Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 03-04-2004, 01:48 PM

Ever had a seller back out on you?

I've heard of buyer's backing out, but never sellers. Oh well, if you aren't 100% sure you want to sell something, don't commit to selling it! This changes my plans entirelly and puts me back at square one. Glad I read my e-mail before I went and ordered a synthetic rope today. Thanks alot!
Old 03-04-2004, 02:12 PM

Re: Ever had a seller back out on you?

Quote:
Originally posted by BMRisko
I've heard of buyer's backing out, but never sellers. Oh well, if you aren't 100% sure you want to sell something, don't commit to selling it! This changes my plans entirelly and puts me back at square one. Glad I read my e-mail before I went and ordered a synthetic rope today. Thanks alot!
Although not directly related.....I legally backed out of selling my house last year. I felt I had good reason. The potential buyer ran into road bumps due to being on a co-signer loan that became 30 days delinquint (it was their kids car loan) & their credit scores droped below the required strength needed to secure a 100% financing $400,000 loan the day prior to closing. I didn't have much choice, the buyer couldn't secure the loan needed, so I backed out as a seller.

This situation had the potential of costing me $$$. I put my house back on the market the next day & it sold immediately.

Yes, my situation has nothing to do with Jeeps, but there are all sorts of situations where backing out is prudent. Maybe the item got stolen, has broke, etc. Did you discuss with the seller either over the phone or by email to satisfy the reasoning behind backing out? Or is this not explained to your satisfaction as to why?
Old 03-04-2004, 02:47 PM

His explanation was that he decided to keep it. Its more of a set-back for me than anything and saving close to $100 would have been nice, especially when building on a college budget. Just thought I'd post and see if any others have experienced similar situations. Yes, I understand things come up and agreeing on something is not a binding contract, but it still ticks me off since I had already made plans to pick it up and get the required funds, etc. Oh well, thats life I suppose.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Reggae

Here is a story:

I put an item on e-bay, with a flat rate shipping fee to anywhere in Continental USA.

The high bidder from CA declined to pay the shipping charge, motivating that it wouldn't cost me as much to ship to CA, being I am also from CA.

I said fine, but at least pay the Sales Tax, then.

He demanded to see my social security number before he would pay the sales tax.

I said, fine, I'll pay your sales tax; I don't want to give you my SSN.

He said he wasn't comfortable dealing with me, and demanded we go through an Escrow service, and that I should pay for it.

The deal was off.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to mudpup Send a message via Yahoo to mudpup
this week had an ebay buyer backout, HE paypaled the money to the wrong account, I told him to send it to the right account, haven't heard from him since
Old 03-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
what a butthead. Flatrate is flatrate. Sounds like you were dealing with a Democrat.

Yeah, I've had deals go south like that. poop happens, sometimes for a reason. You watching POR BM? Been winch deals lately. Just noticed that Superwinch prices are down (still too expensive IMHO, but down nonetheless) in the latest JC Whitless catalog.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to mudpup Send a message via Yahoo to mudpup
that reminds me, anyone want a hpi rs4 2 nitro R/C car, I paid $50 for it, sold on eba for $118 but guy never paid, if anyone here wants it, I'll sell for $50 plus shipping
Old 03-04-2004, 03:57 PM

How about free shipping and deduct the sales tax for CA?
Old 03-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Banned for being bad

I sold my springs and made it clear that the special price was for local only because of no shipping charge involved and the person buying them wants me to pay for shipping so DEAL OFF im keeping them!!!!
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 04:01 PM

Quote:
His explanation was that he decided to keep it.
Seems kinda lame to me. I wonder if there's another offer on the table for a higher price? Hmm
Old 03-04-2004, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dillard
Seems kinda lame to me. I wonder if there's another offer on the table for a higher price? Hmm
Not sure, don't really care about that deal anymore. I'll find one elsewhere. He deleted his For Sale ad here as well.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbassett
what a butthead. Flatrate is flatrate. Sounds like you were dealing with a Democrat.

Yeah, I've had deals go south like that. poop happens, sometimes for a reason. You watching POR BM? Been winch deals lately. Just noticed that Superwinch prices are down (still too expensive IMHO, but down nonetheless) in the latest JC Whitless catalog.
Yea I am not sold on Superwinch yet, but they do have a new line coming out. Still wanting to stick with a Warn for now. 4WPW (yuck) has them for $499 w/ free shipping now. I am going w/ a synthetic line so the hawse and 80' of cable don't bother me.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry I backed out. Yes he is talking about me. I backed out on the deal with the Warn and Ready Welder Today. I have decided to stay in 4x4ing. I'm sure you will find another deal like we had you really wern't getting that good of deal it was about $75 less then what you would buy it retail but mine has never been used yet. So I'm sure you kind find another like mine without a lot of effort.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:57 PM

Re: Re: Ever had a seller back out on you?

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_WHITE_TJ_X
Sorry I backed out. Yes he is talking about me. I backed out on the deal with the Warn and Ready Welder Today. I have decided to stay in 4x4ing. I'm sure you will find another deal like we had you really wern't getting that good of deal it was about $75 less then what you would buy it retail but mine has never been used yet. So I'm sure you kind find another like mine without a lot of effort.
Glad to hear you are sticking with the sport. True, it wasn't a super killer deal, but $75 is alot of food $ for me. Anyways, See ya on the trail.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Sorry I backed out. Yes he is talking about me.
Now there is a shock.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:20 PM

I'm NOT saying this is what everybody should do......but I would have swallowed my losses & went ahead with the deal. It's just material things, but........

I find it easier to hold my head up & keep a business agreement than to say sorry in a case like this.

Just out of curiocity, I wonder if things like this are done in the "backyard".
Old 03-04-2004, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Only once, then everyone is informed which prick to not conduct business with.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Quote:
I'm NOT saying this is what everybody should do......but I would have swallowed my losses & went ahead with the deal. It's just material things, but........

I find it easier to hold my head up & keep a business agreement than to say sorry in a case like this.

I am saying that is what everybody should do. Once upon a time (probably before I was born) a promise was a promise.

02_WHITE_TJ_X commited to a deal, and should have honored it. He should not have put the items up for sale until he was absolutely and completely certain beyond ANY doubt, that he was getting out of the sport.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Overkill
I am saying that is what everybody should do. Once upon a time (probably before I was born) a promise was a promise.

02_WHITE_TJ_X commited to a deal, and should have honored it. He should not have put the items up for sale until he was absolutely and completely certain beyond ANY doubt, that he was getting out of the sport.
He was just afraid that if I found out about it, I would make him send back the remote I sent him.

I do agree with not backing out of a deal, no matter the cost if you are the seller.

I made a deal for a set of rims, me providing new ones of the seller's choice from America's tire for a set of Rubicon rims for my wife's rig. Within reason, between 90 and 120 each of his choice, NIB.

It was all set, I was to meet the guy at the store with money in hand on a Saturday morning. Friday evening he emails me a link to an Ebay auction where some fool had bid up a set of them to over a grand for five and then told me to go pound sand.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:37 PM
ghall

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
He was just afraid that if I found out about it, I would make him send back the remote I sent him.

I do agree with not backing out of a deal, no matter the cost if you are the seller.

I made a deal for a set of rims, me providing new ones of the seller's choice from America's tire for a set of Rubicon rims for my wife's rig. Within reason, between 90 and 120 each of his choice, NIB.

It was all set, I was to meet the guy at the store with money in hand on a Saturday morning. Friday evening he emails me a link to an Ebay auction where some fool had bid up a set of them to over a grand for five and then told me to go pound sand.
I feel your pain. I have been waiting for a set of 37x15 MTR's as the promiced payment for a two year old debt.
Garry
Old 03-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Reggae

What do you need MTRs for? All the cool guys run BFG Krawlers these days.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:16 PM
ghall

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
What do you need MTRs for? All the cool guys run BFG Krawlers these days.
If you must ask. Only to clear up an old debt.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Reggae

So, is this about money, or principal, or what?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ghall
I feel your pain. I have been waiting for a set of 37x15 MTR's as the promiced payment for a two year old debt.
Garry
I'm still waiting on a hand to do a few mods here and there. Reckon I'll ever see that?

In the meantime, just consider the 10 or 11 hours I spent working on your junk as interest till I get the money sent to you.

I'll go a step further. If you ever mention it again, you'll rot in hell before you get paid.

The manner in which you spoke to my wife is uncalled for and I would hope you had the nuts to kick my ass if I ever spoke to your wife the same way.

edit- the more I think about it, the more irritated this makes me.

Why don't we clear up some old debts?

Did you mention that you paid for a jeep in 300 dollar chunks but when you wanted coilovers, you were more than happy to take a lump sum to buy parts with?

Did you forget where that little spate of work took place?

Did you leave out the part where I hauled those damn tires around in my truck for two weeks trying to meet you somewhere with them?

Did you leave out the 95 trips to Currie on your behalf to help with you and your friends projects?

The list is endless Garry, if you are gonna be a little ankle bitin' dog, why don't you move your ass to Nevada with the rest of your brethren?

How much did I charge you to run my rig through the little sluice?

Over pumpkin eater when the trail leader (you) found himself without a rig?

I don't know about you, but my fuel bill alone would more that pay for those stinking tires.

No worries though. I'll get you your money when I damn well feel like it.

And you have to audacity to even remotely accuse me of being myopic?

Tell you what, until you get that check I owe you, why don't you go fawk yourself?
Old 03-05-2004, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Tracy,

Isn't this the same thing that other people did to you? You can't renig on a deal, even if you screwed up. Take your lumps and move on.

What if BMRisko leaves Jeeping because of this? Are you comfortable knowing that would be your fault?

IMO you owe him at least the $75 that he would have "saved" buying through you.

You reap what you sow - what goes around comes around - don't spit into the wind - etc.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Ever had a seller back out on you?

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Tracy,

Isn't this the same thing that other people did to you? You can't renig on a deal, even if you screwed up. Take your lumps and move on.

What if BMRisko leaves Jeeping because of this? Are you comfortable knowing that would be your fault?

IMO you owe him at least the $75 that he would have "saved" buying through you.

You reap what you sow - what goes around comes around - don't spit into the wind - etc.

Jeff
I agree what I did was wrong. The other deals poeple were under contract to buy "Ebay" that IMO is different but not buy much. I have given good deals to people on this board "Allen, even Blaine and I had a fair trade" not to mention the 10 other people over on JU that are happy with my dealings and my perfect rating on Ebay t_d_olson Ebay name if you want to look. Yes I was wrong on this one and I'm taking the hit for it. At least I have the balls to stand up and say it was me this was not intentional. But after my last flogging I took due to a deal with someone on pirate and Ebay I don't want to loose any more money I can't afford to else I will never be jeeping again and I sold a RE 4.5 Superflex lift and a D44 axle that where both payed for in cash in the beginning. So beat me up for this one we'll all move on and I'm sure in the future I can get back to clean dealing with this board.

If this person is travling through Columbus on his travles I will be more then happy to buy him lunch, beer, soda whatever and sit and have a good conversation and move on.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:28 PM

Wow.

or

Whoa.

I'm not sure which.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Tell you what, since Tracy has admitted fault, I will list a couple of options below and you are welcome to pick as you see fit.

(A) Do nothing

(B) ban him from the For Sale section

(C) ban him period, before Karma smites us all

I recommend option B as I am fairly certain he would wish the same on the deadbeat sellers on Ebay.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Tell you what, since Tracy has admitted fault, I will list a couple of options below and you are welcome to pick as you see fit.

(A) Do nothing

(B) ban him from the For Sale section

(C) ban him period, before Karma smites us all

I recommend option B as I am fairly certain he would wish the same on the deadbeat sellers on Ebay.
From what I see above you better do something to the person your refering to. That deal sounds a lot worse then what is going on here.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Ever had a seller back out on you?

Quote:
From what I see above you better do something to the person your refering to. That deal sounds a lot worse then what is going on here.
Nah, that's old news with a long history of doing deals back and forth. He just chose this one to get crappy about. A very bizarre way to suddenly consider everything even up and I now owe him.

The way I figure it, if we was to submit bills to one another, he'd be way on the short end of it.

I'll send him his money, he just had best be glad he don't provoke me again and it winds up as a cashiers checque for 550.00 made out to the Friends of Panamint Valley.

On second thought, I may just Next Day Air a pair of chrome tube bumpers to him that he's been storing in my garage and deduct that from the money and send him the difference made out to FOPV.

edit-btw Tracy, this is the same crap he's becoming well known for. There have been no other requests for any of this to get resolved until this public posting by him. Not a note, phone call, PM, e-mail, personal visit, nada, zip, zilch. Just hidin' in the bushes waiting to jump out and bite someone on the ankle.