Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Overlanders Unlimited

Overlanders Unlimited This is a forum to discuss expedition vehicles and trailer options, a place to talk about builds, modifications, and designs, as well as past and future adventure trips.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 02:36 PM

M100 trailer almost done

http://tumblwd.smugmug.com/gallery/7...86761317_pK7ns
Old 03-07-2009, 03:46 PM

Almost done????

What more do you plan on doing with it?

I have one of those also...haven't decided what I want to do with it yet...

Such a shame that it has to be towed behind a Toy.

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 AM

Good looking trailer. I have a client that wants a lid for theirs and I plan on building him one very similar to yours...he wants it to be strong enough to sleep on also.

any thoughts?

visit my forum: all rigs, expedition type travel in the SW and beyond, all are welcome, no cost just friendship...

www.savagesun4x4expeditions.com
Old 03-09-2009, 04:01 PM

I used 1" square tubing, believe it was .085 ish. The skin is 16 gauge. The upper rack is 3/4"tubing and sets on a 1/4"x1" flatbar rim. I can stand anywhere I want to on the lid, but try to get over a cross support. Sitting or laying is no problem.
The lid with rack is fairly heavy. You can lift it without the gas struts, but it is a handful. Got the struts from Mcmaster Carr, around $25 each. I would suggest making your own mounts for the struts with multiple holes for placing.
And thicker than the tinfoil ones they provide. A piece of 1/8" angle would be fine. I could not place the struts where I wanted to because of my tailgate opening. I used the 150# struts, and they are a bear to get into place; at least by myself. Multiple mounting holes would give you some fudging room and adjustment for lift pressure.
My struts make opening the lid a one hand deal, but will not hold it open on their own. They are strong enough, just can't get the angle needed.
One thing I found that works well so far is the stick on hockey puck led lights from Harbor Freight. Got a 3 pack for about $15. Really helps when trying to find something in the dark, they also can be tilted a bit for direction.
Many folks use a full length piano hinge on the lids. I used one on a prior trailer and it twisted and tweaked until it got hard to open. Thus the butt hinges. I do believe that a cam lock type latch would work better than the hasps I have, easier to compress the lid onto the weatherstripping. I used camper shell type weatherstripping, the stick on kind. I have a hard time keeping it in place. Might have to use some 3M weatherstripping (yellow death) glue on it. The one that will be the death of you to get it off.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Tumble, thank you very much for your tips...here is one I did for a client using his plans and steel, NOT the way I would have done it, I lean toward your style.

http://www.savagesun4x4.com/enter/m1...ler_part_.html

visit my forum: all rigs, expedition type travel in the SW and beyond, all are welcome, no cost just friendship...

Old 03-09-2009, 08:21 PM

Don, that is so hard to type as my name is Don-also.
Here are some other pics of the trailer throughout some mods.
I especially like the spare tire winch mount from a Dodge ram truck.
http://www.tumblwd.smugmug.com/galle...98794705_jaFb4

Wish I had know where you were at xmas time. I spent a boring week with my wifes niece's family in Phoenix. Really needed something to do and did not know where to start.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
Don, that is so hard to type as my name is Don-also.
Here are some other pics of the trailer throughout some mods.
I especially like the spare tire winch mount from a Dodge ram truck.
http://www.tumblwd.smugmug.com/galle...98794705_jaFb4

Wish I had know where you were at xmas time. I spent a boring week with my wifes niece's family in Phoenix. Really needed something to do and did not know where to start.
Tumble, sign up on my forum and keep and eye on our travels, you might want to join in on a trip sometime. We have Death Valley April 25, June is Bear Lake in Ca and then July is the Rubicon trail. We have something going on all year and are planning on '10 already.

We welcome all folks and all rigs and its free, as it should be.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
Tumble, sign up on my forum and keep and eye on our travels, you might want to join in on a trip sometime. We have Death Valley April 25, June is Bear Lake in Ca and then July is the Rubicon trail. We have something going on all year and are planning on '10 already.

We welcome all folks and all rigs and its free, as it should be.
Hey If you guys are coming to Big Bear in June look me up if you need a guide or just want to run some trails! I'm here year round!
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 03-18-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
Hey If you guys are coming to Big Bear in June look me up if you need a guide or just want to run some trails! I'm here year round!
Quinn, Thanks, I also welcome you to join up and I know you would be welcome for this.

I cannot this run myself due to being OVER obligated on runs tween now and the Rubicon run in July. That and closing on our new home on 14 May along with some MAJOR work on my 2 Jeeps will have all of them on jack stands. But I suspect we will do Bear Lake again next year and I do not plan on missing it twice...