Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-05-2004, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
Would you be more inclined to donate....

Seems that the main time anybody does anything charitable is around the holidays. Unfortunately, the people these events benefit have rough times the entire year. Had wanted to work something out to raise more money this season, but ran out of time and wasn't able to put it together.

I'd really like to do something towards the summer, which would give me plenty of time to organize it. I'm thinking an unofficial gathering of anyone who is interested at some large wheeling location in socal, turn it into a camping weekend, and collect canned/dry goods/clothing to donate to a shelter. I'd have to decide on a location, time of year, potential liabilities, and then research any potential permit issues depending on where it's held.

so, the long winded question is, would you feel better donating an actual item, or money (if a partnership was worked out with a grocery store, warehouse store, something along those lines, to match donations or give a discount)?
Old 12-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Re: Would you be more inclined to donate....

Quote:
Originally posted by chef
Seems that the main time anybody does anything charitable is around the holidays. Unfortunately, the people these events benefit have rough times the entire year. Had wanted to work something out to raise more money this season, but ran out of time and wasn't able to put it together.

I'd really like to do something towards the summer, which would give me plenty of time to organize it. I'm thinking an unofficial gathering of anyone who is interested at some large wheeling location in socal, turn it into a camping weekend, and collect canned/dry goods/clothing to donate to a shelter. I'd have to decide on a location, time of year, potential liabilities, and then research any potential permit issues depending on where it's held.

so, the long winded question is, would you feel better donating an actual item, or money (if a partnership was worked out with a grocery store, warehouse store, something along those lines, to match donations or give a discount)?
I have no idea why, but homeless folks tug at a particular heartstring within me. I'm in, not really looking to discuss the pitfalls of donating, good or bad. Just set it up, I'll match whatever is deemed good and you may want to consider the summer time temps for most of the good wheeling spots.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:51 PM

summertime temps are definitely one of the issues i will be considering....just that there's christmas in the winter, easter in april, and nothing towards the middle of the year..even september is pushing it close to thanksgiving, i want to try to fill a void...i'll ponder it and willing to take suggestions.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
summertime temps are definitely one of the issues i will be considering....just that there's christmas in the winter, easter in april, and nothing towards the middle of the year..even september is pushing it close to thanksgiving, i want to try to fill a void...i'll ponder it and willing to take suggestions.
September in Big Bear would be delightful.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:25 PM

big bear was a thought, but i think i'll need to find a private party location i think. i'll probably contact ranger greg tomorrow and see what he has to say. i have no clue how big this will get, but i don't want it to get too out of hand the first year. this is definitely something i'd like to do at least a couple times. just went out, and i've got a ton of ideas i need to type out so i don't forget them luckily i come from a long line of awesome fundraisers. how is JV in May? CB would be nice, what with all the space and varied terrain. Big Bear really would be nice though.

in other news, after a ton of toys and buying some raffle tickets at the toys for tots thing today, i won a direct tv setup with 3 receivers/tivo and a satellite and install and service for a year
Old 12-05-2004, 10:55 PM

come on guys, you're viewing. give me some feedback. am i gonna waste my time trying to put something together? you think you would possibly show up? what would you feel more comfortable donating/

also thinking of inviting corva/brc out with a jar to accept donations/memberships
Old 12-05-2004, 11:30 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I'm not the best with ideas, but you can count on my donation.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:48 PM

Big bear is really nice pretty much from late March to September.

There are plenty of trails that, while easy for most on this board, would make a great backboard for a "social" event where everyone is coming to basically meet and greet and take it easy.

As for donations. I would think that food/items should go towards a shelter or the homeless whereas if a collection was going to be taken up maybe that should go towards a land use organization.

Or maybe both? Guess it depends on how many people are going to be coming and how generous everyone feels.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:07 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
I've never been great on planning. If you get something going, you can plan on a donation and most likely my presence.

Brian.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
come on guys, you're viewing. give me some feedback. am i gonna waste my time trying to put something together? you think you would possibly show up? what would you feel more comfortable donating/

also thinking of inviting corva/brc out with a jar to accept donations/memberships
I suck at figuring this stuff out. I will participate, I will donate, and I will urge others to do the same.

I guess you need to figure out if you want to do a "toys for Tots type thing, or cash, or something else.

How about "Homes for the Homeless"? You grab a busload of the abode challenged, and send one of them home with every participant for a week.

Not really, but I remember now what appealed to me about this.

On the news the other evening, there was a story about a tent city in a riverbed and a fairly large group of folks who appeared to be surviving just fine. The city of course stepped in, kicked down their little shelters, packed up their crap and relocated them to the Armory or similar. It didn't seem fair somehow as the homeless had to be out of the shelter by daylight.

I thought it would be nice for them to relocate them to a tent city somewhere, have the city donate some porta-pottis and maybe a shower or two.

Don't know how to pull it off, but the homeless the news interviewed across the board just wanted a place to call their own, no matter how small.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:27 AM

I'd be happy to donate some clothing, dry goods, toys & a few bucks towards whichever direction things go item wise.

I'll keep my ear to the wall as updates occur.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:07 AM

I'll donate - I've never minded a good cause. I always think food is a good way to go too - nobody in this country should ever go hungry.

Just a few words of advice though - if you plan on making it a formal event of more than just a small group of of us from here on the board, you will get into permit and insurance issues.

As a suggestion, we might think about wrapping it into a trail clean-up up in Big Bear as we do have an adopt a trail up there. My caution is on blanket invitations without formalized rules. The last clean-up had a number of participants who were more interested in getting away from their wives so they could drink with cleaning up and communing with friends as a lesser objective. I was more than a little irritated to say the least and we had some problems with the camp host because of those fawkers. I am happy to help you plan and happy to participate but I don't ever want to be associated with that kind of nonsense again for something related to a charitable cause.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:43 AM
AA reject

You can count me in also.

If the trail thing does not work out, there is a new 50's style hot rod cruzing diner that just opened in the south bay. They have a large restuarant at one end of the lot and a large drive through, car hop facility area that can be rented out for a bunch of jeep parking and socializing at the other end of the lot. I am guessing you would not need to worry about pernits and all that. If you want, I can run by and snap a picture. The place is called Ricky and Ronnies, and is located on the corner of sepulveda and normandie. Might be able to do something like a toy drive and food for the homeless thing. Probably get more people involved if it's at a drive through facility. Just a thought.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:49 AM
AA reject

It seems some other clubs use this facility for the same thing. Here is one from the VWdub club:

December 19, 2004 - Southbay/Midcities Dub Club Toy Drive
Ricky and Ronnie's Diner , Torrance, California
December 19, 2004 at 1200-????
Toy Drive for local Toys for Tots charity
at Ricky and Ronnie's Diner

We will be holding a toy drive for the local toys for tots charity. This is your way to put a smile on a kids face on Christmas and give back to your community and hang out with fellow VW enthusiast. The diner is pretty sweet with a huge parking lot and some pretty good food. Its about a mile from the 110 fwy in torrance. Open to all aircooled vw's, bring you dub out and hang out some info below

If you're interested in the restoration, preservation, customization, modification, conversation, or all things aircooled we are the club for you. We are an air-cooled only club all years and all types. From show cars to beaters bring your ride out
Located at 1301 W. Sepulveda ave, Torrance Ca 90501 At the corner or Sepulveda and Normandie, ? Mile west of 110 fwy. If you have any questions or want additional info pm me or call 1-562-787-2896 Southbay Dub Club
Old 12-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Reggae

You never know how things will turn, but I think it is safe to say that you can count on me being on ether giving or receiving end of the event.

I'd say go ahead with blanket invitations, but do not make a run or cleanup event out of this. If selected groups want to run trails during the event, they can do it by themselves.

There is no reason to do this without blanket invitations: by ourselves we can donate without any extra events.

Got to find out about all the required permits, or just as you said, get collaboration going with some private place.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:25 AM

I'd agree with robert on this. A blanket invitation would be fine so long as the people coming know that they are going to have to behave.

I was there for part of the time after the actual trail clean up occurred and the little bit I saw was already starting to look fairly ugly. It wasn't hard to imagine how it got at night.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:26 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

i'd be willing to make a donation as well. clothes, some canned food, and maybe a few bucks as well. we as a company do already make a sizable donation to the LA mission each year. in fact we even built a dental office in there. this is one that feeds tens of thousands, and houses thousands each year as well

http://www.losangelesmission.org/
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 12-06-2004, 11:29 AM

You're all on pretty much the same idea path as myself. I only want the invite to extend as far as the collection ceremony itself, but to leave it open to the masses if they want to camp and wheel on their own. As Sergey said I don't want to turn it into a trail cleanup or a run, as that is wayy too much for me to organize. Still need to talk to Greg, but I might see if we can do the ceremony at the Ranger Station or some gathering area controlled by them, and then everyone can reserve spaces at Hannah Flats or something. I really like the idea of the restraunt Chris. It would be great for a trial run in February or something. I'd be able to get a feel for how people act in large groups. My hope is to draw much of the same crowd that I was a part of yesterday. They were well behaved and knew it was for a good cause, but of course it was a half day event and not a camping trip. I'm going to WC4WD's meeting tomorrow night and aim to talk to some of the organizers.

The mission idea is awesome, the LA Mission or the OC Mission I think are going to be prime targets for beneficiaries. A coworker has worked with the OC Mission and can put me in touch with the head of the organization. In that case I'd be able to find out what they really need. If anyone knows of a group that can help with the tent city aspect, please pass along some information so I can research it.

I'm glad to see there is interest in this, and like I said I'll be talking to some people this week and hopefully will begin to get some details. I will probably put together something at the restraunt Chris mentioned or something similar to get a feel for issues that will need to be addressed when it happens on a larger scale. I can get some shirts to raffle off and maybe pay for a magazine subscription or two to help draw a few more people to the smaller event and try to set the mood for the next one.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, if you've got more by all means keep them coming!
Old 12-06-2004, 04:00 PM

Cool

There are many ways to attack this worthy mission. Donations of money, food and clothing can be made at many levels from the Salvation Army to St Vincent dePaul, to the many Rescue Missions in the SoCal area. It is quick and painless. There other similar endeavors that require personal contact with the homeless and do not require that you give anything but your time. For instance, several times a year I feed the homeless at St Vincent de Paul (aka Father Joe) with fellow employees of the company that I work for. We prepare food that has been donated and feed about 200 to 300 homeless folks, mostly families. OR, in April we participate in Chrismas in April, now known as Working Together. The name was changed because the PC folks didn't like the reference to Christmas. Anyway, this is a big effort around the country. Groups of all kinds donate time to repair the homes of the very poor, usually elderly on fixed incomes. This usually takes two days of effort for 50 workers per house. We repair anything broken from plumbing to electrical to new roofs. We also scrape and paint both the inside and outside of the house. If the stove or the refer is broken, we replace it. We also clean up the yard which is usually the most manpower intensive task. We usually fill up two to three 40' dumpsters. All building materials are provided by Home Depot. I am sure we could piggyback on an other group's house who find themselves short of helpers. In any case, there are lots of community activities in which we could participate.

However, if we intend to go to Big Bear I would think we might want to provide assistance up there. I am sure BB has its share of homeless and poor families we could help. The city no doubt has a community/family services department. All we need to do is have someone who lives close to BB give them a call and see what procedures we will have to follow.

Just a thought.

Fred
Old 12-06-2004, 06:32 PM

I'm in - this sounds great. I would also applaud the selection of Big Bear - I'd love to bring the boys and that would be a good easy/short trip.

Let me know when and where - I'm in for food donations or whatever.

I would also say that you need to check with the Rangers on what legal procedures we'll need to do to make this on the up and up.

Jeff
Old 12-07-2004, 12:45 PM

Count me in.

Scott
Old 12-08-2004, 10:50 AM

Talked to the folks at West Coast 4WD last night. Got some good tips and info. I think Big Bear will be out. JV or Calico look to be prime spots right now. I think a slight road trip to the diner ChrisL brought up is in order...I'll talk to them and do a test run in February with low key advertising.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:07 AM

Calico is fun and you may have more luck with people showing up cause of the easier trails.

you can do the run no later then May and then it can still be HOT as hell.

I think that is why every one recommended the Mtns for a summer run.

Scott
Old 12-13-2004, 06:11 PM
AA reject

Chef, here are some pics of Ricky and Ronnie's diner.

The building to the far right is the restuarant and the building to the right is the drive through car hop area which I believe can be reserved for events.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:11 PM

that is way cool. thanks a lot man. things are slowing down a little bit at work, i'll try giving them a ring tomorrow.