Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 11-09-2008, 04:28 PM

Air Compressors.....Bel Aire

I'm looking at 4 air compressors for my weld trailer.

One is an IR with a Kohler. 13 HP I believe. 2k

One is a CP with a 10 HP Briggs. 1600

One is a Northern Equipment house brand with a 13 HP Honda. 1800.

One is a Bel Aire with a 10 HP Briggs. 1700 Same compressor with a 13 HP Honda is 2300.

All have electric start, rated to 175 PSI, and put out 24-25 CFM. I believe all have a 100% duty cycle and have a 2 year warranty.

I'd like a Honda, would be perfectly content with the Kohler powered IR, but if I can save a few bucks, it'd really help out.

Has Briggs & Stratton really fallen that far? Or am I "over paying" for the Honda or Kohler name?
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 AM

Nobody has any opinions or experiences?
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Reggae

We use some various compressors in the lab at work on the sucking side. It?s a constant battle to keep them running ? we swap spares in and rebuild compressors all the time. On the pushing side we use nitrogen, stored in liquid form ? fabulous, nothing to break, and the storage tank phones the provider to come and fill at up once levels of nitrogen get low.

Sorry, I don?t know if compressors used for welding give people less headaches, but in the lab we prefer to avoid compressors whenever other alternatives are available.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
We use some various compressors in the lab at work on the sucking side. It?s a constant battle to keep them running ? we swap spares in and rebuild compressors all the time. On the pushing side we use nitrogen, stored in liquid form ? fabulous, nothing to break, and the storage tank phones the provider to come and fill at up once levels of nitrogen get low.

Sorry, I don?t know if compressors used for welding give people less headaches, but in the lab we prefer to avoid compressors whenever other alternatives are available.
The only headache it's giving me is picking one out. And to be honest, I don't want to spend close to 2k for a compressor, but I will if I have to.

The compressor will be used for the occasional air tool, but mostly it's for a carbon arc torch. That process uses a carbon rod to melt metal. It's the opposite of welding. I can completely and neatly cut out a 6 inch weld in seconds. You can also use it to pierce a hole, bevel heavy plate and so on.

If I use an electric compressor hooked up to the welder, it severely limits me amperage wise, to use the carbon arc torch. That's unacceptable. So it appears that a gas powered compressor is the way I have to go.

Here's the dilemma. I need 60 gallons of compressed air, and a compressor that puts out 8CFM @ 40 PSI.

Experience shows me that I can live with 30 gallons on a compressor that maxes out at 175 PSI, providing that the CFM is up to snuff.

The wheelbarrow styles put out enough CFM, but don't have enough capacity. Adding storage tank(s) looks tacky, plus I don't have a lot of room.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.....
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:05 PM

Allen,
The last service truck that I put together I used a Champion compressor with a 13 HP Kohler motor, 30 gal tank. I paid a little over $2000 for it.-

http://www.industrialaircompressors.biz/page/958176

It was recommended to me by a company that I highly trust and they used them on all of their service trucks. The compressor worked flawlessly for me (ran the crap out of a 1" impact).

I just spoke to the above company again, and they are now using an import compressor called MI-T-M on their service trucks. It is powered by a Robins/Suburu motor, sells for ~$1900.
http://www.mitm.com/series_details.a...oductLine_Id=2

Whichever way you go, make sure to order the flex pad feet kit.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Pascoe View Post

Whichever way you go, make sure to order the flex pad feet kit.
Why?
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:46 PM

Mine didnt come with the vibration isolating pads so it delayed my install. I don't think you would want to hard mount the compressor to your trailer without them.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Pascoe View Post
Mine didnt come with the vibration isolating pads so it delayed my install. I don't think you would want to hard mount the compressor to your trailer without them.
Is it detrimental to the compressor?
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?