Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > The Photo Circle
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Photo Circle Our brand spanking new forum to discuss and ask questions about anything related to photography. Also share you pictures and talk about creative works.

Old 03-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Banned

SLR Flash ?

I have had a Canon Rebal 2000 for about 2 years but I have only used it for taking pictures outdoors. Since my wife and I have a baby on the way I will probally end up taking quite a few indoor pictures. Should I buy a Speedlight flash or will the built in flash on the Rebal work good enough? I use the Rebal mostly for a point and shoot camara I don't play around with shutter speeds and such but it takes great pictures. I am also thinking about getting the Digital Rebal so the Speedlight will work with that also along with my 100-300 Canon Zoom lens.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:09 AM

I've used both a speedlight and the build in flash on my Canon. For most indoor shooting the built in flash works good. You have to be careful with the speedlight as it can quickly overpower the picture and make it too bright.

I'm just a guy who likes to take pictures though, and not a pro. I would practice some indoor shots now with the built in flash and see if they work for you before you spend any money.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Reggae

Speedlight is for Nikon. You need to buy a Speedlite for Canon.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Speedlight is for Nikon. You need to buy a Speedlite for Canon.
Thanks you are correct I am thinking about getting a Speedlite for the Canon EOS Rebal 2000.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:57 PM

The onboard flash works great. We have been using our rebel for many years. The flash has it's limits but for general use it great.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:57 PM

hey tracy, would that be the camera of yours that i've used? if so, if it happens to come up missing the next time we go wheeling, i'm sure me and butch had no prior plans having to do with it, so don't bother asking us.

greg
Old 03-18-2004, 09:31 PM

Just remember that the closer the flash is to the lens, the more likely you'll cause 'red-eye' effect when taking pictures of people. Using an external flash lessens that probability.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Just remember that the closer the flash is to the lens, the more likely you'll cause 'red-eye' effect when taking pictures of people. Using an external flash lessens that probability.
I didn't know that. Thanks
Old 03-19-2004, 05:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mckeddie
hey tracy, would that be the camera of yours that i've used? if so, if it happens to come up missing the next time we go wheeling, i'm sure me and butch had no prior plans having to do with it, so don't bother asking us.

greg
The camera I had at Attica is the one I'm talking about yes you used it but now I know I should keep it on a short leash. I had my point and shot Canon Digital camera at Slade that one may get replaced with a Digital Rebel since GB gave me a good tax break this year but that one will be for taking pictures away from muddy places the point and shoot digital one will be for wheeling trips.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:03 AM

From my limited experience.... I found that my Canon 540EZ used with an older Canon Elan IIE produced better results (than built-in flash) if the subject was more than 4 to 8 feet from the camera. Another thing I liked to do is aim the flash "UP" and have the light bounce and not directly hit the subject in question.
So...in my completely amateur opinion a good external flash is WAY WAY better than the built-in flash.

I would say that the effective range on the built-in is no greater than 8' or so.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottyY2K
Another thing I liked to do is aim the flash "UP" and have the light bounce and not directly hit the subject in question.

How does this effect red-eye? I'm thinking it would have none since the flash would be far from the lens. Does the Camera adjust for light properly when the flash is pointed up?
Old 03-19-2004, 08:42 AM

The canon camera I have "knows" how the flash is aimed....ie if the head is pivoted up or to the side. It automatically adjusts.

I am not sure about the red-eye though. Red-eye seems a little hit and miss to me.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Reggae

Red-eye effect occurs when the angle of reflection is less than 2.5 degrees. Most external flashes mounted on the camera are far enough from the lens not to get red-eye at close distances, where it matters. Bouncing the light off the ceiling is a good method to eliminate the red eye, and get rid of those pesky black shadows.

Be careful about bouncing the light off the walls if the walls are not white.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Red-eye effect occurs when the angle of reflection is less than 2.5 degrees. Most external flashes mounted on the camera are far enough from the lens not to get red-eye at close distances, where it matters. Bouncing the light off the ceiling is a good method to eliminate the red eye, and get rid of those pesky black shadows.

Be careful about bouncing the light off the walls if the walls are not white.
It seems that you really know a lot about this stuff. How would you go about setting up a inside shot for a baby? Most of my walls are white in my house and the floors are wood there really isn't much that would suck light out of my rooms?

BTW Thanks everyone for the info so far.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_WHITE_TJ_X
How would you go about setting up a inside shot for a baby?
Well. First, I would make sure the baby is rested, well fed and dry. Then, I would have the mom nearby, so the baby doesn't get nervous. And then, I would use all my creativity to take the best pictures I can, as many of them as I can manage.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well. First, I would make sure the baby is rested, well fed and dry. Then, I would have the mom nearby, so the baby doesn't get nervous. And then, I would use all my creativity to take the best pictures I can, as many of them as I can manage.
Not what I was looking for but really funny Thanks