think the salesperson is making honest mistakes here. That's a cop out.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:36 AM

Quote:
No, I am married and wasn't in it for that. Besides the wife was there helping.
Hmmm - a TRIO gig

Jeff
Old 08-12-2004, 11:52 AM

One more quick comment - of the group I typically wheel with, as far as I know I'm the only one running Currie short arms. Blaine runs Currie J Arms.

Of the people I know about:

Sergey - Skyjacker
Kat - Skyjacker
Robert - home made
Scott - RE
Jeff W - FT LA

Several of us run their springs however.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2004, 11:54 AM

Jeff;
In my case, money was not so much of an issue. What was an issue was that Currie wanted me to purchase their rear diff with brackets already welded on. That's what kept me from purchasing. Emberassingly enough; I spent twice what an RE lift would cost and don't feel that I received my money's worth. The lift works, but I truley believe I could have gotten by just fine with a RE LA lift.

I did say that I understood where the Currie recommendations were coming from, but it just gets old here and on JU. I do respect all of your opinions just the same here.

As far as not seeing Currie's lifts on the trails here; that includes bolton SA kits. Also; I know this is the land of the feeble retiree, but we are capable of awesome fabrication here. I live right near Larry Fadrill and Kevin McMullen who build and race some of the wildest offroad buggies around. Both have done work for me in many cases. There is as much opportunity to install Currie lifts here as anywhere else if not more so. Also; I was speaking of our local trails and not about members of JU in other states. Although; i've found ppl with less money often buy good products and learn to fab themselves to save money.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
One more quick comment - of the group I typically wheel with, as far as I know I'm the only one running Currie short arms. Blaine runs Currie J Arms.

Of the people I know about:

Sergey - Skyjacker
Kat - Skyjacker
Robert - home made
Scott - RE
Jeff W - FT LA

Several of us run their springs however.

Jeff
Wow! Some SJ kits in there! Do they work?

OK; Robert.....What's your secret setup?
Old 08-12-2004, 12:25 PM

My lower arms are what Skyjacker could have been. They look like them but they were assembled using different rod ends and tube - mostly chromoly on the rears.

I also run RE Uppers and a Johnny Joint front axle upper bracket conversion.

I used to run ProComp Springs and was plenty satisfied with them, even to the point of having bought a replacement set after the first set finally gave up the ghost and started to sag pretty good. I then switched to Currie Springs, mainly because I wanted the progressive rate rears and because I could also afford it. Trail observation also shows me that they work better, particularly the fronts wherein the spring reaches before it actually departs the bucket. That is one thing I never liked about RE - the springs leave the buckets.

Speaking of rod ends - I think they have their place and use of them does not automatically make a lift a pile of junk. As with anything else, quality is relative and having helped with Jeff's FT install, I don't see that as an issue. Its a quality kit.

Now that being said, rod ends are not necessarily the best choice for a daily driver. They will wear quickly in that environment, even quality joints, and they will transmit more noise and harshness into a rig than other types of joints. I have been running rod ends for probably a good year and a half now. My rig saw 5000 miles last year along wiht some pretty serious trail workouts and I have only one rod end that is making some noise at this point. Graphite spray seems to keep it in check but it will need to be replaced once it loosens up for good and starts to clunk. Eventually, I will swap out the rod ends and install Johnny Joints.

Don, are you still going to use your Jeep as a daily driver?

Edit: for content.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
I liked reading how all us 4WP people are "scam artist(s)".
You know Jerry, I was a bit taken back when I heard you went to work for them. After you had, online, complained about their service and knowledge.

I know that everyplace has thier problems, and I'm sure I'm not an easy customer to deal with, as I don't listen well. But here is some advice I got from 4WPH in El Cajon, CA.

"CO2 bottles will overheat in your jeep and blow up. Get VIAAIR."

"Billstien shocks are to soft for a TJ."

"Detroits are the only locker to have. ARB's don't engage fully and wear out."

"Your lifetime warrenty was recieved before we charged a price for a warrenty, so to get these springs you need to pay us 20 dollars."

"Ok, to get future warrenty work, you'll have to pay the price for a warrenty."

"MTR's are too soft and will wear out on street use."

"You don't have to worry about tie rods in TJ's"

These comments didn't all come from salesman. The shock and the CO2 comments came from the head guy in the service bay.

In fact during my days with deathwobble, they did an alignment that was 2 inches off on the toe. I went back and they said "well, that will solve the cupping problem".

Your mileage may vary, but my dollar goes else where.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:48 PM

What's ironic is that now 4WP's pushes Ox lockers. Hmmm; I wonder why?

Listen to this one.... I bought a CV driveshaft from them and installed it that day. I received a call that night from 4WP's wanting the driveshaft back because their inventory was off and they needed to install it on a dealer vehicle. The vehicle needed to be delivered that evening. (I guess they were more important than me as a customer.) 4WP's then had the odassity to ask me to bring it back to them some 40 miles away. Being the nice guy I am; I told them to come get it themselves and uninstall it. They did and replaced the shaft a few days later.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
My lower arms are what Skyjacker could have been. They look like them but they were assembled using different rod ends and tube - mostly chromoly on the rears.
Small world, my teamate on my hockey team owns the shop where Robert's arms were swedged. Mentioning my name could've gotten you a higher price.

Anyway, two bad incidents turned me off to 4WP for a long time. I sent my wife in once to pick up 4 shocks when 4WP was offering a buy 3 get 1 free deal. She showed them the ad, they agreed and then proceeded to charge full price anyway. If not for me looking at the receipt, she would've never known.

Also, I once brought in the magazine ad listing good prices on a bunch of parts I was buying. The guy then told me he couldn't honor those prices because they were for phone orders only. I told him, "no problem, I'll go outside and phone it in". He then said that they would add a "handling charge" and it would end up costing me the same amount. I didn't do business with them for about 2 years after that.

By necessity, I had to go back to 4WP and have been pleasantly surprised by their changed practices. e.g. stickered items, easy returns, etc.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Banned for being bad

Edit: for content. [/B][/QUOTE]

Just untill Jan, I am buying a Toyota Tundra in Jan so the wife will drive it just maybe 6miles a day.
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth

Just untill Jan, I am buying a Toyota Tundra in Jan so the wife will drive the jeep just maybe 6miles a day. [/B][/QUOTE]
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 03:09 PM

Quote:
[BI did say that I understood where the Currie recommendations were coming from, but it just gets old here and on JU. I do respect all of your opinions just the same here. [/B]
No more tiring to me then the constant praise of cheap $hit like Tera and others, and the constant personal slams we all take on JU

That is odd to me why Currie wouldn't sell the lift. There are benefits to being able to walk in the store - that is for sure (and to knowing people that are friends of John's!) What lift did you end up buying?

Regarding the Skyjacker short arms, Sergey beats on his harder then the rest of us combined (Sergey beats EVERYTHING HARD) - his have done pretty and as far as I know haven't required any service out of the ordinary.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2004, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth

Just untill Jan, I am buying a Toyota Tundra in Jan so the wife will drive it just maybe 6miles a day. [/B][/QUOTE]

For an IT guy, you suck at the internet - learn how to quote dammit

Alright, since you aren't daily driving it, I don't see any reason why you simply cannot bolt on a Currie short arm lift including an Antirock, get flat underneath, lock your rig up, move to 35's and call it good. That will get you the most bang for your buck - that is unless you won the lottery and can afford more expense.

I'd also look at a cage, some recovery gear (straps & tow points front and rear are mandatory, maybe a winch) and more armor for your control arm brackets, oil/tranny pan and rear corners.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:30 PM

Jeff;
That's pretty cool that the SJ SA kit is holding up.

I run a 6" TBT lift with 1" BL. It too uses SJ coils F&R. The lift has done fine so far other than the cartridge joints don't measure up to RE's or Curries in my opinion. They get sloppy fairly quick. Troy is stubborn and if he can build it; he won't buy it from a vendor. Also; I think I can go with a longer bodied shock in front than what's supplied with the kit. I have Rancho 9168 fronts which show 7" of shaft while sitting static on the Jeep. That sure is alot of up travel! I want droop. Blaine has counseled me on this issue, but it's hard to get motivated in this hellish heat.

I'm kinda curious what you guys are running up front? How much shaft shows?
Old 08-12-2004, 03:34 PM

I'm running the same shock Eric and I do not need more droop - my springs will just start to unseat as it is which is right were I want them to be.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Just untill Jan, I am buying a Toyota Tundra in Jan so the wife will drive it just maybe 6miles a day.
For an IT guy, you suck at the internet - learn how to quote dammit

Alright, since you aren't daily driving it, I don't see any reason why you simply cannot bolt on a Currie short arm lift including an Antirock, get flat underneath, lock your rig up, move to 35's and call it good. That will get you the most bang for your buck - that is unless you won the lottery and can afford more expense.

I'd also look at a cage, some recovery gear (straps & tow points front and rear are mandatory, maybe a winch) and more armor for your control arm brackets, oil/tranny pan and rear corners. [/B][/QUOTE]

OMG!!! I just added this all up. I could have a pimped out Escalade by now!
Old 08-12-2004, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I'm running the same shock Eric and I do not need more droop - my springs will just start to unseat as it is which is right were I want them to be.
How much lift; Robert? My springs are 18" tall on the Jeep in front.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
First, as I have seen on this and every other forum, you don't have to be an owner of a particular product to be able to form an opinion on it. Plus if face-to-face conversations with people in the industry can't also be useful for obtaining credible information, then I guess you have to buy and install every product before you can have an opinion, or so I gather from your comment. So your "As far as you being happy with a product that you have not even driven on over a product you have only heard about, Well????" comment left me cold Blaine. Which of those two brands are you running?

As you know Jerry, I don't have to run a product on my rig to have been there during the installation, the consequent testing of it under my close supervision, or the repair and problem solving afterwards.

So which have I run, well, currrently I'm running RE springs in the front, does that qualify? Before them I was running RK 5.5's and they replaced PC 4" + 3/4" spacer. I also ran a mix of Skyjacker and RE arms and then went to Currie and a mix of my own fabrication with rod ends. Before all of them were the PC stage II's. Along the way I've had 2 different SYE kits, 4 different ARB airlockers, 5 different tire sizes in three different brands, 5 different axles and so many suspension iterations I can no longer keep track and you want me to accept your hearsay as something by which to judge a lift by when you know that we have no higher regard for anything less than personal experience.

Their "agenda"? What agenda? One shop manager is a dealer of FT, the 4WP area manager is not. They both, independently of each other, told me that they had been seeing FT LA-equipped Jeeps coming into their shops for repairs that neither felt was appropriate of the kit's reputation. What brought all this up was when I mentioned how great the FT kit looked and how I had been hearing reports of its "better" engineering.... so one ORW shop manager who installs FT LA kits and another who doesn't install them but has had them in for repairs both told me that based on what they had both seen, that neither were as impressed with FT's quality as they once had been. Both guys run shops, one guy runs multiple shops.

Agenda Jerry, that which causes you to make statements about stuff without telling folks why. Sorta like you espousing the merits of the Ox locker without actually ever owning one. The agenda there is that they are now in a close relationship with your employer and if they were owned and distributed by a competitor, you would not say the same things about Ox.

When someone tells me that they have issues with rod ends, I want to know the details. Rod end quality varies as much as does tire quality and without knowing whether or not the guy has a dislike of rod ends in general or just wants to clear out his stock of RE stuff makes me suspect of his motives.

It's great that you feel Drew will fix any problems that become an issue, I'm sure he will. But for you to imply what I said was invalid and indeed ridicule it because I don't personally own a FT kit and haven't yet installed my RE LA didn't do a thing for me. And I never mentioned tie-rod ends. Go ahead and ban me if you like for my not having appreciated how my input was responded to.
I have no reason to ban you and I think it's beneath you to suggest that I do.

Yes, you can form an opinion of something without actually owning it. Just tell us what your agenda is, and then we'll go from there. You do have to admit that you liking your RE kit before you have driven on it, is slightly amusing.

So, let's play it your way for awhile. You ask a question and I'll give you an opinion based on hearsay. How long will my credibility last?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That should tell you something about leafs!
Stock Jeep leafs invert and break as well. Should we all buy Hummers?

I have to get something off my chest here...
The RE LA lift has to be the most successfull lifts ever designed for a TJ. All you hear is how bad the radius arm design is. How it binds and prevents flex. How the radius arms cause torsional flex of the axle tubes. BS!!!! When's the last time you saw an axle tube rotated due to a RE lift? Last years 4x4 Jamboree here in AZ, hosted a ramping contest. The winner at over 1400 pts. was a Samurai. The second place honors at over 1340 pts. was my buddies 5.5" RE LA kit on full width axles. So; if he removed the upper passenger side radius arm; he could have flexed even greater? Why would anyone want to? Like any kit; RE needs maintaining.

I've been on many trips with a variety of lifts. The funny part is that we all get to the end of the trail regardless of lift brand or type. Heck; there's several guys running the RK LA on their XJ's and TJ's here. I saw no breakage and they went everywhere the other kits went. This is Jeeping folks! Anything can be broken and nothing is perfect.

Don't let anyone kid you; the most essential part of any 4x4 is the driver. Currie seems to be pushed down our throats here which is understandable with a few of you being friends with them. Sure; John has won events with his suspensions. He is a great driver. I looked into buying a Currie lift before deciding on my current setup. I wanted a triangulated rear with J-arms front and rear. I was told by the Currie staff that I had to purchase their rear diff in order to run their triangulated rear suspension. I tried to reason with the person on how I would fab mounts on my existing 44 for the tri-link and J-arms. I was basically told that they couldn't sell it that way. I certainly wasn't going to purchase a new rear diff for their suspension! I'm intrigued by the J-arm setup still, but my current setup has not held me back thus far. It does puzzle me that Fred seems to be the only person i've seen on the trail locally with the J-arm setup if it is the "end all" of suspension design. I've got to say; i've seen bigger differences between drivers, tires and lines taken than between most lift kits.

I'm suprised that you feel you have had Currie shoved down your throat.

What makes you feel that way. I rarely recommend much of their stuff because of the price and if I do, it's pretty well qualified.

There is no end all suspension on the market today and that includes everyone. It's impossible to make one suspension set-up do everything well.

Your comment about the quantity of RE on the trail makes me wonder if it's a good kit or excellent marketing. For awhile Tera ruled until the flaws started showing up.

I do know that the perceived quality of something is often due to the golden tongues of the superior debater and not in the actual merits of the product.

Maybe you are experiencing that in the inverse here. There are some fairly articulate and opinionated folk around here who are good at defending their choices and perhaps you have taken that for more than it's worth.

Myself, I have strong opinions about stuff that I can prove the merits of and stronger dislikes of stuff that I can fault. Am I wrong in expressing that?

Until FT came along, there was no question over which long arm kit to buy. Does that make them superior or just better than the crap they were competing against? You don't have to shine very brightly in the offroad arena to outdo either the Tera long arm or the skyjacker long arm.

I do agree strongly that the driver will get to the end of the trail long before any kit will. Hands down.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:05 PM

Quote:
How much lift; Robert? My springs are 18" tall on the Jeep in front.
Don't rightly know Eric, I'm running Currie springs and have never measured them. Now I just did not get lucky, I have cycled my suspension to make sure I have both clearance and proper bumpstop. Height was not the defining issue - performance was and I made sure to check the fit after I installed the springs. My 35's barely kiss the rear flares and fronts while they will make a fair bit of racket when stuffed, do nothing more than rub on the flares. Like I said, I did not need to address the shocks as I found that the springs would get loose in the perches - anymore droop and they would unseat which I do not want.