Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-09-2002, 01:11 PM

Angry Loud Terra Planetary Gears!

I've heard of bad planetary gears and now I'm experiencing it on my just bought used Terra 4to1.
I never got out of the drive way before I heard a grinding type noise. I went right back to the driveway and tore it down. It's definitely loud/mis-aligned planetary gears. The guy that sold it to me said it was loud at low speeds but I never thought it would be this type of loud.
I guess I'll try and deal with Terra or learn to live with the noise. They don't show any undo wear, I figure something is just a bit off in the set up. Terra sucks.
Any advise?
Ron
Old 07-09-2002, 01:26 PM

Mine was WAY loud all the time. I think its just the nature of the beast.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:29 PM

All of the planet gears are assembled into a welded together unit. They should be timed correctly or they will carry on and make all kinds of noise. I forget the details, but in Tera's instructions the timing is explained. I can digitize the instructions and send them to you if you would like them. To set the timing the whole case has to be removed and dissassembled. It's not hard, but it is time consuming and annoying.

I agree; Tera sucks!
Old 07-09-2002, 02:08 PM

If you have it out you may want to ignore me for the time being, but I have found that running a high quality synthetic ATF in mine has really helped on the planetary whine. Maybe you need to negotiate a rebate on the price you paid - I would be ****ed if the planetary was bad or misaligned.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:51 PM

I called Jim Walker at Teraflex and he said to send it to them and they would align it and send it back the same day. I sent it all ready.
This was not a whine, it was a growl every so many revolutions. I have no idea how they could align that welded up POS but I hope they can. Time will tell.
I'm wondering why we run ATF in a transfer case and not gear lube similar to a diff?
Matt (the seller) said it made noise but he was assured it was ok. Some folks can tolerate more noise than others. My heap may look like doo doo but it does run quiet!
Thanks for the help and sympathy.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:53 PM

Jim, thanks but I don't think I will need the instructions. Also, I all ready had it dis-assembled and on the bench.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 07-09-2002, 02:57 PM

They're DEFINITELY worth the effort for us stick guys.

You'll be happy with it when its in.
Seth
Old 07-09-2002, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
I'm wondering why we run ATF in a transfer case and not gear lube similar to a diff?
The planetary gear sets wouldn't put up with 90 weight - they need the shear properties of ATF.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hinkley
Ron,

ATLAS II

ATLAS II

ATLAS II

ATLAS II

mark
orgs mfg
Old 07-09-2002, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hinkley
Ron,

ATLAS II

ATLAS II

ATLAS II

ATLAS II

mark
orgs mfg
Too big

too ugly

too much work

too many holes in the floorboard

too many sticks to play with

too much aluminum

too much strength

too much money

Did I say they were too big yet?

Do they make an Atlas I.5 yet?
Old 07-09-2002, 07:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hinkley
They fit in an xj just fine. Not much more work than building up a 231 with all the goodies.

Gear drive for now on for me.

The sticks give you something to do while crawling along nice and slooowwwwww!

It's got to have at least a couple of sticks to shift to be able to DRIVE it.

mark
orgs mfg
Old 07-09-2002, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Do they make an Atlas I.5 yet?
Yup, its called a Dana 300.

Flip it. Teralow it. You are all set.

Mine, all ready to go in.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:34 PM

Ron,

I just wanted to clear the air that I did not intentionally pawn off a bad teralow. I had read how they can have a noise after install, but the guy at Tera that Supplee put me in touch with said that they should break in after some good use in 4 low. A couple thousand miles ago I took it to 4wheel parts and after 10 minutes of telling the guy that I wasn't sure this was normal, I finally convinced him to go on a test ride with me. He just told me that he's heard worse and that it will get better the more I use it in 4low. I also asked him about the timing being off, but he said that it was factory set and he never heard of any that were bad. It has gotten quieter since it was first installed, but I only got to use it on 3 occasions. Like Robert said, I've heard that synthetics can really quiet them down, but I just changed the fluid at 1000 and 3000 miles after install (per directions) with normal fluid in the hope that it would break in faster and easier with less lubricity (is that a word) than synthetics (like a new engine). I should have taken you for a quick trip around the block so you could be the judge of the noise yourself. Let me know if the gent at tera gives you any problems and I'll give you the info for the guy that Supplee works with (Bob spoke highly of him) at tera. If Tera charges you for shipping let me know, and I will at least pay you for that if tera says that it was misaligned. Let me know how much it sets you back. I don't want to become the guy that pawns bad stuff onto unknowing strangers. Send me an email and keep me posted please.
Matt
Old 07-09-2002, 08:55 PM

Matt,
Not to worry. You said it made noises up to 15 mph. I should have asked what kind of noises. So far the guy I talked to (Jim Wheeler) was very helpfull and understanding. I was up front with him how I aquired it and what you were told by your installer. He didn't mention any cost to me. He just said to ship it and it would be aligned and sent back. This gives me time to install the OBA and in cab Rancho controllers. I'm in no hurry so all is well. If I have a complaint about our deal, you will be the first to know!
I hope you don't have any leaks with those mrblaine special seals!
Ron
Old 07-09-2002, 09:58 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Ron,

The OBA will most likely make noise too. I have heard numerous Yorks run and they are FAR from being quiet. Hell, they make the Tera 4:1 sound like a well oiled machine.

Perhaps you might want to send the OBA out my way. I have a nice quiet CO2 tank that has but one moving part and it makes NO noise. You would be much happier with that.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:18 PM

Duh, I would take you up on that except I all ready have the compressor installed and purchased hearing protection.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisK

Yup, its called a Dana 300.

Flip it. Teralow it. You are all set....
Except for us 4 cylinder folks who need a 21 spline input. When I called them months ago there was nothing to fit my 2.5 engine and I had to go with the Tera Low. Tera sucks....
Old 07-10-2002, 09:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M

Except for us 4 cylinder folks who need a 21 spline input. When I called them months ago there was nothing to fit my 2.5 engine and I had to go with the Tera Low. Tera sucks....
You'd need to run the auto instead of the AX5 to mate the D300.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John

You'd need to run the auto instead of the AX5 to mate the D300.
Which he's gonna do soon. So this might still be an option then..
Old 07-10-2002, 07:12 PM

Options, options, lots of options...

John, I was told the 904/909 was a 21 spline in and out. Is that wrong? Is it 21 in and 23 out? I hope it is.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M
Options, options, lots of options...

John, I was told the 904/909 was a 21 spline in and out. Is that wrong? Is it 21 in and 23 out? I hope it is.
23 spline output on them. The only auto's that had the 21 spline was the XJ stuff from the late 80's.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:03 AM

I talked to Jim at Tera Flex today. He said my planetaries were fine. Neither of us saw any sign of damage but agree they could be off a tad during assembly as most of them are. He said they only spin in the high gears and need a lot of low range driving with some torque on them to break them in and hopefully quiet things down.
Anyhow, I'm sure I'm good to go.
I'll take Roberts advise and put some synthetic ATF in there.
Thanks for the help. I feel beter now!
Ron
Old 07-15-2002, 11:15 AM

Good Deal Ron.

FWIW, John Lemuix recommended B&M Trick Shift full synthetic to me last time I was over at his shop. It really quieted things down and has a cute little side benefit in that its green in color. Now I can tell which ATF box is leaking what
Old 07-15-2002, 02:06 PM

I wonder where in this area I would find that magic potion?
Thanks,
Ron
Old 07-15-2002, 04:55 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Ron.....got any speed/performance car shops around? That is where I would check first.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:00 PM

I got the gears back and the transfer case in. In high it sounds like crap until I get going a bit, then it disappears. It sounds like crap all through the low gears. It is a growl every revolution of the 1:1 gearing. At least I know what it is and hopefully it will get better with time. Stuff like this annoys the heck out of me and I will never forgive Tera for putting out such crap and calling it "normal".
I found the lube at AutoZone!
Thanks again guys!
Ron
Old 07-18-2002, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
I got the gears back and the transfer case in. In high it sounds like crap until I get going a bit, then it disappears. It sounds like crap all through the low gears. It is a growl every revolution of the 1:1 gearing. At least I know what it is and hopefully it will get better with time. Stuff like this annoys the heck out of me and I will never forgive Tera for putting out such crap and calling it "normal".
I found the lube at AutoZone!
Thanks again guys!
Ron
Ron, I know you have seen me say it before, but it's worth repeating. Tera takes a great idea, gets it about 3/4's of the way done and then forgets what they were doing.

I will never understand that. They just have too many products in that category for it to be much other than a policy with them.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:52 AM

Yes Blaine. Very true, indeed. I made a post on JU and will continue to do so as my "gears break in". I don't think folks are being vocal enough about this kind of attitude from Tera on the boards. The Bulldog will bark, just as I did with Drive Train Direct! As you know, I can be a royal PITA!
Old 07-18-2002, 09:41 AM

It will quiet down Ron - what it really needs is to be wheeled in low range to do that. Running around in 2WD on pavement won't get it done and I think thats all the guy you bought it from was doing. I think he had 2 minor off road trips on it which is not enough to break in the low range planetaries.

Once I got the bugs worked out of mine and probably somethng in the neighborhood of a couple hundred off road miles on it - it shut right up and hasn't given me any trouble since. I honestly do believe that the synthetic ATF I have been using has been a major factor in that. Now imine does tend to still make a noticible noise but its only once I hit 3rd gear in 4LO and I am coasting that it becomes something where you say to yourself, "heh, that thing sure does let you know its there"

Yea Tera does stuff 75% of the way and nobody should have to put up with that but once you wheel it and find out what the gear reduction is doing for you, I think you will be happier. Look at it this way, I know 4 people using that box and once we got the initial hebejebees worked out, none of us have hand any further trouble or issues.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:49 AM

Thanks Robert. I guess I need more patience.
Off I go to put some miles on it!
Ron