Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-02-2003, 08:11 AM

Re: I started Atkin's on Sunday too!

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepKat
It?s Black coffee for me and not too much of that.

Kat
Small Killer Dana with no sugars, right?

Old 10-02-2003, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wind_Danzer

I just looked at a can of Pepsi. Total carbs are 41g's... considering I would drink 2 of these at work and at least two after I got home... I was over 150 carbs right there, before food.

Four cans of soda a day equals about 2.5 lbs. of sugar a week.

Switch to diet and you should loose 10 lbs. a month everything else being equal.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:04 AM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders Karlsson
Four cans of soda a day equals about 2.5 lbs. of sugar a week.

Switch to diet and you should loose 10 lbs. a month everything else being equal.
Can't do the popular diet soda, HATE the taste and I just can't get aquired to it. Diet Rite is caffinee free and sugar free sweetened with Splenda. Splenda is some nice stuff and I can tolerate the taste. Right now I'm just chugging water like it is going out of style. I've been doing between 10 and 12 8oz glasses a day.

Was told yesterday that I am looking a lot better too.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Can't do the popular diet soda, HATE the taste and I just can't get aquired to it.
I thought the same thing for a loooooooooooong time.
I'm a reformed Mountain Dew junkie......
Switched to Coke Classic to reduce sugar.....and lived on it for a few years....
now down to 2 diet cokes a day.

I can not drink regular pop now. It's like drinking sugar syrup.

Still drink a pot of coffee in the AM though.

yum
Old 10-03-2003, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Can't do the popular diet soda, HATE the taste and I just can't get aquired to it. Diet Rite is caffinee free and sugar free sweetened with Splenda. Splenda is some nice stuff and I can tolerate the taste. Right now I'm just chugging water like it is going out of style. I've been doing between 10 and 12 8oz glasses a day.

Was told yesterday that I am looking a lot better too.
Why drink soda at all?

Simply, don't drink it. Water: calorie free, sugar free....

Part of the problem in regular soda is High Fructose Corn Syrup. That stuff is problematic on many levels.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:07 AM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Quote:
Originally posted by William
Why drink soda at all?

Simply, don't drink it. Water: calorie free, sugar free....

Part of the problem in regular soda is High Fructose Corn Syrup. That stuff is problematic on many levels.
Yep, that's why I don't drink it now. I do like to have a taste to my water other then lemon though. We'll see how I feel when the time comes.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Yep, that's why I don't drink it now. I do like to have a taste to my water other then lemon though. We'll see how I feel when the time comes.
You could try sparkling water....

Course then we'd call you a yuppy! :P
Old 10-03-2003, 12:12 PM
Arizona Chick

Sparkling water = Mineral water?????

If so, I have done the mineral water before. It's not to bad.

EDIT: Ran into an ex-friends mother today at work. she was looking so much better then the last tiem I saw her. Come to find out she is doing Atkins and has lost 100 pounds since April and still going strong, she's actually less then me now. But she got her whole family (minus the ex-friend) and they have all lost weigth and her husband and youngest is right near goal.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:15 PM

Talking Update, one year later....

I'm happy to report that the Atkins life style is a success!. I've been following it faithfully for over a year now. I used to be a size 16 and now I'm a size 6 (-42 lbs)

I did manage to eat a piece of pumpkin pie (although I couldn't see the pie from all of the whipped topping) at Thanksgiving without any ill effects, thank you Ron!

I can't say that everyday has been easy, it hasn't. There are days when it takes me twice as long to shop for food because I read the labels on all of the stuff that I used to like to eat.

I'm a big eater, I like to eats lots of food and Atkins allows me to do just that if I feel like it without gaining any weight.

I feel like myself again. I weigh a couple of pounds more than when I got married almost 15 years ago, but I'm smaller in size.

I believe that there's a perfect diet for everyone and I finally found the one for me!

A big thanks to Jamie for inspiring me!

Kat
Old 12-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Arizona Chick

Awesome job Kat!!!! I'm so happy to hear you have done so well on it.

Did you end up exercizing much with it or has it been a steady drop just by eating better?

What net carbs are you at now? I'm assuming near 100 a day.

I personally slacked off once I got this new job. Finding decent food while on the road has been tough but I have gotten back into it. I also recently went out and bought 100lbs of weight and a body ball so I can start lifting again.

I still have at least 3 sizes I want to drop yet.

Again, congrats!!! Very well done!!
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
Congrats to both of you!

Chris (Dukes69) and I were on it faithfully for about a year...he lost about 80lbs and I lost 50.

Its getting more and more difficult to remain on it. But it is nice to know that we now have a tool to lose weight that we both know works. And its way better doing it together.

The only thing I remember that was difficult was induction...staying under 20g a day is really hard in the beginning, but totally necessary, as it brings your body into ketosis.

When we started, there were NO low carb anything...and when you did happen to find something, it tasted TERRIBLE! Its totally amazing what you can buy now that is low carb/carb free. I even have a local bakery down the street from me that bakes ultra low carb bread everyday. Each slice is around 3-4g depending on which type you buy. ( Dakota, sour dough, cinnamon swirl, garlic...you name it.) The low carb Russel Stover candies for the occasional snaking are delish! Low carb tortillas are pretty good too. Breyers Low Carb Icecream is a real treat!

Heres to everyones continued success!

Tam
Old 12-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Congrats Kathryn. Your hard work has definitely paid off. I'm very happy for you.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:20 PM

What's Atkins?? Some sort of low-carb diet??

Congrats everybody!
Old 12-02-2004, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Awesome job Kat!!!! I'm so happy to hear you have done so well on it.

Did you end up exercizing much with it or has it been a steady drop just by eating better?

What net carbs are you at now? I'm assuming near 100 a day.

I personally slacked off once I got this new job. Finding decent food while on the road has been tough but I have gotten back into it. I also recently went out and bought 100lbs of weight and a body ball so I can start lifting again.

I still have at least 3 sizes I want to drop yet.

Again, congrats!!! Very well done!!
Thank you Jamie!

And congratulations to you too! I only exercise at Johnson Valley. My Carb intake is limited to 20 - 30 a day. Any more than that and I gain weight. I've eaten as many as 40 in a day, but only while camping. I have about 4 - 5 carbs for breakfast, between 10 - 14 for lunch and the rest for dinner or I have less for lunch and more for dinner. I get plenty to eat and I'm happy.

Thanks again, Kat
Old 12-02-2004, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepGal
Congrats to both of you!

Chris (Dukes69) and I were on it faithfully for about a year...he lost about 80lbs and I lost 50.

Its getting more and more difficult to remain on it. But it is nice to know that we now have a tool to lose weight that we both know works. And its way better doing it together.

The only thing I remember that was difficult was induction...staying under 20g a day is really hard in the beginning, but totally necessary, as it brings your body into ketosis.

When we started, there were NO low carb anything...and when you did happen to find something, it tasted TERRIBLE! Its totally amazing what you can buy now that is low carb/carb free. I even have a local bakery down the street from me that bakes ultra low carb bread everyday. Each slice is around 3-4g depending on which type you buy. ( Dakota, sour dough, cinnamon swirl, garlic...you name it.) The low carb Russel Stover candies for the occasional snaking are delish! Low carb tortillas are pretty good too. Breyers Low Carb Icecream is a real treat!

Heres to everyones continued success!

Tam
Go Tam and Chris! I agree with the Breyers Low Carb IceCream, I love the stuff. The new low carb flour tortillas are great for breakfast stuffed with eggs, ham and cheese. Yum...

Kat
Old 12-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jays89YJ
Re: Well I started the Atkins diet

Quote:
Or a modified version of it. The book states 20g's of carbs a day for the first two weeks, but for someone that eats over 150-200g's of carbs a day, I figured that would be a stretch.

I'm going to try to keep it between 30 and 40 (though yesterday I only had a little over 20). I need to watch the sugar though, that could be the killer.

I cut out all soda. Talk about a headache for the weekend. Stopped drinking Pepsi Friday night and it finally is out of my system for the most part this morning. Only a dull ache now. I'm drinking lots of water and Fruit 2O with Splenda in it. I have found some Diet Rite that si caffine free and has splenda so I may try that too.

I'm looking forward to seeing how I do with this. Of course today, I'm the frggen Nurse so I didn't get a chance to walk like I was planning too.

Wish me luck.
I know quite a bit about dieting/fitness/health. Are you looking to drop weight? Tone up? Raise your metabolism?

Really the first thing you have to do is eat 6 times a day. It sounds ridiculous, but eat in between regular meals. Yoghurt should be your new best friend.
Eat breakfast.
1.5 to 2 hours before lunch, eat a lowfat or nofat yoghurt.
Eat lunch.
1.5 to 2 hours before dinner, eat a lowfat or nofat yoghurt.
Eat dinner.
Later on in the evening, eat a lowfat or nonfat yoghurt.

Yoghurt will be filling and keep something in your stomach. If you start to do this, you'll notice yourself eating less and less during your regular meals. Plus by doing this, your body is always receiving "fuel" but not a lot of fat.

Stay away from simple sugars. Jellies, Jams, Juices are your enemies.

Eat legumes. Legumes provide the body with nourishing proteins. Baked beans are BAD because of the sugars. If you eat a salad, toss in some kidney beans.

Eat green vegetables.
Eat plenty of fruits. Fruits will help you keep your fiber up and your GOOD Complex Sugars up. Obviously eating bran cereal isn't very fun and actually packs in some carbs. By eating fruits, you'll be able to avoid the carbs.

Eat Raw Almonds. These are very important. They provide the body with protein. Eating a handful or 2 of almonds as an in between meal snack is perfectly fine. You can buy sliced almonds and toss them in your lowfat or nonfat yoghurt. Almonds actually make you feel full. They have a natural reaction with your body and burn fat.

100% Natural Peanut Butter is good as well. Don't buy Skippy.

Do not buy crappy bread. Wonderbread is bad. Only buy FULL GRAIN bread. You need the full grains to complete a protein and to avoid only a partial protein that will just lurk inside your body.

EXERCISE. Go walking, jogging, lift light weights, jazzercise, areobics, etc. Take part in a fat burning exercise. Don't go running 5 miles in a day.

Sorry about the long post, but this is just a start of what you should do to make your body healthy. By doing so you'll feel a lot better and you'll actually think quicker. Your metabolism will rise quite a bit. It really doesn't take long...

The Atkin's Diet is sort of in the right direction. You really need to start thinking healthy, healthy, healthy, move, move, move. I know a LOT more so if you need some other things feel free to ask.

I'm not in a health profession. My really good friend is a food science engineer. He's a freak about this stuff and actually a certified dietician. He directs classes and gives lectures in NH at most gyms, specifically for women. I'm on a slightly different program... Weight Gaining. So I'm sure you don't need to know anything about that.

-Jason

PS. Careful with the next to zero carbs diets. Carbs provide essential nutrients that ALLOW YOU TO KEEP YOUR HAIR ON YOUR HEAD!