Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-03-2009, 07:54 AM

Advance Adapter's 2-Speed Transfer Case

In addition to some specific questions I have, I am looking for some pros & cons input on Advance Adapter's 2-speed transfer case.

I have a 2000 TJ with a swapped-in Dodge Magnum 5.9L V8, a 46RE 4-speed automatic transmission, along with 4.56 gears and 35" tires. I also have a first generation STaK 4x4 3-speed Monster Box transfer case (with 1:1, 3:1, and 5.44:1 ratios) that I have not been happy with since day 1. I am not going to use this thread to go into the many problems I have had with my STaK transfer case, except to say that I need to be able to flat tow my TJ behind a Dodge 3500 pickup & camper rig, and that cannot be done with the STaK case without destroying it (or having to otherwise disconnect the rear drive line, which I am not interested in doing on a routine basis).

I have talked with Advance Adapters, and they confirm that once it is properly broken in, their 2-speed gear-driven transfer case can be safely flat towed (which is not the case with their 4-speed unit). If I make the switch to the AA 2-speed transfer case, I would likely go with their 1:1 and 3.8:1 version.

Here are my questions on AA's 2-speed transfer case:

1) Has anyone had any problems flat towing with this unit?

2) How relatively easy is it to shift? Any problems with it popping out of gear?

3) Since some gear-driven transfer cases are known to spit gear oil out of the vent line during operation, has anyone had any significant issues along these lines with AA's 2-speed transfer case?

4) Has anyone had any issues with gear oil leaks coming from the case itself?

5) How about noise coming from the shifters? I ask, as the shifters on my STaK Monster Box have rattled and buzzed so loudly that you can't drown out the aggravating noise even with the stereo blasting.

6) Is there anything else that anyone has experienced with their AA 2-speed transfer case that I should know about (good or bad)?

BTW, I would really appreciate it if we can keep this from turning into a thread about going with a trailer, removal/re-attachment tricks for the rear drive line, going with a full-floater rear end with hubs, etc., etc.

Thanks in advance,
Don
Old 08-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Here are my questions on AA's 2-speed transfer case:

1) Has anyone had any problems flat towing with this unit?

No, but I've only flat towed distances under 100 miles. Installed the 4.3 unit when they first became available - in a 4.0 litre 97 TJ.

2) How relatively easy is it to shift? Any problems with it popping out of gear?

Shifting is fine; however, on mine (and my brother's) you must come to a stop to shift into low range, which is contrary to the mfg's instructions. Did have some problem with the front popping out of gear, but linkage adjustment resolved the issue.

3) Since some gear-driven transfer cases are known to spit gear oil out of the vent line during operation, has anyone had any significant issues along these lines with AA's 2-speed transfer case?

No problem spitting oil - my vent line is routed to the firewall above the master cyllinder.

4) Has anyone had any issues with gear oil leaks coming from the case itself?

No. I thought so once, but it was the o-ring on the speedometer housing.

5) How about noise coming from the shifters? I ask, as the shifters on my STaK Monster Box have rattled and buzzed so loudly that you can't drown out the aggravating noise even with the stereo blasting.

Not super quiet, but nothing objectionable, nor any where near what you describe for the STaK.

6) Is there anything else that anyone has experienced with their AA 2-speed transfer case that I should know about (good or bad)?

It's a well made unit that I would buy again.

BTW, I would really appreciate it if we can keep this from turning into a thread about going with a trailer, removal/re-attachment tricks for the rear drive line, going with a full-floater rear end with hubs, etc., etc.

Thanks in advance,
Don[/QUOTE]
Old 08-04-2009, 04:08 PM

1) I have never flat towed mine.
2) It's easy to shift. If you get the driveline in a bind, it gets tough. It has never popped out of gear.
3) It has never spit that I know of.
4) It has never leaked.
5) I have the 5.0, so when in low, it whines some but not badly. It sounds like you would think it should sound.
6) Two friends helped install it in my YJ, which was real easy with their help since they had done a few of them. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I also recommend ordering it flat clocked. Mine has the standard shifters.

I ended up shortening the front drive shaft ~2.25" and lengthened the rear ~1.5". I had a NP231 with a M.I.T. SYE kit & CV shaft on it prior to the Atlas install.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:19 PM

And now for something completely different ...

Deke-j & Joe,

Thanks a lot for your input ... I really appreciate it.

The bottom-line is that I am definitely getting rid of my STaK 3-speed transfer case, but things have interestingly changed since I first posted on this a couple of days ago. Beyond the fact that I have had a lot of issues with my STaK unit, it honestly turned out to be more transfer case than I really needed for my type of wheeling (which, while it can be challenging at times, does not typically come up to the Johnson Valley level of difficulty).

While I was proceeding with the idea of getting an Atlas 3.8:1 2-speed transfer case to replace my STaK unit, I had a valuable talk with Blaine which led to a new avenue I hadn't thought of before, and that was a TJ Rubicon NV-241 4:1 2-speed factory transfer case. This option would still provide the 4-low ratio I was looking for, but it is less expensive, smaller/lighter, easier to install, and more straightforward to shift.

So, that is now the direction I am currently headed in. The only open-ended issue is that of bolting up an NV-241 to my 46RE automatic transmission. I found out from Steve Roberts at Advance Adapters yesterday that the 46RE and NV-241 share the same bolt up pattern which is good news. However, beyond that, is the equally important issue associated with the output shaft from my 46RE transmission. Steve indicated that if the tranny output shaft is flush or positive (sticks out) with respect to the housing, then an NV-241 transfer case can work. However, if the tranny shaft is recessed, then all bets are off. In such a case, Steve said that there would be inadequate engagement between the transfer case & transmission and that there is no part or adapter made to make it work.

The problem is, I have absolutely no idea what configuration my 46RE output shaft is in (i.e., positive, flush, or recessed). I've got messages into three places (including the transmission place I originally got the 46RE from), so hopefully I can get a go/no-go answer before too long.

Thanks again,
Don
Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 PM

You are most welcome Don.