Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Reggae

Shipping Large Objects

Has anyone shipped full steel doors with rollup windows?

How much does the UPS Store or Kinkos charge to professionally package them?

Also what is the exact weight of a TJ full door?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:47 PM
AA reject

Sergey it would be damn expensive using those shipping methods. Try www.forwardair.com. I shipped a dana 44 rearend to Ron in texas for like $60 bucks. You do have to package/crate your own stuff and drop it off at one of their shipping hubs, but the price is worth it.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Reggae

Will you build me an appropriate pallet for the doors, and rent me a forklift?

Are you sure it will be less expensive than just letting a shipping store do it for me?

I need professional packaging because how else can I prove to the insurer that my packaging was adequate in case the doors get damaged?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Reggae

Also out of thousands of trucking companies out there, what makes all of you always suggest Forwardair? What, they have a special jeep discount or something?

Old 11-30-2004, 07:07 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

i shipped full tj doors before. i made boxes for them out of plywood. it was difficult to keep the boxes under the size limits for the courier. i got it done though. it was a lot of work, and the buyer was willing to pay me an extra hundred bucks to do the job.
if you can find someone to package them for you professionally, and ship them... i'd do it. it is a real pain in the ass to get them packaged within the guidelines, and have the doors be protected.
freight is probably the best way to get it done. i also heard that greyhound does oversize shipping.
good luck!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 11-30-2004, 07:17 PM
AA reject

I can build you the appropriate shipping box. I have always used forward air. I will bet good money that they would be less than half of what the others would charge you. I have shipped 2 t-cases, one tranny, two bumpers, a rearend, and several other large items via forward air. They just want the items in a square box that has forklift access. I usually start with a pallet and then build around it making sure the cargo is very secure.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:58 PM

I shipped my full steel doors via air cargo using the commercial airlines. Just went to the closest airport that flew to where the doors needed to go.

They couldn't be boxed and still make UPS' size limit. I tried.

Anyway, I made boxes out of bicycle boxes, and doubled them up.

They went from Chicago to Rochester and the guy had them in less than 12 hours. Cost him right at $100 for shipping.

They arrived in great condition and without damage.

The airlines takes the boxes and places them in cargo containers. In my case, the doors fit the container perfectly, and they were shipped flat, by themselves, in their own container. I watched the airline guys load them up.

Only catch is you gotta show up with the box open on one end. They've gotta inspect it and make sure it's not explosives.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:18 PM

Sergey,

I have a 50,000 square foot warehouse.

I have forklifts.

I have pallets.

I have a hammer and nails.

I'm in Chino which isn't that far up the 15 from you.

I can get your doors shipped by any carrier you want (and probably get them hauled to the airport for forward air.)

Jeff
Old 11-30-2004, 09:24 PM

Sergey, I've seen www.forwardair.com recommended so many times over the years whenever something big or heavy comes up that needs to be shipped that I'd use them. At least I've never seen anyone reply back and say not to use them, which usually happens after just about any recommendation on the Internet. They must be pretty good at what they do.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:48 PM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Sergey, I've seen www.forwardair.com recommended so many times over the years whenever something big or heavy comes up that needs to be shipped that I'd use them. At least I've never seen anyone reply back and say not to use them, which usually happens after just about any recommendation on the Internet. They must be pretty good at what they do.
But.....but....so many people with HF winches like them.....

Does that mean you want one of them? :P
Old 12-01-2004, 08:38 AM

Bahhahahahaa on the Harbor Freight Shipping Company

Jeff, when did you move your shop to Chino and why haven't you hit me up for a coldie?

Sergey, why don't you simply sell the doors locally? I would find it amazing that in the entire So Cal area, there isn't someone who will buy those doors.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

If you cut the doors in half, I'll consider the lower half. Been kicking around the idea of half doors. (I'll only pay 1/2 price though.)
Old 12-01-2004, 08:06 PM

Hey Sergey, why not try and sell them first and then worry about shipping?
Like I told you last week I sold mine on Ebay and the guy actually picked them up himself ....... so there was no need to worry for me to package them and send them and so on .....

A little bit the reversed idea, but you get it
And getting some extra money for them by putting them on Ebay would've also been worth a little more hassle in case I would've had to ship them.

And like Chris said - >forwardair.com works great His crated Dana44 just barely fit in my 'back then' lease Montero Sport though
Old 12-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Reggae

I will never use forward air, just because everybody else uses forward air and can't explain why they are better.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
I will never use forward air, just because everybody else uses forward air and can't explain why they are better.
It's a cost to delivery time thing. Pay less then slow truck shipping, and it gets there sooner.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Better is relative. They are only useful if you need to ship a large object on a pallet, cheaply, timely, and have access to an airport. Other than that, they are pretty useless. I found that out the hard way when the postcard I stapled down got dislodged and I paid to have a bare pallet shipped.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Reggae

Cool

There are 14 trucking companies in my zip code alone. Why shouldn't I use one of them, if I wanted to use a trucking company? What makes FORWARDAIR better than let's say USF BESTWAY?
Old 12-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Reggae

Reading on their web site, Forwardair doesn't even market their services directly to shippers. It's main bread and butter is differed air freight. Which is consolidation and transportation between airports of loads on trucks instead of planes.

I have to determine that all of you Forwardair fans are ether crazy or stockholders.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by John
It's a cost to delivery time thing. Pay less then slow truck shipping, and it gets there sooner.
How so? They've got bigger engines in their trucks?
Old 12-02-2004, 10:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to chef
Quote:
There are 14 trucking companies in my zip code alone. Why shouldn't I use one of them, if I wanted to use a trucking company? What makes FORWARDAIR better than let's say USF BESTWAY?
they're just widely used and recommended in the 4x4 community. no negative experiences posted really. my buddy had his axles shipped to him that way. no problems. they showed up in about a week i think, he picked them up at the hub at the airport. shipping with them is relatively cheap too. i've been looking at some 50cc dirt bikes, and to ship one across country one guy quoted me like $40 through forward air.

the only reason you shouldn't use onee of the other 14 companies in your zip code is that you haven't called them to find out what they need and what it'll cost. all it will really come down to is really who's got a hub in the area you want to ship them to.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Reggae

Thumbs down

Furthermore. I just called the San Diego Forwardair office to inquire about their services. They told me to call a different number. And that number is disconnected.

The extra funy thing, is that the number they gave me used to be for Danis Trucking.

They probably just unload small customers to some local trucking company to deal with.

Finita la comedia.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:50 AM

Ah just slap a bunch of postal stamps on it. I'm not sure how you're going to fold the doors to get them to fit in the blue postal mail box though.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikebeach
Ive used Greyhound bus lines before, I shipped a soft top all the way to NY for a little under 40$. HTH
Mike
Old 12-02-2004, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Having delt with commercial trucking lines for the better part of two years I wouldn't ship anything that I truely cared about on a LTL line (save maybe a couple and USF Bestway ain't one of them).

Just my opinion. I see how they handle the freight and how many drugs their drivers take...

Where are you shipping it?

Jeff
Old 12-02-2004, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikebeach
Ive used Greyhound bus lines before, I shipped a soft top all the way to NY for a little under 40$. HTH
Mike
That's actually a very good suggestion I had forgotten all about. I used Greyhound years ago for some large objects and the rates were cheap.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:03 AM
Reggae

I don't give a rat's ass about rates. I just need it to be convenient for me, and I need a dollar amount to put on the auction for those who want the doors shipped.

Will Greyhound package the doors for me? If not they are out. I'll call them today to ask.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Will Greyhound package the doors for me? If not they are out. I'll call them today to ask.
Not that I'm aware of. I had a large drum shipped to me via Greyhound. Essentially they throw it under the bus (literally) in the unused cargo area.

Jeff
Old 12-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Reggae

Quote:
I don't give a rat's ass about rates.... I need a dollar amount...
Ha Ha Ha. My posts amuse even I.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:41 PM
AA reject

Quote:
I don't give a rat's ass about rates.
Why didnt you say so before? The only reason I suggested forward air was for cheaper rates. Just give me $500 dollers, and I will make sure that the doors arrive in a timely matter and un damaged.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris L
Why didnt you say so before? The only reason I suggested forward air was for cheaper rates. Just give me $500 dollers, and I will make sure that the doors arrive in a timely matter and un damaged.
Deal.