Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 12:42 PM

tj steering box adjustment

Steering box on my '03 TJ isn't so tight anymore. There is a noticeable amount of play between the turning of the steering wheel and the activation of the pitman arm, leaving a dead spot near the center which allows no steering response. i suspect this may be contributing to steering wander and slop i feel at all speeds (no DW).

I have read that it is possible to make an adjustment to the steering box to eliminate some of the play in it by first straightening the box alignment, loosening the lock nut on the box, and turning the allen screw in 1/8 turn increments with the wheels off the ground, until the play is minimized.

Is this advisable to do on my own, or will catastrophe and steering box failure ensue? I know that these boxes can be touchy...

thanks in advance for any tips.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:33 PM

I was having the same issue with mine, and yes, the boxes can be touchy. I finally got mine straightened out but the adjustment is backwards from what I consider normal. I had about an inch and a quarter wheel play that was dead at the wheels and it took 3/4 of a turn of the adjuster to get it to tighten up.

Here's the kicker...you have to back the adjuster out to get it to tighten. The sector shaft loads from the bottom on the Mercedes boxes and I guess it must be spring loaded somehow. When you back the adjuster out of the box the sector shaft moves deeper into the worm and takes the slop out of the box. You can do it, just go a little at a time and when you are no longer gaining run the adjuster back in an 1/8th of a turn.

Theres actually a procedure in the FSM but you have to pull the box and I'd prefer not to go through the hassle. Just my opinion.

Good luck.