Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-19-2001, 03:06 AM

Tire ?s

I thought I'd give everyone a little slice of JU.

I have a friend who has a TJ, and is thinking of buying my used BFG's when I swap them off.

Anyway, is it a bad idea to go to 31's if the TJ has the I-4, 5 speed stick, and 4.10 gears?
I assume no more 5th gear on hills or the freeway?

Will the 31's fit on the stock metal 5 spoke wheels with minimal rubbing?

Every thing else is stock and will stay that way. The person is not interested in offroading but wants larger tires.

Anyway, Sorry for the JU-ness of the question, but I said I'd ask and I can't for the life of me remember if this is an unwise choice for the 4-banger.

Grey 98 ZJ.
Old 08-19-2001, 08:43 AM
Administrator

I think you pretty much nailed it. The rubbing can be fixed with the steering stops. I am fairly certain that the 31 will work on a 7" rim. I don't think that 5th is totally useless.

Don had 30's on his (cutest darn set of MT/R's you have ever seen).

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 08-19-2001, 09:18 AM

I have 31's on my stock wheels, and still can use 5th gear without the 4.10's
Old 08-19-2001, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Amy, do you have the 4cyl or the 6cyl? That might be the difference.

Shalom- I don't think helping someone fit tires is akin to being on JU in the slightest. In fact I think that is probably the first time that question has been asked here. If it were truly like ju, you would be able to find the answer on the first page among 40 others asking the same questions.

Old 08-19-2001, 09:28 AM

I have a 6 cylinder, but with 3.07 gears, wouldn't that be a plus but a minus?

Little 2000 TJ ... itching to grow
Old 08-19-2001, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Don't know if the 3.07's are equivalent to a 4banger with 4.10's or not.

I know that they ought to not be offered in TJ's.

Old 08-19-2001, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I have various bits of TJ information that have stuck in my mind from hanging out with all of you guys. But I just coudln't remember if 31s and the 4 banger were a bad idea.

Anyway, I think I'll just tell her to try it out. If it's really bad, she can swap her stock tires back on.

Thanks for the help.

Shalom

Grey 98 ZJ.
Old 08-19-2001, 10:20 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrblaine:

[/quote]

I believe the word was Adorable
Old 08-19-2001, 10:33 AM
Banned

You've gotten a lot of responses, here's mine. I originally had the 215/75/15 (or whatever they are). I then ran 3.07 gears and 31" tires, with 6-cyl. I didn't need fifth gear around town and at that point didn't notice it too much (although there was a definite difference from one day to the next, small tires to larger, after a month I didn't remember the power loss as significant, if that makes sense). When I did notice the difference was on the freeway. I personally hated the 3.07 gearing and 31" tires. Passing power was crappy at best. Off road I had to use my brakes much more so than I wanted. This was on flat stretches with rocks and off camber stuff. It's hard to be slow enough to feel comfortable with that set up.

Now, how I think this translates to the 4cyl with 4.10s. I think it will be roughly the same on the freeway, and around town, but better off road. Off road you don't need the power of the 6-cyl in a lot of instances and the crawl ratio will be better with your friend's set up (assuming 1st gear is the same or very close) than with the 6-cyl and 3.07. I think it will be doable for a mostly street Jeep that sees occassional freeway miles, and decent off road. If your friend has a commute I think that they'll wish for the 6-cyl, like I did for lower gears

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-19-2001, 10:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrblaine:
Don't know if the 3.07's are equivalent to a 4banger with 4.10's or not.

I know that they ought to not be offered in TJ's.

Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.[/QUOTE

I am in dire need of upgrading from the 3.07's ... I am wanting to do a 3" lift, and go with 33's, but won't do it until I regear. The power loss would be too huge. I don't know where to start. I am thinking 4.10's would be the answer, but I don't know a thing about buying them.

Old 08-19-2001, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Amy- what is your rear axle? If it is the 35, I may know where there is a set of 4:10's.

Old 08-19-2001, 11:06 AM
Banned

Amy, a friend of mine just went with 4.10s with 33s and thinks it's just about perfect. He does a lot of in town driving and some freeway driving. Off road they work very well, and still offer low enough RPMs on the highway that he doesn't feel like he's over-revving his engine to and from the trail.

However, that being said, as soon as he got them installed he started thinking about 35" tires and wishes he went with 4.56 or 4.88 gears. I guess the moral is, where do you want to end up? If it's 3" and 33" then I think 4.10/4.11 is about perfect for most driving. If you think "someday" you'll go taller then I would say 4.56s, or if you use your Jeep mostly for trails or just around town 4.56s.

I've seen Drivetrain Direct ( http://www.drivetraindirect.com )have some decent prices on gears. I got mine through 4Wheel Parts Wholesaler ( http://www.4wheelparts.com )

Hope that helps

Old 08-19-2001, 11:48 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Shalom,

One of the guys I routinely run with on the trail runs a 4 banger TJ (4.10 gears) and recently went to 33" tires. He is not over joyed with the highway performance, but loves the additional clearance on the trail. Prior to this recent switch, he was running 30" or 31" (don't remember which) and claimed his 4 cyl. did just fine with that configuration.

Obviously, everyone's threshold for what works and what does not is different, but I would say your friend should be OK with 31" tires.

http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 08-19-2001, 11:56 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JeepKat:
Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine:

I believe the word was Adorable[/QUOTE]

In all fairness, let's please keep our "Don's" straight (seeing as how we have 3 of them on this board). In my case, I have the set of MANLY 33x12.50 MT/R's.

Don
Old 08-19-2001, 12:24 PM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DC:
Quote:
Originally posted by JeepKat:
Quote:

In all fairness, let's please keep our "Don's" straight (seeing as how we have 3 of them on this board). In my case, I have the set of MANLY 33x12.50 MT/R's.

Don[/QUOTE]

So what does that make mine and Stu's and Sergey's 35's? If 33's are MANLY........?

Old 08-19-2001, 12:50 PM

Shalome,
My old 32's are on a stock 97 4 cyl no lift and never been off road. his only complaint was no fith gear going up hills but he said his milage was better. which I cant believe but he was overall happy.

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 08-19-2001, 03:03 PM

Amy- what is your rear axle? If it is the 35, I may know where there is a set of 4:10's.

Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.[/quote]

mrbaine, it is the 35 .. any help would be appreciated!

Old 08-19-2001, 04:51 PM

You Asked

Quote:
Originally posted by DC:
Quote:
Originally posted by JeepKat:
Quote:

Don
So what does that make mine and Stu's and Sergey's 35's? If 33's are MANLY........?
[/QUOTE]

Needlessly and excessively oversized ?
Old 08-19-2001, 05:05 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

[/quote]

Ummm....can I think on that one and get back to you later?

http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 08-19-2001, 05:27 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stu Olson:
Quote:

Ummm....can I think on that one and get back to you later?
[/QUOTE]

Certainly you can ... just don't come back with anything like, "size matters".
Old 08-19-2001, 06:25 PM

Ace!, thanks for the thoughts. I am certain that 3" and 33's will be it for this Jeep (famous last words?)
No, really, this is a daily driver and that would be the max that I would go on this one.

Old 08-19-2001, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Amy- Tomorrow I will check on the availability of the 4:10 gear sets. They were very low mile takeouts from a friends jeep.

I am near certain that if they exist, they can be had for a song, practically the cost of shipping.

Don't get your hopes up too high. The gear shop may have tossed them. I know they were there not too long ago though.

Old 08-20-2001, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Hello Amy, we have good news for you. The 4:10's were not tossed, and should be arriving via pimpexpress sometime later this week. They are yours for the price of shipping.

Send me an e-mail with your address and I will ship them to you. Reimburse me when you know the amount.

Old 08-20-2001, 07:47 PM
Banned

Wow, that's a great price, anyone know where I can get 4.56s for a D30/D35 combo

Old 08-20-2001, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Ace, I think that you will eventually wind up with the desire to challenge yourself and your rig a little more than the 35 will stand up to.

Dump the thing at the earliest possible moment that circumstances allow.

Old 08-21-2001, 07:20 AM
Banned

Blaine, is this your honest opinion, or are you just saying that? I was going over my finances and plans last night and trying to prioritize. I can't think of anyone that would want my D35 around here, but if I sold it for a reasonable amount I could probably get a D44 with 3.73 that would bolt right in, as I have a drive shaft waiting on measurements before it's built.

I know you had a friend that was going to have one available, but I don't think I'm in a place right now to afford it without some kind of trade, or having someone lined up to buy my D35 (with 3.73 gears and Detroit True Trac limited slip).

My current plan is to buy what I need now to wheel hard and when stuff starts breaking replacing it with better stuff. I've got 3.73 gears now, and that wouldn't be my first choice when running 35s, but I may end up doing that. New R&P installed (front and rear with locker) would be close to what I'd expect to pay for a D44 (well, relatively close) so unless I got the 4.56 for next to nothing I can see it would be better to get the D44, except of course I'd still need to re-gear it and add the locker. Also, the D35 is my Achilles heel any way I look at it. Anything I want to do is currently hampered by the fact I'll likely be breaking rear axle shafts, and anything that goes with it.

[This message was edited by Ace! on August 21, 2001 at 08:53 AM.]
Old 08-21-2001, 09:29 AM
Administrator

I am faily offended that you would think I would jest about something that serious.

If you are going to go bigger at all, dump the 35. Make that your priority.

You know of the 35 problems and even though some can make it live, there is no security there. I personally feel that my 44 is just about as small as I can get away with for what I do.

For every situation, there will always be some dissention to popular average. Take the suture thread. Just because we have a few incindences of it being done, that does not make it the norm. Inversely, just because a few can make the 35 live, the norm is to be wary of their inherent weakness and ability to leave you walking, or at least a burden to your buddies.

Are you will to crack open a diff right now to get yourself off of the trail. Do you even know what a c-clip looks like in real life? Do you have spare axles? Do you carry spare gear oil? Diff sealant? Do you have something to fish out the broken piece with? It's one thing to think you know, but have you ever pulled one of your rear axles in the garage to see just how hard or easy it really is? Could you do it on the trail at a weird angle and no easy way to jack up the rig?

I know exactly what it takes to swap out one of my rear axles. I did it in the garage just to see how hard it was. Now I know.

Old 08-21-2001, 10:01 AM
Banned

I didn't mean to offend you. I asked because typically I hear from you, run it till it breaks, or don't replace things for the sake of replacing it until it breaks. I didn't know if it was somewhat of a "jest" or not, and apologize for offending you. I also was somewhat surprised because last night I was thinking about it very seriously, trying to calculate what it would take (I'm still not sure), and the fact that this morning I saw your post was almost too coincidental.

I carry everything necessary to make a trail repair, except the "hard parts" (I carry gear oil, RTV, etc). I haven't put myself in a position to break the shafts yet, but know I will if I go with 35" tires. At that point I need a new axle, or the "hard parts" on every trip out. I've spent countless hours at a time underneath my Jeep in the driveway with my full service manual opening things and looking at as much as I can without taking too much apart. I've spent hours under my Jeep just looking at stuff for the sake of seeing how things go together. At the point I use a D35 and 35" tires (or 33" for that matter) I will have taken my axle shafts out. At this point I haven't, as the "odds" are still in my favor. I know what a c-clip looks like, and I'm willing and able to make that repair (although not having done it I don't know how long it would take).

Do you have any good leads on anyone that wants a D35 with 3.73 gears and Detroit True Trac limited slip, or wants to make some sort of trade plus cash?

Again, I apologize for offending you. That was not my intention.

Old 08-21-2001, 10:20 AM
Administrator

I truly believe in the run it till it breaks with a couple of exceptions.

The 35 is one of them, but only if you are going to go bigger. In David's case it is very simple and I won't make him go to a 44. I have a complete 35 in my garage that will bolt in and have him back on the road the next day.

That buys him time to deal with different scenarios.

Ron is in the same boat. His 35 is upgraded and although I don't think his parts he bought will break, the housing may cause some grief. See, that's the problem with the 35, there is no rhyme or reason to their failures.

They are just always suspect in their performance. If I had a spare 35 laying around, I might reconsider my advice were I you.

btw- the only way to near guarantee not to break is to carry spares. Never needed any spare I carry with me. Always something else.

Must be why my ARB's are trouble free. I have spares.

Old 08-21-2001, 12:16 PM
Banned

And David enjoys hunting, and is in dire need of a Remington 700 BDL, in .300 Win Mag, right?