Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 PM

Tow Bar Brackets on an ARB Front Bumper ?

Once I get my transfer case swap done, I am planning on flat towing my TJ behind my Dodge 3500/slide-in camper rig. And since I have an ARB Bull Bar front bumper on my TJ, has anyone ever heard of someone welding-on or bolting-up the necessary tow bar brackets to an ARB?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
like this?

you might have to zoom in a bit. Chris welded the tabs on so that we could use it for our tow bar and D rings

Tam
Old 08-05-2009, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the photo. The trouble is, the "D-rings" (such as they are) on an ARB Bull Bar bumper are rather anemic. However, after doing a search, I was able to find this photo on JU of bolted-on tow bar brackets on an ARB:

I don't know if it would be an issue or not, but I am a bit concerned in that the brackets are bolted to the "wings" of the ARB bumper which angle back (instead of being a flat surface). I am going to PM the guy and see if he has had any issues as well as to find out what tow bar he uses.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
Once I get my transfer case swap done, I am planning on flat towing my TJ behind my Dodge 3500/slide-in camper rig. And since I have an ARB Bull Bar front bumper on my TJ, has anyone ever heard of someone welding-on or bolting-up the necessary tow bar brackets to an ARB?

We do tow bar brackets all the time on JK's and KJ's on the ARB bumpers. We use a big backing plate behind the tow bar bracket and we make sure the bumper is attached properly. We put them in the center section of the bumpers near the wince mounting area of the bumper which is ussally stronger. I will see if I can dig up a picture.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 08-06-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
We do tow bar brackets all the time on JK's and KJ's on the ARB bumpers. We use a big backing plate behind the tow bar bracket and we make sure the bumper is attached properly. We put them in the center section of the bumpers near the wince mounting area of the bumper which is ussally stronger. I will see if I can dig up a picture.
That sounds great. And if you could dig up a pic or two, I would sure appreciate it.

Blaine is going to be doing some mods to my Jeep after he gets his move out of the way, so maybe there might be a way to get something like this done around the same time. BTW, do you use a commercially available tow bar with your ARB brackets, or do you fab up the tow bar as well?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
That sounds great. And if you could dig up a pic or two, I would sure appreciate it.

Blaine is going to be doing some mods to my Jeep after he gets his move out of the way, so maybe there might be a way to get something like this done around the same time. BTW, do you use a commercially available tow bar with your ARB brackets, or do you fab up the tow bar as well?
We just use either a roadmaster type, or a Hidden hitch type. The roadmaster type is popular with the RV croud since they get close and hook it in, then drive forward to lock it in. Cost is also high in the $600ish range.....

I use the $150 Hidden Hitch a-frame type on my Jeep and anyone wanting something less expensive.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 08-06-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
We just use either a roadmaster type, or a Hidden hitch type. The roadmaster type is popular with the RV croud since they get close and hook it in, then drive forward to lock it in. Cost is also high in the $600ish range.....

I use the $150 Hidden Hitch a-frame type on my Jeep and anyone wanting something less expensive.
OK, thanks ... I'll check out both the Roadmaster & Hidden Hitch types. Again, if you can dig up any pics of your ARB brackets, that would be great.

Thanks again,
Don
Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 AM

the hidden bracket that fit under the bumber tend get banged on when wheeling and there very spendy from roadmaster. something attatched to the center of the bumper with a backing plate may work better for you.
Steve
Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the input Steve, and you're right, I don't want brackets hanging down under my bumper. By the way, just curious, but what tow bars do you and Tim use to flat tow your TJ's?

Don
Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 AM

I have a roadmaster tow bar that I go off craigs list for a couple hunderd dollars, it came with the tow bracket. I sold the brackets that hung from the frame and used the rest on my bumper. I bought a break buddy system off of ebay for about half price and I was set.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the info & pics Steve