Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-06-2003, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Ask William what measures some idiots will go to to mess with you if they know who you are. (not that William stirs things up )
What, me stir things up? Nahhhh!
What, me have a bad week and go on a rant? Nooo!

Yeah,

They'll do wierd things. But, I do not desire to hide behind anything. Sadly, most people who decide to do silly things (like threaten to call work) hide behind cowboy names...

I had a nickname at first on the RAMJAW.. and then started posting under my real name.

For a while I kicked around going back to an alias, but wanted it to reflect who I am.

Sadly, most boards don't allow you to put in the name "dickweed".
Old 06-06-2003, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gp'n Jake
yeah, same SN everywhere...here, JU, etc...
something is still wacky with their site, that's for sure.
Yup, same here. I try http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums and get redirected to http://204.118.16.216/.
From there, it goes nowhere. If you click on Furms Unlimted, nothing happens. If I try to log in, I get an error that the module is not active.

Great system they have there.

Chris
Old 06-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisK
Yup, same here. I try http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums and get redirected to http://204.118.16.216/.
From there, it goes nowhere. If you click on Furms Unlimted, nothing happens. If I try to log in, I get an error that the module is not active.

Chris
I got the same thing at home. But at work, JU forum works great. I can't figure out why.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by underDAWG
I got the same thing at home. But at work, JU forum works great. I can't figure out why.
Haven't tried it from work yet but the same thing happens in every browser I try at home.

Edit: I even tried clicking on all of the "admin" links to let them know of the problem and none of those work either.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to JMyerz Send a message via Yahoo to JMyerz
My girlfriends house works just fine (Verizon DSL) but my house (AT&T Cable, Now Comcast) won't work at all....

Very frustrating when you have 15 PMs about things you were trying to sell

Justin
Old 06-06-2003, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisK

Chris
If you're running Windows 2000 try executing "ipconfig /flushdns". It's possible that you have an old copy of the A record (the thing that tells your computer how to map "jeepsunlimited.com" to an IP address) in your resolver cache and this will flush it. Unfortunately I have no clue what the equivalent command is on other operating systems so if you aren't on W2K this won't help.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Reggae

Try http://204.118.16.216/forums/
Old 06-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I can get to the forum using the address Sergey listed, though the pictures and icons are nothing but red x's.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
I can get to the forum using the address Sergey listed, though the pictures and icons are nothing but red x's.
Yup. Same here. They probably have it configged to only work properly on one OS with a specific browser version.

Chris

Edit: I can read the posts and log in, but can't interact with posts or even post a message in any way. Wonder when they are going to figure it all out.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:14 AM

Guys - Moving sites from one facility to another is something that I do frequently at work (with 15 minutes of downtime typically, not a week like these clowns) and there is a good chance that this is a DNS problem local to your system cache or your ISPs DNS servers. If this is the case there is nothing that JU can do about it, you have to resolve it.

To confirm if this is the case open a command prompt and type "ping www.jeepsunlimited.com". If everything is okay you'll get something like:

Pinging www.jeepsunlimited.com [204.118.16.216] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 204.118.16.216: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=242
Reply from 204.118.16.216: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=242
Reply from 204.118.16.216: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=242
Reply from 204.118.16.216: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=242

If you see a different IP address then your system is confused and you'll need to take additional steps to resolve the problem. The symptom you're seeing (the redirect) is a poorly thought out attempt on their part to get around this DNS propogation problem - it won't work without that same redirect on every page and every image that is referenced with an absolute URL and even then they'll have cookie issues.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Banned

Well, I got this:

Pinging www.jeepsunlimited.com [209.172.186.133] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 209.172.186.133:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Old 06-07-2003, 08:39 AM

Underdawg.

what OS do you have?
Old 06-07-2003, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Welch
If you see a different IP address then your system is confused and you'll need to take additional steps to resolve the problem. The symptom you're seeing (the redirect) is a poorly thought out attempt on their part to get around this DNS propogation problem - it won't work without that same redirect on every page and every image that is referenced with an absolute URL and even then they'll have cookie issues.
By golly he's rfight. When I ping www.jeepsunlimited.com from the Mac OS X Network Utility, I get 100% packet loss on IP 209.172.186.133. How does this get resolved?

How does this explain the fact that when you go in the back ways, nothing works?
Old 06-07-2003, 09:43 AM

Art knows his shista

ZUK's Page
Old 06-07-2003, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by underDAWG
Well, I got this:

Pinging www.jeepsunlimited.com [209.172.186.133] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 209.172.186.133:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

I get the exact same results as Linyee if I ping www.jeepsunlimited.com. I can successfully ping 204.118.16.216 which is probably why I can read the board but all their icons are missing. BTW, this is on XP Pro.

Also get the same results on my computers at work (XP Pro & Win2K) as well as my wife's IMac.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Art,

I too get the same results as Linyee and most everyone else.

You state it is my ISP or my own computer that is at fault because JU changes their IP address and now I can not connect to it.

A question.....I have changed the IP address for my web site (switched commercial hosting companies) no less than 4 times since it has been running.....and I have never had this kind of problem. I have seen a few isolated instances where one or two people's ISP has a bad address in their DSN tables.....but do you really thing that almost every ISP across the country all have bad IP addresses because of something they did?

If I had to guess, and given JU's IT level of displayed web knowledge, I am betting that JU screwed the pooch on this one....perhaps THEY neglected to updated the national DNS registry (or what ever it is called)?
Old 06-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
I wonder why I'm not having an issue at work or at home. Could it be an east coast/west coast thing?

As I know nothing about this sort of stuff it is only an observation I can make at this time as a lot of west coasters on JU (if they can access it) are getting a lot of red x's and it seems everything east of the Mississippi is kosher (except for Linyee).

Stu, I was one of those with the problem with your site. I ended up with a new computer and was fine since. If I use the old computer, I still get that Arabic site. LOL

Stu, I copied part of what you wrote above and posted in in the "troubleshooting" thread. If you mind, let me know and I'll remove it. I just think that tyou have been the only person to say something like what is above so far.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:40 PM

Cool

Seems to be an ISP/DNS thingy.
I can access it just fine from work.
I can't at home (comcast.net).. I can get to it via Stu's suggestion (above), but everything is red x's, etc.
Dan can get to it just fine from his home (prodigy.net).

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 06-07-2003, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthTJ
Seems to be an ISP/DNS thingy.
I can access it just fine from work.
I can't at home (comcast.net).. I can get to it via Stu's suggestion (above), but everything is red x's, etc.
Dan can get to it just fine from his home (prodigy.net).

Fred
Though I was i the same boat, JU ok at work but not at home, it's working fine for me now. Have you tried clearing your cache and all your cookies?
Old 06-07-2003, 10:14 PM

I flushed the DNS and it didn't take care of it. I've left the computer on all day today by mistake and just came back to it and JU is working fine. I guess it finally propagated with my server.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:37 PM
Banned

Well..... I run Windows XP professional in my office, home and Laptop. I just arrived in a few hours ago in Montreal. In the hotel, I have no problem with JU, only problem I have is at Home.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:49 PM

The thing I learned the hard way a few years ago after an exceptionally error prone site relocation is that DNS propogation doesn't behave anything like the standard says it should. There are screwed up DNS servers that blatantly ignore the TTL (time to live) associated with records and cache things for days or weeks. There are local system DNS caches that behave as if they are possessed. The only reliable solution that I found to make the transition seamless is to leave web hardware in the old location for a transition period of 2-3 weeks. That's a lifetime (and a very illogical requirement) when the TTL for your record is 15 minutes and it's also a huge pain to provide secure high speed access to a common database for web devices at two locations. In fairness I can see why the JU guys didn't do this even if they had understood the issues, it requires some $ for the infrastructure.

Jeff - With W2K (and perhaps other Windows OSs) you need to close all instances of IE and/or reboot for the change to take effect. After long enough it will take care of itself when the record expires, the specifics I don't understand. Maybe that's what happened on your system.

Stu - Good instinct regarding a DNS update error, I've been bitten by this problem in the past. Both primary DNS servers for JU (NS1-AUTH.SPRINTLINK.NET, NS2-AUTH.SPRINTLINK.NET) have the right records so they are okay now, that doesn't mean that they didn't screw it up earlier though.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:51 PM

Well, looks like they finally got it fixed.....for now. Seems to be working fine. All pics and buttons working and no redirects to mystery IPs. Geeze, only took them a week.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:08 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Yep....I visisted JU just a few minutes ago and it is functioning correctly for me here at home.

Art, thanks for the additional info about the DNS issues. I can see where that could become a nightmare if the ISPs didn't update properly. I am glad it appears to be correcting itself for everyone (seems like most everything fell into place in the past 12 hours, at least for me).
Old 06-08-2003, 06:11 PM

Cool

It was working ok for me (from home) this morning, before I left the house. Now, it's all foopahed again..

Fred
Old 06-08-2003, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthTJ
It was working ok for me (from home) this morning, before I left the house. Now, it's all foopahed again..

Fred
Yep I spoke too soon, it's fubar again.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Still working here (amazing!)
Old 06-08-2003, 10:43 PM

Dead again here.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:05 PM

Here's something interesting... JU is fubar here at home (but it works fine at work) again if I use my normal MS Explorer browser... but if I use my old Netscape 4.8 browser, JU works fine and the forums are there and humming along. Yes I have cleared the MS Explorer cache and all cookies...
Old 06-12-2003, 03:44 PM

Did it matter if it were dead or not?