Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-05-2004, 09:04 AM

Help with my rear end..

Axle that is.

I've got several issues that I need advice on what to do for the rear of my jeep.

I've broken the axle side of the trak bar brackette twice. After a mild wheeling trip, I was doing a check over, and found that it's bent, leaning toward the wheel. I'm sure this will eventually end up in it breaking again. I've heard about a reinforcing bracketete from Tri county, but haven't seen anyone with one, or heard any mid or long term reviews?

Anyone have any ideas? I think welding it again would be a band aid.

Shocks:

My billstiens, which have been possibly the worst shock available, have decided to spew fluid and bottom out on just about anything. I have a set of used Rancho's in the garage, but one is dented, and doesn't work. I've seen and heard some positive comments about the new Procomp shocks. I'd like an adjustable shock, as I have adjustables on the front and they seem to be a good tool in ride quality.

Track bar it's self. One end has a hiem joint, the other has a poly bushing. The poly bushing is just about shot.. where can I find a new one? Will a double hiem cause more wear problems for the brackette on either side (frame or axle, esp axle)? Or is it possible that it will relieve the problems I'm having on the axle side?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:15 AM

Tri County Gear and 4-Wheelers Supply (Phoenix, AZ) make track bar bracket braces. Of the two, I'll probably get the one from 4-Wheelers. It replaces the spacer in the stock bracket location and then bolts on using a couple of the diff cover bolts. I think it's around $45. EDIT: A couple of the Phoenix-area Jeepers are running the 4-Wheelers brace and I haven't heard any complaints. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I don't know anything about the new PC shocks. I'm running RS9000s in the rear, with OMEs up front. I was running OMEs in the rear until I dented one. I really liked them both, but would have to give the nod to the RS9000s because I can tune them for on- or off-road driving.

Can't help on the track bar - I'm kicking around a couple ideas right now, too: either replace the poly bushing with a hiem or with a stock rubber bushing. The only drawback I've heard about having a heim at each end is that the bar will sometimes flop forward or backwards and make contact the gas tank skid or exhaust. I haven't decided yet whether the extra flex is worth the noise...but in the end that's probably which way I'll go.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-05-2004, 11:35 AM

Well, good there's an option for a re enforcement brackette. Hopefully that will solve the wayward brackette.

I'm wondering what to do about shocks: anyone?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
when i had my stock axle in my tj i welded a gusset on the side and a renforcement plate on the bottom approx. 2"x 2" on the bottom rear of the track bar bracket catching the back two lower corners and bottom edge and the axle tube itself. very simple.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:14 PM

Shocks?

Well, I can personally recommend the OME shocks I'm running right now, at least for on road ride. I haven't done more than a dirt trail, since dropping the ZJ down so I can't really say how they are for rockcrawling. For onroad and moderate wheeling though, OME shocks are golden.

BTW, haven't you asked about this before? I'm not sure why you are still fighting it. Go out and get some ranchos already. The majority of us are/were running 9000s. I'm not sure what more of a testament you need than that.

You put them on 3 for onroad ride and it's pretty cushy yet sporty enough if you need it for emergency situations. 4 is good for any general offroading situation , and 5 is for the serious rocks.

Rancho 9000s, IMO, are the best all around shock for a DD/offroad vehicle.

Not sure about the 9000x with the 5 million extra settings though.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:05 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
IMHO OME shocks have a good ride quality and good length specs for 4" of lift. On the other hand, I have had a bit of leakage and destroyed two of the c clips used to hold in the bar pins. I also don't like the hard poly bushings they use, my rears are already worn out.

When I get new shocks I'll most likely go with an 11" gas pressure of some variety. Valving yet to be determined.

my $.02
Old 01-05-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
BTW, haven't you asked about this before? I'm not sure why you are still fighting it. Go out and get some ranchos already. The majority of us are/were running 9000s. I'm not sure what more of a testament you need than that.
I actually got some rancho's for the rear, but one is dead, and I wanted to see if there was something new out that was better.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:58 PM

Rancho 9000s - there are a couple shops that may be able to help you exchange that shock, depending on how noticable the dent is.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2004, 03:11 PM

You should never ask for help with your Rear End.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sethmark
You should never ask for help with your Rear End.
Why not? I actualy got help..
Old 01-05-2004, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
Shocks?

Rancho 9000s, IMO, are the best all around shock for a DD/offroad vehicle.

I didn't think you could get these anymore?

Deserves got nothing to do with it
Old 01-05-2004, 03:43 PM

...they are plenty available if you want the new and improved versions which frankly are not really improved if you want the same amount of travel shock for shock. They traded stroke for valving allowing more adjustability - about 3/4" less.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by William
I actually got some rancho's for the rear, but one is dead, and I wanted to see if there was something new out that was better.
For the $ and performance you get out of them, I don't think there is anything better out than the adjustable ranchos. At least I haven't heard or seen it yet.

You can spend more to get fancy valved gas shocks. People seem to like them, from what I've seen and read. It's a matter of spending the $ though.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:13 AM

Quote:
You can spend more to get fancy valved gas shocks. People seem to like them, from what I've seen and read. It's a matter of spending the $ though. [/B]
Probably not worth the extra $ for the stuff that I do then.

I'm going to try to get my billstiens warrentied and then trade them strait for the Rancho's.