Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-13-2003, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Only if I'm right. BTW- if you really think that, you suck at paying attention. If it truly bothers you, you can unfind this place the same way you found it.

I tossed that bit of info in there because you and I are not the only ones involved in putting flat skids on rigs and some may not be familiar with the amount of work that goes into one, the benefits reaped or the logic behind certain modifications.

Go back to the beginning of this thread and read it again. I didn't jump in and tell anyone how to do anything. I was asked, I answered. I gave my reasoning why. What's your problem with that?
Blaine, I did the same thing. I gave the reasoning as to why mine wouldn't work that way in case John needed it. And you replied with a cheap shot about me being "a little sensitive". I'm just returning fair play the way I see it.

Why is it that you can give it, but not take it? Its simply a disagreement, not a reason to imply that someone should leave the BBS if they don't like your reasoning.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepincj7
Blaine, I did the same thing. I gave the reasoning as to why mine wouldn't work that way in case John needed it. And you replied with a cheap shot about me being "a little sensitive". I'm just returning fair play the way I see it.

Why is it that you can give it, but not take it? Its simply a disagreement, not a reason to imply that someone should leave the BBS if they don't like your reasoning.
If you are giving the reasons for your logic to John, don't quote me and I won't think you are being sensitive.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sensitive.
......but to be honest, I have never had an issue where the skid hung me up from moving. I still have 22" between the belly and the ground.

I've found the same thing with my Tera Belly Up. If I wanted more clearance it would be for my diffs and control arm brackets. Another inch in the center would be insignificant.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON about Mr Sensitive
I've found the same thing with my Tera Belly Up. If I wanted more clearance it would be for my diffs and control arm brackets. Another inch in the center would be insignificant.
You thought I would miss that ........ Now that was funny!
Old 08-14-2003, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
Another inch would not be a big deal one way or another. I'll give you that. In this case though, the difference between Scotty's skidplate and yours is the difference between stock and a belly-up.

Are you saying that's not worth it?
Old 08-14-2003, 07:28 AM

It would be worth it if it could be done. As I know nothing about a CJ with an Atlas I'll take Scotts word for it he did the best he could with what he's got.

I would like to have a completely flat one like yours but it's not on my list of priorities. Doing something with the diff brackets and body brackets is more important as I do get hung up on them.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
It would be worth it if it could be done. As I know nothing about a CJ with an Atlas I'll take Scotts word for it he did the best he could with what he's got.

I would like to have a completely flat one like yours but it's not on my list of priorities. Doing something with the diff brackets and body brackets is more important as I do get hung up on them.
It's not the Atlas, it's the 1 ton truck tranny in a 1/4 ton rig. Well, that and the CJ's have a bit less room to easily do a belly-up.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:01 AM

I didn't pay attention. I see it's the NV4500. Just the same, he's working with what he's got and likes it.

I think Allen has a great idea. By my calculations using 1/2" steel plate, my Belly Up would only weigh around 125#. All though that would be a little hard to man handle it could be handy for clearing mine fields.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
So about that whole material thing.........
Old 08-14-2003, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John
Yeah,

1/2" steel is the way to go.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 08-14-2003, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I didn't pay attention. I see it's the NV4500. Just the same, he's working with what he's got and likes it.

I think Allen has a great idea. By my calculations using 1/2" steel plate, my Belly Up would only weigh around 125#. All though that would be a little hard to man handle it could be handy for clearing mine fields.
If I was running an auto I could easily stick it up in there. But the NV hangs around 3" lower than a typical tranny. Without that 3", it would be a completely flat skid under there. Its a PIG, but its extremely smooth and shifts like a car tranny. Much different than the NP435 I daily drive in my EB.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:47 AM

Quote:
........Its a PIG, but its extremely smooth and shifts like a car tranny. Much different than the NP435 I daily drive in my EB.
I have one in my Dodge truck. I really don't notice it shifting a whole lot better than the AX15 in my Jeep. They both shift pretty nice though. I haven't driven many other stick shifts lately but I doubt they could be much better unless they're in a sports car or something.
Granny in 4X4 with the NV4500 is sure great for crawling the fifth wheel in tight places.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I have one in my Dodge truck. I really don't notice it shifting a whole lot better than the AX15 in my Jeep. They both shift pretty nice though. I haven't driven many other stick shifts lately but I doubt they could be much better unless they're in a sports car or something.
Granny in 4X4 with the NV4500 is sure great for crawling the fifth wheel in tight places.
AX15 is kinda like a car tranny. The older truck trannies shift very slowly, and have huge throws. Plus, most aren't synchronized in 1st gear. From 1st to Reverse in my EB, its literally a 24" throw. From 3rd to 4th is around 18". The NV4500 is very similar to the throw of an AX15 or T5(also a mustang tranny). Its a dream in a one ton truck to have a tranny like that.

An AX15 is tiny compared to a NV4500. The NV weighs 200lbs dry. And AX15 maybe weighs 70lbs.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:56 AM

Quote:

An AX15 is tiny compared to a NV4500. The NV weighs 200lbs dry. And AX15 maybe weighs 70lbs.
Hey! If you swap that tranny for an AX 15 you can run a 1/2" flat skid and search for land mines in your spare time!
Paul McCartney and his wife will love you! Allen will whip one out for you and shipping shouldn't be too much.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Allen will whip one out for you and shipping shouldn't be too much.
Truck freight only.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 08-14-2003, 11:59 AM

An NV-4500 convention, I love it, I feel like I fit right in
Old 11-08-2003, 09:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to jeepik
Quote:
Originally posted by John
how about that bling stuff the cleargear covers are made out of

that would go well with your Frisco paint scheme