Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 09:55 AM

WOW!

I was steered to this post from another list.

Here's my story for the weekend...

My wife and I went out to Means Friday. Saturday morning Mark and his wife Jen pulled into our camp, looking for Scotty.

Mark and his wife were immediately friendly. We looked at each others rig, and Mark and I talked wheeling while the girls yakked about girl stuff. Scotty showed up, we saddled up and hit the trails.

Had an absolute BLAST. I've run Jack, Aftershock, SunBonnet and Wrecking Ball previously, my first go around on Sledge. I'd heard the hype that Sledge was more challenging this year. Honestly, I didn't find it to be that difficult either.

My junk is a 91 YJ stock 4.0L/AX-15/NP231, D30 with TJ shafts and an EZ Locker, HPD44 with discs and a Detroit, 4.88 gears, SOA...and 35" BFG MT's.

Absolutely Mark took different lines than I did, as I'm generally looking for the easier line, considering my build up. Never once did I think there was a competitive atmosphere on the trail.

I felt tippy at one point, really wasn't interested in flopping, Mark and Scotty thought I was OK, but Mark still counter weighted me with a strap. Looking at pics I was OK, but didn't feel it at the time.

I enjoy wheeling with peeps that have better driving abilities and bigger rigs than mine, that's how I learn what works and what doesn't.

My wife and I would wheel with Mark and Jen anytime, anywhere. He and his wife are some of the most down to earth peeps we've met on the trail in a LONG time. If you choose not to wheel with them due to his giving his honest impression of his first Hammers trip, then it's your loss!

91yj, SOA
Old 12-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
Have not seen his driving, but the jeep does worrie me. It looks like a major break down waiting to happen and its never in the drive way. Its always in the middle of the trail and at the end of the day on sunday. Maybe he has gone through the jeep and redone everything, but when I saw it I was not inpressed.
Kory
Old 12-22-2003, 10:19 AM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by underwood

This said. I have no intrest in competition. Or Compitition courses specfic...

Examples of what i think are comp stuff Farmington MN . We had a blast there...
I am a little confused, but that's ok.

Congratulations on "spanking" the Sledgehammer. It's a tough trail, you rigs must be working pretty well, and you know how to drive them.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:20 AM

I get the same story about my junk...

S'd drag link is going to fail, pinion is going to fail on 4.88's in a D30, D30 is junk, HPD44 rear is a ring gear failure looking for a place to happen, NP231 with RE hack and tap sucks, no anti wrap bar, 50:1 crawl will never work at the Hammers, and the list goes on...BFG's DO suck...got a set of 36" TSL bias ply's going on today.

Most everything on my rig is a hand me down. I don't have the $$$ to buy new name brand stuff, so I do the best I can with what I've got. If I break, I 'll fix it. If someone I'm wheeling with breaks, I'll help them fix it. Only rule I have on the trail is "no one gets left behind".

Almost forgot, I have those stupid square (rectangular?)headlights that will never work in the rocks!

91yj, SOA
Old 12-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by bob91yj
Almost forgot, I have those stupid square (rectangular?)headlights that will never work in the rocks!
You have a point there. But, you know, they do make a kit these days to fix that...
Old 12-22-2003, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Almost forgot, I have those stupid square (rectangular?)
headlights that will never work in the rocks!
Just as long as your jeeps not red, everything's gonna be fine.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Most everything on my rig is a hand me down. I don't have the $$$ to buy new name brand stuff, so I do the best I can with what I've got.
Heh, mine isn't much better and I think there are quite a few of us in the same boat. I personally don't know any rich Jeepers. Its a pretty blue collar sport once you get away from the competition end of it. I'm a good example - I have a used Detroit in a used front axle. I bought my rear ARB used and the used rear disks were swapped directly off a running ZJ. The only brand new parts on my suspension are the springs and the Antirock. I bought my beadlocks and MTR's that are currently on my rig used off of Blaine and my T-case is a rebuilt YJ case.

I don't think the issue is about whether folks stuff is junk or not - its more the attitude. I don't care how pimpdaddy somebodys' rig or attitude is - that place will sooner or later provide one of us with a long day. The best thing we all can do for each other is to keep our junk maintained and in good repair before we get out there. One rig blocking a trail can stop everybody else dead in their tracks.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:51 AM

Quote:

My wife and I would wheel with Mark and Jen anytime, anywhere. He and his wife are some of the most down to earth peeps we've met on the trail in a LONG time. If you choose not to wheel with them due to his giving his honest impression of his first Hammers trip, then it's your loss!
Ditto that Bob!

Mark, you and Jen are welcome to camp and wheel with us anytime.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:52 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Robert,
I've seen your jeep and you can't compair the two. There is a point when some thing is rushed together and safety and strength go out the door. Even the magazine pointed out that his home made rush job broke down. It looked as if my five month old son welded this thing together. I also am on a budget and if not for friend that upgrade and friends at the manufactures I would not be on the trail. If you have not seen this thing you need to. makes monster garage look like an art form.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:58 AM

Well, I am not going to comment on somebodys rig that I have never seen in person. I'm also not going to knock other folks fabrication skills. Frankly, while I might be a fair mechanic, my fab skills are probably comparible to Fred Flintstones'

I'm fortunate to have talented friends in that department - very fortunate.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Rockjeep

Hello all Wow i missed all the fun. Went to lunch. Sorry rockjeep you don't like my rig. Did not Build it for you though. If you go back and read jp agin you will see that the outer ford knuckle broke. Not my welding. If you get a brain and some info you will find out ford 60 knuckles break all the time. Ask anyone that knows ford 60 axles. As far as my welding bring it on check out the welds on the diff covers or on the housing shaving. The jb weld was for people like you. I torched the bracket and had a hole there Figured i would put that there that day so some newbie not knowing anything would cry. About welds.

By the way I pulled a double axle boat from NY No problems with it over 10,000 miles now. The welds holding up fine. Dont attack me. I dont even know you. And if you also read jp agin you will find out the reason cappa spoke about my welding is becuase i welded a broken front 60 shaft I broke it that day. Guess what i whelled the hammers on that shaft. So guess what rockjeep my welding must be really good or jack hammers is pu$$y stuff.

Blaine Don't know why you are getting upset I was asked a question And that was my personal answer after one day of wheeling. I even said I COULD NOT GIVE A COMPLETE REVIEW!!!

Also props to bob and scotty. They must be pro drivers becuase they had no problems on the trails.

You guys are too offend by other peoples opions. I still dont know you guys. you attacked me And I dont care I hope you guys enjoy your wheeling trips. But Is this the way this board treats its members?

Also I never said my rig is BAD A$$. And i will shurley break something over time from abuse so get a life.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Reggae

Relax. We don't attack you. Your post just came across as if you were looking for harder stuff. We just wanted to help you find the harder stuff.

There is nothing wrong with wheeling on less hard trails. We have wheeling buddies, who don't even go to Johnson Valley at all. It's all fun.

Sledgehammer is plenty tough for me.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Blaine Don't know why you are getting upset I was asked a question
Well, there are more than a couple of folks here who have competed out there and other places and Blaine is one of them. Hard not to what you said as a challenge, particularly to those who have put their money where their mouth is and competed.

I don't think anybody is saying its the absolute toughest wheeling in the US but it certainly has the be in the top group of places. If that were not the case, I seriously doubt that ARCA/RCAA and CalRocks amongst others would regularly stage events there.

As for dissing your rig - I tend not to pay to much attention to that personally as folks tend to have all kinds of opinions about all kinds of things. Hell, last year on the Rubicon at the springs, I got congratulated for getting my stock rig that far along the trail without any damage. Now I'm pretty sure that was a very sarcastic zinger tossed my way but I played it off and said thanx and acted like I thought he was serious. That assclown walking away muttering under his breath was worth the price of admission
Old 12-22-2003, 01:02 PM

No one has ever said that the Hammer's are easy. All that was said is that Sledge didn't seem particularly difficult this trip. Compared to the other Hammer's trails I've run, I would say it was one of the least difficult.

Competition means that you paid your entry fee and passed tech, doesn't mean you're an expert! More SANCTIONED comps have been held at Cougar Buttes (also JV) than at the Hammers in the last couple of years.

91yj, SOA
Old 12-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Alloy USA Pimp

That's not what you told me at the jeep show. You said the welds were ugly and wanted to smooth them out. When we were looking at it you got all defensive about it. Get your story straight. You also said that you were in a rush and that's why it was like that. That rear end was also a mess and needed some tlc. I was there and saw it in person so don't bs me. And don't go dropping capp's name. We all know someone in the business so name dropping does not impress me.
Kory
Old 12-22-2003, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Competition means that you paid your entry fee and passed tech, doesn't mean you're an expert!
...never said it did but it certainly does mean that you are doing more than talking.

As for Cougar Buttes - the fact that they can set up stages around a centralized viewing area better suits the promoters need for cash paying customers. The fact that they are no longer held at the rock garden over by the hammers, well lets just say that the organizers from the last event there didn't fare to well with the BLM after the event was concluded and leave it at that.

Frankly, I miss the old days where they ran a trail but the logistics of trail orientd events don't support the reality of motorsport operations. Personally, I think the sport will eventually move to stadiums and constructed obstacles - at least at the top end of the sanctioning bodies.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Alloy USA Pimp

I agree Robert. It was great when they ran the trail and you had to hike the trail to see. Now more drunkin A$$ holes come to watch and leave a mess for the rest to clean. Damn I miss the old days.
Kory
Old 12-22-2003, 01:24 PM

I certainly think it was implied.

I agree with you that they are going to become stadium events to be successful. IMO...and have absolutely nothing to do with the "sport" of rockcrawling.

91yj, SOA
Old 12-22-2003, 01:27 PM

I don't get it. I know most of you pretty well, and in my opinion, you're not treating the new guy as you would want to be treated. Mark posted pics of a great trip on hammers and said he was ready for even more. I didn't read any challenges, personal attacks or gauntlets thrown down. All I saw was a guy that said he ran a trail and thought it wasn't all that.

Ya know what? I've ran sledge plenty. It AIN'T all that. Its fun, but there's more fun to be had elsewhere.

He also said that he's in it for as much the people as the wheelin. Sounds like a good guy to me.

Back the truck up and act like adults.

Seth (If you aren't acting like a child, then this post doesn't apply to you.)
Old 12-22-2003, 01:29 PM

Yep, I remember the first sanctioned event there in 99 when one of the trails was Wrecking Ball - I don't know who has stacked the entrance but its a freeway now compared to the old days.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:31 PM
Reggae

Seth, I think we've been acting more like adults, than you just have.

Up to this point off course. Let the insults begin.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:34 PM

Hey look real close GET YOUR GLASSES ASK PRIME MEDIA cappa wrote the QUOTE. And if you were there you would know Thats how i know the name on the trip. I dont Know someone in the bussiness. the front track bracket with the jb. This is the only bracket that needs welding at the tip. That is 3/8 steal with a 6.5 inch weld I think the torch hole in the end will be fine with the rest of my crappy 6 inch weld still there. In the rear the upper arms at the axle Those brackets are not pretty But i all most want to leave them on just to prove the point. However if you also herd me say that then you herd me say I am taking those of to triangleate the uppers so. This is why the rear tract bar and upper brackets were rushed The are only temp. I woldn not drive across the US with my wife if I thought the welds would not hold.

Quote:
That's not what you told me at the jeep show. You said the welds were ugly and wanted to smooth them out. When we were looking at it you got all defensive about it. Get your story straight. You also said that you were in a rush and that's why it was like that. That rear end was also a mess and needed some tlc. I was there and saw it in person so don't bs me. And don't go dropping capp's name. We all know someone in the business so name dropping does not impress me.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Seth, I think we've been acting more like adults, than you just have.

Up to this point off course. Let the insults begin.
If it doesn't apply to you, then it doesn't apply to you.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:38 PM

Heh, happy holidays everybody
Old 12-22-2003, 01:39 PM

Quote:
sethmark
Thanks You actually read my post. If you want to wheel sometime with a POS tj I'll go.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:53 PM
Banned for being bad

I had to be straped out there once
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 12-22-2003, 02:00 PM

Quote:
If you want to wheel sometime with a POS tj I'll go.
Actually, most of us have POS TJ's around here
Old 12-22-2003, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Palese
I had to be straped out there once
Rescuing you while you were hiking doesn't count Don
Old 12-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Palese
I wore a strap-on out there once
Waaaay too much info!

The only hard part on Sledge was the optional waterfall I had to climb, right at that left-then-right switchback towards the bottom, because a Toy was broken down and sideways across the trail. Almost made it too, but high-centered right at the top and winched off of it.

What I read is what comes off as east coast attitude that's ruffling some feathers. I didn't sense any negativity or the like, at the beginnning of this thread.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Well, so far, the only thing truly offensive I've seen is dissin' someone's rig. That's just uncalled for.

A point was brought up that the trails change and change alot. If that is the case, please explain to me why someone such as I who probably has more trips over Sledge than the rest of you combined could not note the condition as being harder or easier than the last or last 10 times through.

I watched Seth and Tommy, followed them as the second smallest rig in the group and neither of them walked through without a struggle here and there. Next time through, you don't even slip a tire. Who's to say whether you just happen to nail the lines or the trail got easier?

I do know that the last time out on Claw, I had a very good day. No stucks, one back-up, nailed the line on the big and the little fall, and the only back-up I took was after my mulligan to get lined up for the launch over the exit.

Did Claw get easier? Doubt it, it was still a pretty good struggle for some on the trail that day, I just wasn't one of them.

Aftershock is arguably the easier one out there. That said, it does reach out and bite you now and then. We were going to use it as a tune up for some other stuff, but after damages incurred, we called it good for the day.

Basically when I say that the trail got a bit harder, unless you were there with me, or I with you on the easy days, it's just speculation from the outside looking in, eh?