Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-15-2008, 10:03 AM

Cool new product from Advance for the 42RLE

http://www.advanceadapters.com/rubicrawler/ Think of a Klune that retains the original length of everything by just replacing the 42RLE automatic transmission's tail cone housing. Approx. cost is probably going to be somewhere close to maybe $1500 to $1800-$1900 with an electric shifter they're thinking of making available. Anyway, it looks like a very cool product for you 42RLE owners!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

2.72 x 2.72 = 7.40:1 total reduction. How do you use that with an auto transmission?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Reggae

With no problems whatsoever, I assume, if you want to go slow. But if you want to use momentum, then, I guess, you lock the extra gear set out. Does the new thing have a pass-through mode?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:34 PM

RubiCrawler

OH great!!..A slower turtle';>) Sounds good to me! I hope it tucks in with the Nth.

Al
Old 07-16-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
With no problems whatsoever, I assume, if you want to go slow. But if you want to use momentum, then, I guess, you lock the extra gear set out. Does the new thing have a pass-through mode?
It can be shifted in and out as needed. It's going to come standard with some kind of shift lever but their goal is to introduce an electric shifter for it if they can get the electric shifter's cost down from what it is so far.

I also asked the AA guy about making this for other auto trannies like the 32RH or AW4 and he said it'd be tough if not imposible. He said the reason is that the 42RLE has a 2-piece output shaft which allows the Rubi Crawler's reduction gearing to mate up easily, while the 32RH and AW4 have a 1-piece shaft that wouldn't work for it.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:25 AM

I saw that on another froum. I'll get that instead of a 4-1. It makes you have a 4 speed tcase. It should also be a lot cheaper than an atlas tcase.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn View Post
I saw that on another froum. I'll get that instead of a 4-1. It makes you have a 4 speed tcase. It should also be a lot cheaper than an atlas tcase.
A little less but not that much. The AA rep said he guessed it'd come in around $1500 and maybe $1900 if they can get it priced right with the electric shifter.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:54 PM

If it is that much then they won't sell much. An atlas or Rubicon tcase costs $2000-2400, depending on where you get it.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
A little less but not that much. The AA rep said he guessed it'd come in around $1500 and maybe $1900 if they can get it priced right with the electric shifter.
That price point is not going to sell very well and it seems contradictory to their website statement:
Quote:
Do you dream of having multiple 4wd low ranges just like the latest and greatest after market transfer cases without having to sacrifice your bank account [...]?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
That price point is not going to sell very well and it seems contradictory to their website statement:
I agree, though the AA rep that gave me that pricing was only responding to my "what's your best guess at pricing" question since its price hasn't yet been officially announced.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn View Post
If it is that much then they won't sell much. An atlas or Rubicon tcase costs $2000-2400, depending on where you get it.
Maybe, but you have to factor in how much easier this will be to install, the 4 range factor, plus what looks to be a very simple and elegant solution.

You may not even have to mess with driveshafts, which would really make it a more viable cost effective swap.