Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 11-20-2001, 07:08 AM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William:
Jim,
My current RE bushings have this void. Should I be concerned? Granted I don't wheel as hard or as intense as you, however, can this be a problem?
[/quote]

William,

Don't be concerned, use them until your have to replace them. I personally will not install the bushing with the void any longer.

A word of caution; if you look at them while they are installed on the bracket and they look fine, they might not be. These are how mine looked until I took the arms down to do some service work on the rear axle and found the rubber completely off the center support.

If you feel heavy play or clunk when shifting in high gear, take them down and give a quick look. Use a punch through the center support and move it around, this will help you find any rips on the bushing.

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42
Old 11-21-2001, 07:54 AM

Jim--I read the article and don't believe many of these problems apply to your situation, you guys have orbital joints on one end of your arms that will alleviate 99% of thier gripes. And your MAIN problem is over-rotating the rubber past it's elastic limit, resulting in immediate failure. The lubed poly would allevaite that completely.

2000 TJ 4.0L, A/T, all factory options.
Jeep Rater Score 360
http://www.hellbender.rockcrawler.com/
NRA Lifetime Member

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 11-22-2001, 04:13 AM
Banned

HB,

I don't mind giving them a try if I can actually find someone that makes them. The worst that could happen is the bushing wearing out prematurely.

Skyjacker on some of their lifts had poly bushings. Two of my friends had this kid and they were crushed after a heavy outing. I do have to admit that I will be watching closely if I ever find a poly to use for tension in the arm brackets. I have not been following and don't know if Skyjacker still makes them with these bushings. Thanks.

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42
Old 11-22-2001, 07:28 AM

Jim, hear's a couple of possible sources.

http://www.energysuspension.com/index.html
http://www.suspension.com/jeep.htm

Ron
Old 03-15-2002, 06:33 AM

btt

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 07-25-2002, 11:31 AM

I found some numbers for stock replacement bushings. I think Dan-H posted the Moog PN# K3131 some where.
I used this number to get Napa's part# 267-3409.
This part# will get you two bushings for $13.29. For some reason I got a discount and paid $8.97 a set! I got six sets (12 bushings) for $57.74.
I thought Jim B might like this info as I know he eats them for breakfast.
I'm also having a steel bar (ram?) made to press the buggers out. For the life of me I have never figured out how Jim's set of doohicky's work. My bar will be a bit smaller than the bushing and recessed to accept the rubber part. It should work to press them out and press them in. Tool steel, around $30.
Ron
Old 07-25-2002, 04:39 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Ron,
This is excellent news! Please clarify a few things for me. Is this part number for the larger lower arm bushing or for the small upper arms?

If you have time, please email me a pic of your tool as it might be simpler to use in the event we can not get to a press while traveling. Are you making this tool for the larger or the smaller bushing?

The one I always have problem removing is the front axle small upper arm bushing welded to the tube. I don't wish to remove the whole axle assembly and it would be kind of hard to turn the axle assembly on the press I have a tool with a bolt that helps, but I keep breaking and stripping the bolts. If it works out good for you I'll send you some money.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:41 PM

Jim,
It's the # for the large lower bushing. That's the only one I've had problems with.
The tool I'm making is not a tool. Just a hunk of metal to use on a press to get the large buggers out and in.
So far my axle bushings have given me no problems. You are way ahead of me there! I guess I should start planning though, eh?
Sorry,
Ron
Old 07-26-2002, 05:43 AM
Banned

Damn Ron, I can't believe that you have "never" replace the small upper bushing at the axle. You lucky dog... let's not discuss this upper bushing any more as I don't want to carry this information down your way and ruin your good record
Old 07-26-2002, 02:37 PM

Jim, I just checked them out and they are fine. So are the small ones on the control arms.
The big bushings were not that bad. One was blown out so I replaced them all and took apart and lubed the Johny type joints. They are holding up excellent. I've been going through the Jeep getting it in top shape for COLORADO!
Ron
Old 08-15-2002, 03:39 PM

BTT for William
Old 08-15-2002, 03:52 PM

Talking

Hey Ron,

s Alot!!!

(get it?)
Old 08-21-2002, 05:00 PM

Last night I started replacing my rear lower R/E bushings (vintage april 2001). These had the void and were roasted.

the roasted bushings came out just like butter (NOT). maybe frozen butter sucked through a cocktail straw.

A 20 ton press would not budge them.

I tried the method stu showed on his web page using a gear splitter. no go. Tried several other ways, but eventually gave up and cut out the bushing with a sawzall and then cut the metal sleeve, also with a a sawzall. Once cut through I was able to bend and pry the bushing out of the arm.

I didn't finish with the install before I turned into a pumpkin so I've got some work left for tonight.

a hack saw and the BFH (Big Ford Hammer) worked great to get the factory bushings removed from my stock arms.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:23 PM

I had the same problem with bushings with the voids in them. Two lower bushings completely shot for a 13 hr drive home from the Con. I talked to RE about it when I got back and they said they used them for a while but ixnayed them after seeing how quickly they wore.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:14 PM

Dan,
I've done a bunch of those damn things and have a few tips. Grind the ridge off the inside of the bushing and also chamfer the edge that presses in first.
Clean the whole thing and the control arm's insides up with some sandpaper before installing. Use some lube before pressing.
Have Fun,
Ron
RE should be shot for continuing to sell those sucky bushings.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:22 PM

I just finished putting them in.

used some antiseize on them on the way in.

hopefully they will last longer than the first set.