Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-19-2006, 09:20 AM

Talking Desert hygiene

OK, starting to make some preparations for Thanksgiving week at JV and thinking about prevention of excessive body odors after a few days desert living with no shower.

Has anyone used or had any experience with these? http://www.fieldtowel.com/ They seem a bit more practical and cost effective than these http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/...emed/0170-0300

What do those of you without fancy RV's do for staying somewhat clean for a week in the desert or do you just stink the place up?
My wife is a little concerned about this
Old 10-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Re: Desert hygiene

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi
OK, starting to make some preparations for Thanksgiving week at JV and thinking about prevention of excessive body odors after a few days desert living with no shower.

Has anyone used or had any experience with these? http://www.fieldtowel.com/ They seem a bit more practical and cost effective than these http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/...emed/0170-0300

What do those of you without fancy RV's do for staying somewhat clean for a week in the desert or do you just stink the place up?
My wife is a little concerned about this
We have a camp shower we bring that is beyond crude on the 1st day, slightly offensive on the 2nd, and downright luxurious on the 3rd.

Our jeep trailer has 2 deep cycle marine batteries, a shower pump from an RV, and a 42 gallon water tank we keep full. The average shower consumes about 2.5 gallons of water and you don't need to hurry.

For Thanksgiving, we try and bring a few extra jugs of water to accomodate everyone's needs. Water is only 20 or so minutes away should we need more.

So, quit worrying. Oh, the shower heater is a double coil of copper tubing 8" tall and 4" in diameter on top of a high efficiency turkey fryer burner and we bring 3 of the Bar-B-Que sized propane tanks.

The shower itself is a Cabela's shower tent with several amenities for privacy and clothes changing. Basically walk in, zip the door shut, undress, unzip the side window and hang your clothes and towel outside on the provided bar. Zip closed, shower, open the window, grab the towel and dry clothes, dry off, dress and enjoy.

We may be heathens, but we do enjoy a nice hot shower in the dusty desert.

In case I didn't make it clear, it's the camp shower for anyone who wishes to use it.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:06 AM

I haven't used either of those, but that's not to say they don't work well.

One option you might want to consider is a solar portable shower. I bought one a while back in preparation for JV but ended up not needing it. IIRC, it holds ~5-7 gallons and you simply hang it outside till you're ready to use it. I think it has a small nozzle, hose & turn on/off valve. The solar shower was only a few bucks & refillable.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Reggae

Also, I am sure, those fancy field towels work, but the cheap alternative is baby wipes.

Blaine's shower works very well, as a frequent user I can attest to that.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:26 AM

/\/\/\ I was also going to suggest costco baby wipes, but Sergey beat me to it.

They work pretty well for the first 2 days, but you start to feel crusty by the end of that period.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:50 AM

I use baby wipes a lot when camping but I have learned by now to only buy the unscented ones. Those normally scented baby wipes get downright overpowering if you use them much.

Blain's desert shower sounds downright luxurious!
Old 10-19-2006, 03:36 PM

Thanks all and especially Blaine for offer of the use of the shower, it is very much appreciated. We'll try and bring some additional water to help with this.
We'll also just do the Wallmart for non -perfumed baby wipes instead of the ones I asked about.

I'm sure there will be more questions as we get closer.
Thanks again
Old 10-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi
Thanks all and especially Blaine for offer of the use of the shower, it is very much appreciated. We'll try and bring some additional water to help with this.
We'll also just do the Wallmart for non -perfumed baby wipes instead of the ones I asked about.

I'm sure there will be more questions as we get closer.
Thanks again
You have 2 choices, use the shower or camp downwind. Camping downwind requires that you put your tent on a trailer. The wind blows out of the east in the AM and clocks around 180 degrees until it's coming straight out of the west on a daily basis. It's easier to use the shower.

Don't haul water from your home. We don't have a shortage in CA. Just help with a trip to get some more when the time comes and this applies to everyone coming out. We'll bring the initial round of water. Just help when it runs out.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
You have 2 choices, use the shower or camp downwind. Camping downwind requires that you put your tent on a trailer. The wind blows out of the east in the AM and clocks around 180 degrees until it's coming straight out of the west on a daily basis. It's easier to use the shower.

Don't haul water from your home. We don't have a shortage in CA. Just help with a trip to get some more when the time comes and this applies to everyone coming out. We'll bring the initial round of water. Just help when it runs out.
More than happy to go on water runs whenever needed.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:32 PM

Talking Girl Stuff

I'd leave those baby wipes for the babies (they taste really bad if you wash your face with them). If you are tent camping, bring a pot large enough to boil some water and bring some camp soap, wash cloth's and some towels. A nice sponge bath before bed every night is very pleasant. The shower is better but we don't bring it for every trip. The trailer always has extra water for washing hands, face and the occasional shampoo.

Don't be shy about using the shower. We use camp-soap as body soap and shampoo, so I bring a spray / leave in conditioner for my hair to comb out the tangles and keep my hair soft.

Another trick I learned is to bring wash cloths in zip-lock bags and use the melted ice from the ice chest or a bit from a water bottle to wash up on really warm days. This can be done on the trail at anytime.

For camp, be sure to bring some comfy Ugh Boots or the Costco brand sheepskins to lounge around in or your favorite slippers, above the ankle is better at keeping your feet clean. Just don't hold them next to the fire very long.

I found that it is almost impossible to get my shoes back on after the shower until my feet are completely dry. We have those wooden sauna things that we put on the floor of the shower so that you are not standing in water while taking one.

Dry skin, chapped lips, hands and hair is a big problem after the first day, be sure to account for that. Even people with oily hair go home with dry hair.

Gloves are a must, for the women two kinds are necessary, one kind for the trail (rock tossing requires a tougher brand) and another kind to wear around the camp and to and from the trails to keep your hands warm and to prevent chapping.

Something else to consider for the women, privacy is first and foremost on our minds (believe me, the bushes in the desert are just not big enough to offer the kind of privacy a woman needs). We have a Phillips Portable Environmental Toilet System (PETT) that we keep in our tent for our personal use. I buy the Wag Bags 100 at a time and they last a really long time. We have a stand alone portable toilet tent that we can bring if someone wants to use it (just the tent, toilet not included).

Ice and frozen bottles of water work better in the ice chest than the freeze packs, you can drink the water after it melts so you are not carrying thawed dead-weight around with you. Just put them in the freezer a few days before you need to use them.
Use different sizes, I mix small and large ones.

Everybody is welcome to use what is on the trailer, the stove, can opener, and kitchen stuff. I will also bring the camp oven if you need to warm something up. Ron likes "Apple Flops" warmed in the oven with butter on them.

Kat
Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Administrator

To add to Kat's post. If you have a camping gear need, please express it. I am the king of spares and most likely have a spare laying around you are welcome to to lighten your travel load.

Be creative, I'm pretty hard to stump. Ask Allen.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the tips and suggestions Kat and Blaine. We are in good shape for camping stuff and have a PETT toilet and fixins.
Looking forward to heading on out that way.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:05 PM

Awesome!

I'm looking forward to a week of camping. I better get my camcorder charged up so I can take some video of our adventures

Kat
Old 10-20-2006, 09:31 PM

Not sure exactly why, but I guess it's by reading about all these preperations and the extra tite community who tend to join in on this type of fun, gets me excited to go.

One GIANT thing that I am always thankfull for and that Kat & Blaine seem to always share, is a wonderful cup of hot coffee in the morning. Mmm, mmm, mmm.

I suppose if I didn't stay up so late drinkin' beer with the boys....I'd be more apt to fix my own. It's not like I don't bring it - it's just that the foggyness in the morning circling around my head keeps me in bed too long & I end up sponging a cup from others.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:35 PM

I just thought about something........just a couple reminders.

Don't bring items in bottles. EG: Soda, beer, etc. Also, each of us should bring some wood to burn in the campfire. No nails in the wood is prefered.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dillard
I just thought about something........just a couple reminders.

Don't bring items in bottles. EG: Soda, beer, etc. Also, each of us should bring some wood to burn in the campfire. No nails in the wood is prefered.
It is a violation of the BLM rules of usage to even have nail bearing wood in your possession in the OHV area.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/barstow/johnson.html
Old 10-23-2006, 09:43 PM

Re: Girl Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepKat
Everybody is welcome to use what is on the trailer, the stove, can opener, and kitchen stuff. I will also bring the camp oven if you need to warm something up. Ron likes "Apple Flops" warmed in the oven with butter on them.

Kat
and I'll gladly supply some 'appelflappen' again ... dang they tasted awesome last year Kat by warming them up.

Maybe I'll even bring along some extra flavors (strawberry, raspberry, cherry ...)

Hope to see y'all in a couple of weeks