Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-30-2001, 07:20 PM
Banned

!!! XJ D44 into TJ !!!???

I have the opportunity to purchase a D44 from an XJ for $350. I see for $300 RE sells ALL of the rear brackets, etc. Any downsides? I need to know quick if there is anything I don't know about XJ D44s that will make this harder than having the brackets/perches welded on.

BTW, I don't know the year of the XJ, and I'll be swapping out gears anyway so that won't matter.

TIA.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-30-2001, 07:37 PM

I dont know all thatis involved but if you end up with some 3.73s and a carrier I could use them. 3.54s work too.

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 08-30-2001, 08:54 PM
Administrator

The only concern will be the width. Minor at that. Backspacing on rims can fix that.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Which is more important, the degree or education?
Old 08-31-2001, 08:12 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Hill:
I dont know all thatis involved but if you end up with some 3.73s and a carrier I could use them. 3.54s work too.

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at <A HREF="http://www.real-jeeps.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE" TARGET=_blank>http://www.real-jeeps.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE</A>>

Scott - I have spare D44 Trac lok carrier laying around in my garage but no gears for it - they are still on the Jeep. The carrier is yours if you want it.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 08-31-2001, 09:59 AM

Robert,
That would be great. want to meet up at Blaine's if that is OK with him??

I could use a little welding on my Jeep so maybe I can talk you into helping me out Blaine???

Old 08-31-2001, 10:07 AM

I will be at Blaines both later tonight and most of the day tomorrow so I will bring it with me. As far as getting some welding done on your ride - the garage is already booked with a silver ZJ undergoing some serious axle surgery

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 08-31-2001, 12:49 PM

I know I figured the welder would be out so I could tack my front bars back together. you know the ones that hold the boomerangs. unless someone has a set of these I hosed mine but made new center sections that where compression fitted together but have come loose.

Old 08-31-2001, 01:51 PM
Administrator

I can help if we can get your jeep close enough to the welder. Shalom is coming by to help clear out the mess in the garage and get started.

Ace- I think if you put a pencil to it, the xj 44 is not very cost effective. The stock TJ 44 makes more sense.

Old 08-31-2001, 02:12 PM
Banned

Thanks Blaine, that's exactly what I've been doing (putting pencil to paper). After adding the price of the XJ D44 price and price of welding and new brackets (I could use them from my D35, but then it is less likely I'll be able to sell it as easily) I'd likely find something bolt-in for close to the same. After talking to the guy selling it, and adding incidentals, it doesn't seem like the deal I thought it was.

In the spring I think I'll be able to find a TJ D44 pretty easily for under $1k (I can get a new one for $1400 if I buy it within the next couple days, although I'm not doing that). My wife's got A LOT of contacts at auto salvage places, so I'll have leads when I'm ready, and they'll discount stuff to her. I'm picking up the D30R next Saturday (in a week) and I'll play with it until I'm ready to buy a D44 (next spring), then have them geared the same, probably a couple Detroits and spend a weekend bolting them in.

Old 08-31-2001, 03:05 PM

Ace, if you can find TJ D44's for under a thousand, let us know. Mine pretty much got my email beat on JU and you know the price I was asking. A few balked, but I've got 3 really solid offers and those are non shipping deals. You could make a mint.

R/
William Karstens
Old 08-31-2001, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Ace-If your wife has all of those contacts, I sure could use a late model D-30R. I'll take just the housing, but a whole one will suffice also.

I'd prefer 97-99 if possible. Have cash. Need Now!

Old 08-31-2001, 03:32 PM
Banned

The number of them available would be so few, I doubt it'd be worth the hassle if the mark-up is only a few hundred bucks, especially since this will be a So Oregon thing (shipping would probably eat most of any profit). I'm waiting for a phone number from my wife right now, just to check a couple of things, but probably won't get it until after 5:00PM. That means I probably won't be able to call until after the holiday.

But as an example, I had quotes of $450 - $1200 for a RC D30. I'm picking one up a week from Saturday for ~$200 (minus brakes on one side, and I may have to pull it myself). I've got a contact that does any axle work to build pretty much anything (cutting down, fully re-tubing, spring perches, etc.) so if need be I can almost complete a swap into my TJ based on just the diff housing (well, sort of, and of course it wouldn't be free ) Anyway, if I find I can get a number of anything worthwhile I will let the group here know.

Edit: Blaine I didn't see your post right away. I got an e-mail earlier today that my wife wouldn't be available most of today. I'm hoping she calls before 5:00 (I tried her, but she wasn't available). If not it'll have to wait until next week.

BTW, I also was told by someone at Currie (I forget who) to call and talk to Nick (if I remember correctly), that they have D30s in from when people do front axle upgrades. I was told they cut them up (brackets, control arm mounts, etc.) to weld the stuff on their D44s and 9". I was told that if they have some that haven't been cut yet that they'll likely sell them complete (or any manner they've got them). If you've got contacts there you're likely to get a pretty good deal and not have to deal with shipping them from Oregon.

[This message was edited by Ace! on August 31, 2001 at 04:48 PM.]
Old 08-31-2001, 04:57 PM

well thank you Blaine I wont need to get the jeep in there the parts I need a tack on are bolt in parts. I would also like to give a hand to help out Shalone if you all need it. if not I might just sit in te corner and watch it should be fun.

Old 08-31-2001, 07:27 PM

Blaine, I will be by border parts on Tuesday afternoon. Unless they are open tommorrow, in which case I'll swing buy.

R/
William