Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 12-17-2007, 03:49 PM

Question 00 TJ and the heater switch

2000 TJ 102k miles
My Heater switch is not working on defrost and defrost/floor everything else works even ac settings. I pulled the switch panel and everything seems ok I can here a little vacuum when turning positions but no blow'n air on the last to selections. All the fuses checked out ok with the test light, with icy windows I could use the defroster setting now and then.
Searched there was a post on here with a broken switch but mine is good and the lines are not pinched/crimped.
Seems that 00TJ's have a multitude of air climate switch trouble. do I just replace the 3 switch panel? or am I needing to go deeper.
thanks

Larry
Old 12-18-2007, 06:44 PM

I'd test the switch before replacing it...I'd fiddle till I could tell if I had current across- then look up "testing a rocker switch" on Google- then ask here!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:21 PM

did I say rocker? when you said three switch panel I thought of the rockers below the heater bank. Check current to and the rotary switches. (before you replace them that is) I'd also try come contact cleaner on them.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:45 AM

Yes the "climate control" knobs I said swithches should of said knobs. yes I seen the 2 wire plug that goes beside the knob-I'll see if that'll come off and clean it up.

I did pull apart the back of the knob really not much there considering all the vacuum lines going in. just wierd it works on everything except windshield & floor and windshield (last 2 to the right) and just didnt work one day no intermittant problems leading up to it.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:18 PM

ok pulled everything apart the knob (with the vacuum lines)has plenty of copper 3 springs and one bearing-lucky it went back together correctly.
I said 2 wires on back plug well there are 3 -black, dark green DG and light green LG. the DG is bigger and seems to get more power than the LG, at least the current tester light was brighter for the DG?

I took out the fuse box and it dosent seem those wires go to it they go back in behind the heater and I dont know where after that to tight to get in. .
I havent traced the wires back to the source hopping someone has a schematic with that info.