Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 05-02-2008, 11:52 AM

Is that new rear seal for the 32RH going to fix the leak?

My newly installed 32RH has the extended rear seal made by Tera that is needed when you're using a 231 that was configured for the AX-15 transmission. It leaks ATF fairly badly between the tranny and 231, especially when it gets fully warmed up. I thought I probably just boogered the new seal up when installing it, but I have read of others with this same leak using the same extended seal.

Joe (Gunnys TJ) and I will be pulling the 231 Sunday to replace the seal but I'm now concerned there may be more to this leak since reading of others having what sounds like the same leak. I'll RTV the aluminum part of the extended seal where it fits into the transmission and grease the actual seal before bolting the 231 up, but does anyone have any insight whether or not this will likely fix the leak? I'm outside my comfort factor here, thanks guys.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:42 PM

Jerry, I had this seal on my TJ when i put a tcase from a 5 speed in. It did not leak. I would say you boogered the seal. RTV just a little where it mounts might help. Be very careful when reinstalling the tcase. Grease will definatley help.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:47 AM

Thanks Al, that was what I wanted to hear.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:19 PM

So far, so good. Took a long drive this afternoon to get the tranny as hot as I could (180) after bolting everything back together and it's not leaking. The junction between the t-case and tranny is dry at last, at least it so far.

Oh... when replacing the t-case, don't forget to replace the front driveshaft before bolting up the skidplate up as I did today. I was making good time until that brain fart which is not made any easier by the RE skidplate that has something like 28 bolts/nuts to deal with.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:02 PM

Great to hear that Jerry!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 PM
dennisuello

When I put NVG241OR behind my 32RH, I had to use two of those seal extenders stacked (one was machined down to fit into the other one) to seal against the t-case input shaft.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:34 AM

Is yours leak-free with both of those? Nearly a week after installing the new extended seal and the leak appears to be gone, it's bone dry between the tranny and t-case. Next weekend at Hi-Desert Roundup will be a big test for it.