Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2002, 09:54 PM

U-Joints...is there something stronger than a 297 that will fit in a stock D30?

I've heard some talk about 5-760 joints...are these bigger versions of the 297 joints? Will they fit in a stock D30? Would they be suitable for daily driving as well as trail usage? And lastly, is something bigger than a 297 overkill?

94 ZJ 6.5" lift
Old 03-12-2002, 05:43 AM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z-what?:
I've heard some talk about 5-760 joints...are these bigger versions of the 297 joints? Will they fit in a stock D30? Would they be suitable for daily driving as well as trail usage? And lastly, is something bigger than a 297 overkill?

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bmccrear
[/quote]

Ben-here is a mix of hearsay, fact, and some speculation gleaned from several sources.

Fact-the 5-760-x is a direct replacement for the 297. Here is where it gets fuzzy. Several people have tested them for strength and it seems to be only the same or slightly stronger. The speculation is Spicer is changing manufacturing processes to reduce costs and improve sealing on the joint.

At this point, your u-joint is stronger than the yokes retention ability with stock axles.

With a D-30, it depends how many you are breaking. How many have you broken?

It is impossible to ascertain the value of something until you have paid for it a few times.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:04 AM
Banned

I just had a lengthy discussion about this with a local driveline shop owner a week or two ago. He said the 760 is stronger than the 297, and he said it has a better seal. He didn't say how much stronger the 760 was, but he seemed to think the 760 was a much better "stock" u-joint than the current 297, however it's nothing like some of the aftermarket ones (CTM).

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 03-12-2002, 11:47 AM

I currently have CV-joints in the front. I recently snapped the front right outer shaft and possibly grenaded the CV so I figure that it might be time to upgrade the CV's to U-joints. I know there is more binding in them than the CV's but I know the U-joints are stronger, especially off-road, plus they are easier to replace. I was asking because I wanted to get the strongest and best U-joint application for my rig. I recently got some 35's and I think the added stress on the outer shaft is what cause it to break.

I've thought about getting the Superior Axle axle shafts with U-joints, but I'm new to all this U-joint "stuff" so I really don't know what need and what's overkill.

I do moderate wheeling but the ZJ sees more street than trail for now(mainly rocky, like Tellico). I guess I'm asking what you guys would recommend?

94 ZJ 6.5" lift
Old 03-12-2002, 11:50 AM
Banned

I don't think the Superior stuff is out yet. You're looking for D30 stuff? Seems the Warn hub conversion and CTM u-joints are the strongest thing to do to a D30. Superior, if they had their D30 stuff available would be nice, but I was told it wouldn't be available until the end of this month (March). I was also told in Sept or October that I'd get a set by Christmas, so I wouldn't wait for the Superior stuff. They're unreliable in re when they'll have product (IMHO).

Edit: I realize I didn't really answer your question. I think I'd break something and replace it with better, or go all out and do the Warn/CTM thing right now.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Since you have already broken something, it may be a good time to switch.

We have awesome success with the small hub conversion from Warn and their alloy inners.

35's are no problem with this set-up. I would start looking there and run good Spicer joints until I started breaking them and then consider the CTM's.

It is impossible to ascertain the value of something until you have paid for it a few times.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:48 PM

If money is an issue, you can also swap in a complete set of TJ axles in about an hours time.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/35" MTr's

Old 03-12-2002, 01:20 PM

Guys.
Thanks alot for all your help and expaining some things to me. I had actually been thinking about getting TJ axle shafts with the 297 U-joints(and thanks for mentioning it again Robert) because I can't swing the Warn conversion after just finishing an 8.8 swap this last week.

I called two dealers to get pricing and part numbers for the TJ axles but neither one was much help (said there were about 15 different options and I had no idea which ones were correct). I've been doing a little searching in the archives but have come up empty handed so far. Do any of you guys know off the top of your head the part #s for the TJ axles that will work in a 94 ZJ D-30 or do you have something that will help me narrow my search?

Thanks again in advance

94 ZJ 6.5" lift
Old 03-12-2002, 01:46 PM

Drop Eric M from this board an e-mail. He just did that swap on his 5.9 ZJ. Eric can also hook you up with a parts house that can set you up on a smoking price - dealers will put the wood to you. If I recall correctly, his was shipped with u-joints for somewhere around $250 complete.

FWIW2 with regard to needing part numbers, an acquaintance of a guy who builds my axles just swapped in a complete (unit bearing, inner and outter axles with u-joints) TJ D30 set into a YJ D30 with no problems. I really don't think it matters all that much. There is a little difference in the reveal on the unit bearings from year to year but I do not think its problematic.

Try Eric 14017b3940a3aad3e19de11f65ff2170@orangatango.com

98 TJ Sport

Old 03-12-2002, 02:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to mudpup Send a message via Yahoo to mudpup
WHOA heck on an e-mail address

95 YJ, SOA and axle swap in progress
"When in doubt, gas 'er out"
Old 03-12-2002, 03:13 PM

oopps - cookie blocker in action at work and it won't take the addy. You can search for his name here on teh board and get his e-mail that way

98 TJ Sport
Old 03-18-2002, 06:55 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Drivetraindirect apparently did a stress test on the 5-760 versus the 297-x, and found them to be equal in strength. The TJ shafts are a direct swap for the ZJ shafts. Call Steve at sbdriveline.com for TJ shafts; tell him I sent you, for a good deal.

Some research I've done into the CV versus 297/5-760 joints, has indicated that the CV joint is actually stronger due to contact area. However, the CV joint is limited by it's requiring a grease boot. The strength gain is minimal and mitigated by the need of grease/boot, so the overall winner is the std u-joint. Strength? Buy CTMs or wait for Ox Joints (Superior). Disposable joints, buy either 297s or 760s, whichever you can get the best price on.

ps-
I have a short-side, complete assembly (stub/joint/inner) for sale; unused, new from the factory: $100 + shipping. email me if interested (I can't keep up with all these BBs)

Chris
'95 ForWagZJ
Old 03-21-2002, 02:07 PM

Thanks for all the info guys.

I went ahead and got some TJ 297 U-joints and they worked very well at Tellico this last weekend. Hopefully someday I can perform the Warn upgrade.

94 ZJ 6.5" lift
Old 03-21-2002, 04:06 PM
The king of shotgun debate

If anyone is interested the new Superior Evolution D30 shafts with Ox U-joint will be making their public debut in Moab Easter week.

It is my understanding they will be available in limited numbers by the second week of April.

To the best of my knowledge the pricing has not been set yet. It is also my understanding the target will be reasonable (Whatever that means?).

I don't think this will compete with the CTM u-joints, but for those who need stronger then stock axles and u-joints it might fill the bill.

I'm going to be installing them shortly.

For my type of wheeling I think they will work well for me. I'll let you all know what I think of them.

Frank