Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > Black Label

Black Label Have you been treated good or bad? Share your story. This is the place to praise or shame

Old 07-23-2001, 09:01 PM
Banned

Good Thing: Battery Info

Just thought I'd let the unconventional crowd know where to find some good info on batteries. JCI (Johnson Controls Inc./Johnson Controls Battery Group), http://www.jci.com/bg makes a lot of the common auto batteries (DieHard, Duralast, Energizer®, Equalizer®, Eveready®, EverStart, Interstate, Kirkland Signature and Motorcraft). They also now own Optima.

I keep forgetting, I think it's Hawker that owns Odyssey. Anyway, Odyssey has some very tough batteries (Hawker originally designed the Optima and then sold the company some time back), and are somewhat of a next generation Optima. They offer a lot of things that conventional batteries just can't hold a candle to. So, here's their web address, http://www.odysseyfactory.com . By the way, Hawker designs mil-spec stuff and is used in many military applications

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 07-24-2001, 05:47 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> By the way, Hawker designs mil-spec stuff and is used in many military applications
[/quote]
I love that term "Milspec".. hahahahaa..

If people only knew!

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-24-2001, 07:38 AM
Banned

The reason I mentioned it is because the Odyssey/Hawker is designed to work on a mine hunter with a 16 inch gun going off and being hit with a depth charge at the same time, or hitting it with a 2,500 pound hammer.

Somewhere I thought I read that it would continue to provide some power with a hole in it, as there is no free acid inside and the plates that were undamaged would still provide power (but I don't know this as fact, I can't find it again).

Old 07-24-2001, 07:12 PM

You know, there was this guy in San Francisco who wanted "Battle lanterns". Neat little yellow lanterns. Seems he was impressed that they were water proof, you could drop them 10 - 15 feet and they'd survive, and were simple to maintain. He at one point offerred me 75 dollars to take one of my ship and give it to him.

I found a surplus store and pointed him that way. He bought.. tons of them. I think about 20 all togehter. He was so estatic, it was just beyond funny.

Then, reality sunk in. They run off the HUGE 6 volt batteries (they take two), they wieght about 7 pounds each. They put out a dismal amount of light. And they last only about 4 hours while on.
Cool yes, meet his need, NO.

But, they were MILSPEC. Designed to take a beating etc..

that battery: get shockwaves from a mine.. being shot at... run with holes in it.

the catapillar battery, it's designed to be in high tempratures, bounced all day long, low, and high speed vibes, dust, mud, grease and grime. And it's made to last these conditions for at least 4 years.

Which condition is your jeep more likely to encounter?

If you're wheeling in mine fields, you've got other issues than battery life.

R/
William
Old 07-24-2001, 07:37 PM
Banned

You're obviously a man that knows what he wants But I'm guessing you didn't read anything from the sites I posted above. Mil-spec is one attribute of the battery, not to be taken as the best or only attribute, just one. I posted the sites in case you have any additional questions about both some of the 'mainstream' batteries (Diehard, Kirkland, etc) and Odyssey. All that being said, I think you'd probably like the Caterpillar or Optima better

Old 07-25-2001, 06:05 AM

No Ace, actually, I prefer the one I have. It works fine, has never failed.

I'm just poking fun at you about the "milspec" attribute that people swear by. I know a few things about "milspec" stuff... and it makes me laugh that people prefer "milspec"... Hummers are mostly "milspec" LOL.. While you said that it was just one attribute, you also said in your above post

(qoute) The reason I mentioned it is because the Odyssey/Hawker is designed to work on a mine hunter with a 16 inch gun going off and being hit with a depth charge at the same time, or hitting it with a 2,500 pound hammer.(end qoute)

So, I was addressing that comment. Nothing to do with any other issues.

The people that really abuse stuff, SEAL, EOD, SWCC and divers.. Do you want to know how they decide what to buy? They go to the store and say "hey, I want some of those". They don't take anything that is GSA issue. Well somethings, but not really much.

What am I going to buy when my battery dies? Prolly a catapillar battery. But nothing set in stone.

Who knows, I might start Jeeping in a mine field!

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-25-2001, 07:57 AM
Banned

I gotcha William. I've been close to some spec-ops people in the past and there's definitely a reason they pick their own stuff when they can.

I tried to get as much info as I could about the Caterpillar battery, and read through everything I could find applicable in their 130 page battery cross-reference guide and website. I sure would like additional information on them though if I can find it. I got everything worth while from caterpillar.com, but it didn't really give me much as far as specs, and my nearest dealer told me they've got them in stock but couldn't tell me the manufacturer or any of the specs. If you've got 'em let me know.

Edit: It looks like the Caterpillar is built by Delphi (which makes ACDelco batteries), but I can't find specs for the Cat label (if it's different than ACDelco).

[This message was edited by Ace! on July 25, 2001 at 09:28 AM.]
Old 07-25-2001, 11:21 AM

I, for one, will never get close to those guys again. I went drinking with them one night before a "northern viking" thing.. they're nuts. But girls sure like them

I can find word of mouth info above and beyond what is available on the catapillar site.. but that's about it. I wasn't aware that Delco made them, but then again, I didn't know yesterday that the clocks on my wall were made by blind people. It's not who makes it, but how it's made.. I guess. I am aware of how durable they are in thier own application, and the abuse they put up with, somewhat first hand. I'll see what's out there.

Remember though, on advice from me: I'm the guy who runs 15w40 in his jeep and swears by it, so YMMV.

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-25-2001, 12:20 PM
Banned

Just so you know, I'm not sure Delco makes 'em, just saw some stuff about Delphi making both Delco and Caterpillar batteries (not sure if they have a relation to each other, or what that would be though).

Old 08-03-2001, 07:33 AM
Banned

Found out who mfgs Caterpillar

Deka, aka East Penn Manufacturing Co. manufactures the Caterpillar battery.

Johnson Controls manufactures DieHard, Equalizer, Kirkland (Costco), Everstart and Interstate. They also own and manufacture Optima.

Hawker manufactures Odyssey.

Old 08-26-2001, 10:52 PM

optima info

just for info, costco has red top optimas for $99.
Old 08-26-2001, 11:02 PM
Reggae

Ace, do you know where I can buy a Caterpillar battery to fit the standard spot in my jeep?

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 08-27-2001, 07:22 AM
Banned

I know where you can buy a Caterpillar battery in Medford, Oregon, but I doubt it'd make much sense to buy it up here Our tractor dealers carry the batteries to fit the tractors they sell as well as cars and trucks. You might check your nearest Caterpillar dealer, which is probably Hawthorne Machinery (based on the lookup feature on the Caterpillar site). There is also an "application" guide online at the Caterpillar site, if I remember correctly, so you can get the appropriate part number. I don't know how much they are, but if you need a good battery you might also ask Blaine about the Odyssey line.

Also, not all Costcos are carrying the Red Top (or any other Optima). It's a regional thing, just like our Costco here has to special order BFG ATs, but has tons of BFG MTs in stock. Signal Hill (Long Beach) had to special order the MTs but had ATs in stock. The Kirkland (Costco) brand battery is made by the same company that owns Optima, although the Kirkland and Optima batteries are not the same battery.

Old 08-29-2001, 10:39 AM

TO,

I can find a Cat battery, and I know where to get it. If you are interested, let me know. I've got a pretty good line on them, I think.

R/
William Karstens
Old 08-29-2001, 12:00 PM
Reggae

Excellent! Get me one please.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 08-29-2001, 12:19 PM

I'll get the info and cost for you.

R/
William Karstens